Customer Service 866.965.0400

Waxing to ruin plastics?? Boogus?

HFX Detailing

Question

Hey guys,

My father had a new bumper since someone destroyed his old one. They got new plastic and painted it. He had asked them how long to wait before washing/waxing/sealing the new bumper. The person advised him to never wax it because it can cause the plastic to deform and start going wavy.

I have never heard of this and cannot find any details about it. 

Has anyone got any insight on this? I recently detailed his car and left the bumper untouched because he was worried about it.

Cheers

12 answers to this question

Dudes an idiot. Wait 30-60 days depending on how much it sits in the sun (the more sun the shorter time).

If it's a true repair job it will be a painted replacement bumper and not some jimmy-rigged piece of garbage. You can wax it, you can seal it. It will not deform if it is a true repair job. If it does deform, then it's time to go to a different body shop (but judging on what he told you already I'd still consider a different shop).

Edited by Kingsford

Danger is my middle name. I once clay-barred an entire hood without stopping and folding over the clay.

I once clay-barred an entire vehicle using just a bucket of soapy water, not a single spray lubricant

And the clay did not fall apart :)

Thank you Adam's Car Shampoo :)