Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detail Spray...how much?

Josh

Question

I was just curious as to how much detail spray everyone here uses on their car when they are washing it?  I use at least a half a bottle (16 oz).  I feel like I am using way to much and wasting it since it is so expensive.  Should I be using less or is this about the right amount?  I am doing a Camaro if that helps.

21 answers to this question

I use maybe 1/4 of a bottle on my truck. If I had a car probably less. 

There isn't any need to saturate the paint in DS. A fine mist would be just fine. It just helps ease the surface tension and make it a little more slick. Some people swear by WW instead of DS when drying but I always have used DS.

Maybe take a picture of a panel next time you wash and we could gauge if its too much or not. Remember less is more.

I use maybe 1/4 of a bottle on my truck. If I had a car probably less. 

There isn't any need to saturate the paint in DS. A fine mist would be just fine. It just helps ease the surface tension and make it a little more slick. Some people swear by WW instead of DS when drying but I always have used DS.

Maybe take a picture of a panel next time you wash and we could gauge if its too much or not. Remember less is more.

Ok thanks for your reply.  I will try to use less next time as I think I am using way to much.  I will remember less is more.  Thanks again!

If you use 1 oz. each time you dry that is borderline too much, let alone half a bottle LMAO!

And guys, for the 100th time, especially V2 Detail Spray with gloss enhancement, it really doesn't need to be used as clay lubricant.  Waterless Wash (or Rinseless diluted 1:16) is slicker and a ton cheaper!

My V2 Detail Spray is only used for drying aid (and sometimes I still use Rinseless 1:16 if my car was extra dirty prior), as well as maybe a quick wipedown after a day out on my Triumph, or, as a final wipedown after doing a proper Rinseless Wash.

At $45 a gallon don't be laying down half a bottle when drying lol!

You might be using a little too much for drying purposes, but this will vary a lot depending on various factors: the hardness of your water, do you do a pooling rinse, the type of towel you use, the temperature of the paint and the condition of the paint (does it need to be clayed).

In descending order of impact for me:

The warmer the paint, the more detail spray I use.

The harder the water (if drying with detail spray), the more detail spray I use.

If the paint needs to be clayed, the rinse water won't roll off and I will use more detail spray.

If I don't do a pooling rinse I will tend to use more detail spray.

If I am in a smelling mood, I will use A LOT more detail spray :)

If I use detail spray when drying, I will use more detail spray. If I use detail spray AFTER I dry, then I will use less.

If I am using a great white towel or a waterless wash towel, I will use more detail spray. If I am using a plush towel, after drying, very little detail spray is used.

Just some notes from my experience.

Oh - and if I am in a need of some quiet time, therapy time, I will use more detail spray. But a half a bottle of detail spray is MUCH cheaper than paying a therapist. :)

Edited by DaveVY

Yes you sure can.  Old style Waterless won't leave it as glossy after drying as compared to Detail Spray, but it works just as good.

Now the "new waterless" which is Rinseless mixed 1:16 with distilled water, that works AWESOME for drying, in my opinion just as good as Detail Spray since it is slicker so there is less chance of marring.

Yes you sure can.  Old style Waterless won't leave it as glossy after drying as compared to Detail Spray, but it works just as good.

Now the "new waterless" which is Rinseless mixed 1:16 with distilled water, that works AWESOME for drying, in my opinion just as good as Detail Spray since it is slicker so there is less chance of marring.

So you telling me I can buy one gallon of Rinseless and mix the whole gallon with 16 gallons of distilled water and then I will have 17 gallons of waterless wash?  I'm just not sure about the ratio thing and if this is right or not?  Thanks.

Yes basically, although I don't know why you'd mix so much at a time.

I take 8 oz. of a 16 oz. bottle of Rinseless, and 1 gal of distilled water, and dump it into my empty Waterless gallon, and boom I have a refilled Waterless Wash gallon :)

As you can see it's a much more cost effective way to mix up Detail Spray/Waterless Wash, the Rinseless when made into Waterless is actually a touch glossier than original Waterless, I think it does deposit some polymer protection on the surface as it cleans.

Edited by Ricky Bobby

The amount of detail spray used in claying, just like in its use as a drying aid, can be dramatically impacted by the condition of the paint and the temperature of the paint. The rougher or warmer the paint, the more detail spray you will use as a lubricant. Here in sunny warm Florida going through 1/2 to a full bottle isn't out of the norm on an good sided vehicle. If it is a small car and in the cooler winter months in the garage then I might get by with as little as 1/4 to 1/3 of a bottle.

The variables can/will have a dramatic difference in amount of product used.

Edited by DaveVY

I was just curious as to how much detail spray everyone here uses on their car when they are washing it?  I use at least a half a bottle (16 oz).  I feel like I am using way to much and wasting it since it is so expensive.  Should I be using less or is this about the right amount?  I am doing a Camaro if that helps.

Leave those 16oz bottles alone and go with at least a gallon.  I use it on my '13 Sequoia and I think I may use less than that.  I only use it after washing and blow drying the vehicle for that "just detailed look."  I will use enough to wet the panel so there's no dry spot and risk of scratching paint.  I never, ever use it for claying or anything else - too expensive for those duties.  Also, I've tried other detail spray and I must say that I keep coming back to Adams Detail Spray as it leaves the car shiny and slick and it does not streak like the other's I've tried.  I know it's expensive, but I like it so much that I just ordered the 5 gallon jug today (15% discount and $5 shipping).  I like it that much.  I now use the infinite use detail juice just for claying and other duties and Adams for after wash duties.  

The only thing I wish is that Adams came out with a concentrate for detail spray.

Edited by Methodical

You might be using a little too much for drying purposes, but this will vary a lot depending on various factors: the hardness of your water, do you do a pooling rinse, the type of towel you use, the temperature of the paint and the condition of the paint (does it need to be clayed).

In descending order of impact for me:

The warmer the paint, the more detail spray I use.

The harder the water (if drying with detail spray), the more detail spray I use.

If the paint needs to be clayed, the rinse water won't roll off and I will use more detail spray.

If I don't do a pooling rinse I will tend to use more detail spray.

If I am in a smelling mood, I will use A LOT more detail spray :)

If I use detail spray when drying, I will use more detail spray. If I use detail spray AFTER I dry, then I will use less.

If I am using a great white towel or a waterless wash towel, I will use more detail spray. If I am using a plush towel, after drying, very little detail spray is used.

Just some notes from my experience.

Oh - and if I am in a need of some quiet time, therapy time, I will use more detail spray. But a half a bottle of detail spray is MUCH cheaper than paying a therapist. :)

Right on Dave!  As for a concentrate, the base requires Reverse Osmosis Water, which hardly anyone has!  We are thinking the same way, however.......

I use RW diluted in a spray bottle for my drying agent!  It doesn't have quite the shiny pop that DS has, but I like the added protection against contaminate scratches.  After that, I will go back over with DS for the POP! ;)  Just my prefered way of doing it. 

Chris