Customer Service 866.965.0400

Strip Washing before polishing

j-r35

Question

While browsing the forums, i've seen people mention strip washing before they start polishing.  My question is do you just pour some apc into the bucket and start washing?  What i've been doing is just claying the entire vehicle then start polishing as I thought that claying strips all protection (wax/polishes).  Usually end up claying most of the vehicle before polishing since Alaska roads are rough on them especially over the winter months.  

20 answers to this question

What i usually do is mix some APC in my soap bucket and wash my truck like normal.  After that if it needs clay ill do that etc.  before polishing on the panel im working on i usually wipe it down with diluted IPA  to make sure there is no more wax or sealant on the area im working on.  If you're unsure,  just pour a little bit of water over the area and see what the water does (if it beads up there is still protection on your paint)

I think claying HELPS remove LSP's but i do not trust it alone.  

What i usually do is mix some APC in my soap bucket and wash my truck like normal.  After that if it needs clay ill do that etc.  before polishing on the panel im working on i usually wipe it down with diluted IPA  to make sure there is no more wax or sealant on the area im working on.  If you're unsure,  just pour a little bit of water over the area and see what the water does (if it beads up there is still protection on your paint)

I think claying HELPS remove LSP's but i do not trust it alone.  

I agree with everything said here! I usually incorporate Dawn dish soap for  a extra strip.... esp if I know that I will re wash the vehicle after polishing and sealant/wax.

I agree with everything said here! I usually incorporate Dawn dish soap for  a extra strip.... esp if I know that I will re wash the vehicle after polishing and sealant/wax.

That's what I use before claying/polishing to ensure all wax/sealant products are removed from the surface. 

Using Dawn to strip wash will dry out your rubber trim. It is much safer to mix some APC into your regular wash bucket and proceed from there.

True and not true... 

If you were to never condition your trim and seals with SVRT it would be a concern, but I think its safe to assume that everyone here does treat their seals, trim, and other parts with SVRT after each detail. 

The reason I prefer the APC/CWS mix option is it gives me control over how aggressive or mild I want to get, plus the foaming/suds are more sustained and cling better. Dawn suds fade quickly... to the point where most of the time if I use it I'm left with not much suds when I'm about 2/3rd the way thru the wash. 

APC+CWS foams really nice... especially if you use a foam gun or cannon. 

True and not true... 

If you were to never condition your trim and seals with SVRT it would be a concern, but I think its safe to assume that everyone here does treat their seals, trim, and other parts with SVRT after each detail. 

Not the newcomers, or those just starting out with the basics. I never thought of treating my weatherstripping with tire dressing until I started using Adam's, because of both the newly-gained knowledge and the quality of the product compared to what I was using prior.

Aside from the whole drying out trim & alkalinity thing - a Dawn wash isn't getting your car as clean as you think since it also contains moisturizing ingredients so as to shield and not dry out human skin that's exposed to it while doing dishes...and now it's on your paint...keep that in mind next time you reach for the blue bottle.

Like Dylan said:  APC and Shampoo is your best bet!

what about using a real cheap dishwashing liquid as opposed to using Dawn. If your going to strip it down to get all the wax off, would cheaper dishwashing liquid be better since it harsher than Dawn?

It's the ingredients in dish soap that make up the things that could potentially damage your trim.  Perfumes, oils, conditioners for your skin...

While yes, dish soap is a de-greaser, the other contents inside of it are what are the bad things.  

Like Dylan said, and most of us here do, we use APC into the Car Shampoo bucket, and dilute it accordingly.

1 oz of APC per gallon of water. So usually 3...

Like Mook says, if the LSP is quality and in tact, strip washing alone won't touch it. And that's a good thing...

Claying or an IPA wipe down will finish it off.

In a foam gun it's 32 oz of water, 3 oz APC and 3 oz soap.

Edited by camaro2ssblack