Customer Service 866.965.0400

I read something about the death grip that a particular company has on the clay industry In the u.s., and then heard Dylan mention the grip might be over after this month... Was wondering what the status on that was?

There are multiple patents that cover the product, so don't get your hopes up.  And also, as a user of imported clays, I can honestly say this:  they're all pretty much the same anyway.  The true benefit of the patent expiration from a consumers point of view would be cheaper clay.  If you're looking for night and day performance from new clay as opposed to evil empire clay, you're going to be somewhat disappointed.

Edited by Baron_Von_Awesome

In the end it all does the same thing!!!!!!

Yes, but you could say the same thing for OTC detailing products compared to Adams.   I find the clay I buy in the UK to make the job of cleaning and correcting easier.  It isn't as harsh as what I'm able to get here in the country.  My clear on the G8 is so soft that anything that imparts less damage is a welcome relief. 

If all goes according to plan we will be able to start offering our own clay beginning the 28th. 

The versions we've worked on are a little stickier, softer than our current stuff which I find easier to work with. As far as the actual function, its going to work about the same. When you get into varying types of clays it becomes mostly about the feel and how easy it is to work with. 

If all goes according to plan we will be able to start offering our own clay beginning the 28th. 

The versions we've worked on are a little stickier, softer than our current stuff which I find easier to work with. As far as the actual function, its going to work about the same. When you get into varying types of clays it becomes mostly about the feel and how easy it is to work with. 

need beta testers? :)

Should we expect the same price for the clay or will it be cheaper now?

There are multiple patents that cover the product, so don't get your hopes up.  And also, as a user of imported clays, I can honestly say this:  they're all pretty much the same anyway.  The true benefit of the patent expiration from a consumers point of view would be cheaper clay.  If you're looking for night and day performance from new clay as opposed to evil empire clay, you're going to be somewhat disappointed.

Have you read the other patents? They should be invalidated based on the previous patent that is about to expire. They all show basically the same thing. BUT I'm no patent lawyer.

ITW has been stretching this patent out for well beyond the time anyone thought they could, so until we have OFFICIAL word that its dead I wouldn't be surprised by anything. 

They love to use that patent to the fullest extent too! Their website even kind of gloats about the patent cases won.

I just got my Adams clay a few days ago and used it on my detail over the weekend (have used both of the brands starting with M previously - hint - yellow and white)  and I did like the Adams a bit more than the white M one.  The white one seemed to be a bit stiffer and the Adams gray was softer.  I know they probably come out of the same factory.  Both Adams and the white M left no marring that I could see and both are great.

Will Adams discontinue the current version if the new stuff gets released?

• 4 weeks later...

Patents are difficult to work with and work around.  I would give Adam and the crew a little time to sort things out.  They are not the only company chewing at the bit for options on clay. 

Patent rules have changed recently and they are now first to file.  Also, patents are not disclosed until about 18months after filing.  So, there could be patents filed, covering clay, and the public is unaware.  You can also have preliminary patents as well.

I authored a couple patents about a year ago and they are still not filed publicly. 

Companies will have clay out as soon as they can!!

• 4 weeks later...