Customer Service 866.965.0400

Polishers

gdwenger

Question

11 answers to this question

Not really!  One or the other.  If I had to buy one of the two today, I'd buy the Cyclo.  You don't have to swap pads over for the smaller areas, and it runs smoother which means your hands don't go quite as numb. lol 

It depends.  Adding the Cyclo to PC ownership would be an upgrade allowing you to get done faster.  Adding the PC to the Cyclo probably doesn't add not much benefit.

Edited by Tim

I was thinking along the lines of a smaller contact area. A single 4" brush versus the two brushes. Examples where I though it maybe beneficial were tire scrubbing, windows, carpet cleaning on smaller interiors, and some smaller contact areas around the bumpers, plus our outside mirrors.

I have 3 polishers. Rupes 21, Cyclo and PC. I use all of them.

Rupes for large, flat panels and major correction.

Cyclo for smaller areas that the Rupes isn't productive in due to the large throw. Mostly front fenders, bumpers and around windows, etc.

The only time I pull out the PC is for extremely tight areas after the 4" pads on a drill. For example, this past weekend I polished the mirrors on my SS. Hit them with the 4" pad on the drill ,since the PC takes too long to correct heavy/moderate swirling, and noticed there were still micro swirls due to the forced rotation, so I brought out the PC with the 4" pad and removed the micro swirls. I NEVER use the PC with the 6.5" pad.

It's nice to have multiple polishers to adapt to certain situations. Some vehicles have a lot of intricate curves and right areas while others have large, flat panels. Is it necessary to have more than 1 polisher if it's just a hobby? No. But having the right tools speeds up the process.

So, short answer, yes, there is a benefit, at least in my mind.

I had a PC, then got a flex about a year ago. The flex is so much better that the PC has been turned into a a sander and is now used exclusively for woodworking projects. That said, I had my hands on a cyclo this weekend at grabiaks and I really liked it -- it's a quality piece you won't regret owning. I just don't have a need for one now -- all I do is an annual maintenance polishing on our two cars. So long story short, go for the cyclo --- it will make your detailing life so much easier, and it probably outlive all of us. Lol

I had a PC and recently went with the cyclo. Definitely easier for tighter areas and way less stress on the hands if you are doing a long job.

I'm assuming that your PC is equipped with something other than a 4" pad then or your going to have to clarify how a single 4" pad is not easier for tighter areas than dual 4" pads. The reason I'm considering the PC in addition to the Cyclo is that the PC with a 4" pad is it's overall smaller in size thus should be able to handle these tighter areas better than the Cyclo.

Edited by gdwenger

My PC 7424 (O.G. edition lol) is now equipped exclusively with 3" backing plate and uses 4" pads as a dedicated machine, including the 4" black pads for applying thin wax coatings, I like using the smaller machine for applying thin coats of wax as its easier to apply everywhere as opposed to waxing/sealing with bigger machine/pads.  My FIL has a GG6 3rd generation which I use the 6.5" pads on and it works well for my needs, I really would like a Rupes 21 for my own but just for my weekend warrior corrections its a bit of overkill, I can't justify the $400.

If anything I'd be getting a used Flex for myself, since my FIL has the GG6 already in the family and the Flex would be the nice level of correction power.

I have a rotary with 11" pads for the really screwed up cars that people bring me. I just started to learn the Cyclo in the past week or so.. The concencus seems to go with the Cyclo. It does a great job for getting rid off swirls and light scratches.