Customer Service 866.965.0400

4 Grit Guards in 2BM Wash?

EPHIOS

Question

22 answers to this question

There's no point being that obsessive because the process is still flawed if you're using the same wash media after each panel.  Two Grit Guards or four doesn't matter.  You can cut it down to no Grit Guard and one bucket if you play your cards right.

Edited by Baron_Von_Awesome

I honestly think that It's added insurance in the RINSE bucket, but for the WASH bucket....I am not quite sure.

As, I read, each Grit Guard will is elevated from the bottom, with about 1 gallon of water, so if two are used in the wash bucket, then there will be 2 gallon of unusable wash solution already. I usually use about 4 gallons of washing solution. It would not much in a RINSE bucket.

The last comment in the thread from the link you posted had some tips I've never heard before.

I have enough extra wash pads though from all the specials and mystery boxes that I might try the suggestion of another guy in the comment section about using a new side of a wash mitt for every panel removing the need for a rinse bucket.

Theres no right or wrong really in this discussion... the best thing to do would be to test it out for yourself and see what you think. I catch flack from some 'professional' detailers for using a 3rd bucket and grit guard (see below) but its a process that works for me.

Personally I found that my 'soap' bucket was still getting some grit in it towards the end of the wash, even with using 2-3 wash pads and solid process. I actually started doing this when I owned my black on black on black avalanche. It proved more effective at preventing swirls. 

So the moral of the story is, don't worry too much about what others are saying - if it makes sense to you try it, test it, evaluate it, and see if it makes any difference. 

Edited by Dylan@Adams

A new wash pad for each panel makes the most sense.  I just don't think I am OCD enough to do that. it would eliminate the need for 4 grit guards, but it might require 10-12 wash pads.  

Edited by Feets31

Do you have a foam gun?

This is sort of like Dylan's method up above, but tweaked.

Using 2 rinse buckets with grit guards; however many guards you want, but instead of a third soap bucket, you use the foam gun as lubrication.

1. Rinse car off

2. Spray whole car with foam gun

3. Using foam gun still: Spray (whatever section on the car, preferably roof first)

4. Wash with pad/mitt

5. Rinse out/inspect pad/mitt

6. Repeat steps 3-6

I have the gun in one hand and the mitt/pad in the other the whole time. Neighbors think I'm weird...oh well.

If that makes sense.

Edited by BKazzle

Yup.  I ALWAYS rinse the wash mit, after each dirty section, with pressure from the firehoze nozzle, BEFORE I put it into the rinse bucket.  Similar to Dylan's desire for a 3rd bucket.  I just wanted to add another layer of "grit removal" from the wash pad, before it goes into the rinse bucket.  Definitely some personal preference to what works for YOU.

I foam the vehicle over and over on top of the two bucket wash. and before the two bucket,I use a foam cannon product that emulsifies bugs, grime, tar, film, etc.  I will not speak of it here, but it works well as a pre-wash.  Let it soak for 5 mins, grime rinses away, then foam with Adams Car Shampoo, perform 2 bucket wash as normal.  I foam the vehicle multiple times as I wash it to ensure each panel is covered with foam, as well as to minimize water/soap drying on the panel in this dry NM air.  Another unique take on the wash process!

Have anyone tried using 4 Grit Guards in a Two-bucket wash? Two Grit Guards stacked in each bucket.

I heard good things about it, but also being unnecessary as well.

You know you're a detailer when you use 4 grit guards in a 2 bucket wash!

Edited by Joseph@AdamsAustralia

Yup.  I ALWAYS rinse the wash mit, after each dirty section, with pressure from the firehoze nozzle, BEFORE I put it into the rinse bucket.  Similar to Dylan's desire for a 3rd bucket.  I just wanted to add another layer of "grit removal" from the wash pad, before it goes into the rinse bucket.  Definitely some personal preference to what works for YOU.

This is my method as well. I also use two wash mits. One for top of vehicle, one for bottom. I think black cars can make anyone OCD in a hurry. I would rather do more steps in the wash and avoid the polishing as much as possible. Luckily, the black one is hers! Mine is still close with what Dodge calls Patriot blue.

This is no different from polishing. There is no one right way of doing it. It is what works best for you to achieve results you are looking for.

Grit guards cut down on tornado action inside the bucket, keeps dirt trapped.

3 grit guards was the maximum to stop swirling water, almost at 100%. Each grit guard added cut down tornado up to 3, then you can see water hardly swirls up dirt from bottom of bucket.

There is YouTube showing this with clear buckets. Personally I use 1 grit guard per bucket.