Customer Service 866.965.0400

Which ones - Microfiber or foam pads?

rimz808

Question

My apologies if this has already been discussed/posted, but i have some specific questions that i would like to know the answers to.

Debating which pads to get for my PC polisher. I've been using waxing pads from another brand and only just recently, after watching some videos, did i realize that i haven't been using the correct polishing pads for the 2 step Adam's polish. Therefore, I want to get the correct pads. Now with 2 different types, I want to get the right ones for my needs.

1. Which pads are more versatile for any types of paint since I have started a small detailing side job for my friends and thus i will be getting different types of cars/trucks?

2. Pads that work best with black cars and mainly to take away water spots.

3. Pads that are easy to clean, store, and will last the longest over time

Again, i am using a PC polisher so pads that work best for that type of machine.

I appreciate any advise and feedback.

Mahalo,

Ryan

17 answers to this question

It can vary from car to car.  I would suggest 2 MF cutting pads, 2 Orange foam cutting pads, 2 White foam polishing pads.  Even with a PC you can do some serious correction with a MF pad.  You can finish either cutting pad with the foam polishing pads.  

Why 2 different cutting pads?  the least aggressive method first approach - no need to use a MF pad if a foam pad will to    

Why 2 of each pad?  It usually takes more than 1 pad to complete an entire car, and they take a day or so to dry when cleaned.  Plus they can get dirty when touching trim, etc., or, heaven forbid, they fall on the ground!   

That would be ideal, but looking for one or the other. Key factor is durability and which will last the longest, but that might not be yet known since microfiber pads are still fairly new to the market?

I have not used the MF pads from Adam's, but I have 2 different MF pads from different manufacturers.

After a few corrections, the heat generated tends to delaminate the MF material from the pad backing, maybe Adam fixed it on their version, and it should prob hold up fine with a PC (I really crank down on them to cut), but with a Flex or forced rotation machine like a Rupes I could see them having a significantly shorter life than a comparable foam pad.  I have 4 MF pads, the 2 of the one brand have been used on 2 corrections and are ready to be tossed, the other brand probably has about 2-3 more corrections left in it as the backing seems more secure.

The foam pads are great, hardly ever get wrecked on a detail, as long as you clean them frequently and clean them out well you'll have them for years.

The MF pads you also want to make sure to clean after after section or so to keep the fibers fluffy and get spent residues out, using the Pad Brush or compressed air works great.

I must say that I love the new MF pads........however the foam pads have there place too.

I agree with Chris.  I LOVE microfiber's cutting ability.  

Yes I have seen the backing come off MF pads before as well.  Adam's ones are built well and work VERY well.  

Even with a Cyclo, the effectiveness of MF is great.  I still use both the microfiber and the foam orange pads.  I test the foam first to see if I can get away with less, then move to the microfiber if needed.  The specific paint on my particular BMW required only microfiber as the clear coat was very hard to cut.  Others will be different.  Always test on a small area if you decide to go MF, that way if it cuts too much for you (if possible) with a PC or Cyclo, then the effects will be seen less and you can move on to a different strategy.

So from what i am seeing, microfiber seems to "cut" more than pads. Does this mean that results will be seen quicker and with less time than foam pads? 

My main use is to get rid of water spots, especially on black cars. Will microfiber be the ideal choice? I understand that having both foam and micropads would be ideal, but not financially. If one had to choose, which one would one get?

Chris is perfectly right, the MF pads do tend to cut more, but on softer paints you will need to spend more time with finishing polish and pads to get rid of the microswirls created by the cutting action.

I'm like mtnbiker above on my BMW X5, the MF pads don't cause much trouble and cut awesomely, because BMW paint is notoriously tough.  My wife's 2011 Rav4 though?  I just stick with the foam pads, it takes a bit longer and maybe a few passes more, but her Toyota paint is so soft that if you look at it the wrong way it will swirl.

Come to think of it, i will just get one foam pad and one microfiber pad. I don't know why i did not think about that earlier. The 2 pads they sell as a set are basically the same, just different colors. With this in mind, do you guys usually use the microfiber with the correcting polish and foam for the finishing polish?

With this in mind, do you guys usually use the microfiber with the correcting polish and foam for the finishing polish?

I do.  I have the 'finishing' MF pads from Adam's and other vendors, but always reach for the foam pad.  Probably just habit, but also don't have to clean the foam pad after each section.   

Great input here, and indeed, correction and perfection requires a different set of tools from vehicle to vehicle, and from various conditions. 

It's not a matter of which pads, but which pads a particular finish needs to get perfect.  If all finishes were the same, we would have a way easier time with products!

Get both, as it's not much $$, and you will find a purpose for all.

Buy one set now and the other set later if money is an issue.  Both will work one just might work a little better on your car and I am not sure anyone can tell you for certain which one unless they have corrected a vehicle just like yours.  

But if you can swing it get both.  You might like the cutting action of the microfiber and the finishing of the foam.  You won't know until you try them. 

Great input here, and indeed, correction and perfection requires a different set of tools from vehicle to vehicle, and from various conditions. 

It's not a matter of which pads, but which pads a particular finish needs to get perfect.  If all finishes were the same, we would have a way easier time with products!

Get both, as it's not much $$, and you will find a purpose for all.

I agree.  Get both.  If you need more correction than what foam offers then switch to an MF pad.