Customer Service 866.965.0400

Deep Wheel Cleaner

GlossAngeles

Question

I know Deep Wheel Cleaner has been out for a while now and many people have reviewed it, but I have not seen a set of very dirty wheels that needed to be cleaned with extra precaution to test the strength and the level of safety of this cleaner. So I did not wash my car for over a month :help: to get this review.

Price:

$17.95 for the 16oz, which is then approximately $1.21/oz

$79.95 for the gallon size, which is approximately $0.62/oz

These prices are competitive with the other wheel cleaners in this space and overall are not bad prices for what the product like this can do. It is not meant to be diluted either.

Review:

I have used this cleaner on many different types of wheels and finishes and have never had any issues. It has also been able to clean significantly better than the Chemical Guys Diablo, which was expected since they are a different type of product. With that said, this is not a spray on, pressure was off type product, which it shouldn’t be, because any cleaner that will do that effectively on actually dirty wheels is going to have a high acid content and not be pH neutral, and thus not necessarily safe on all finishes.

As you can see here these BBS wheels are very dirty. They also have a ton of small areas that are difficult to get to, as well as very soft polished aluminum pieces.

IMG_1296-e1400174248901.jpgIMG_1300-e1400174288980.jpg

Tons of brake dust as you can see by the intense purple/red color.

2014-04-22-22.38.03_1-e1400174318962.jpg

And here is the after

IMAG0053-e1400174366262.jpg

This was with no re-application, only agitation with various brushes and then rinsed off.

Pros:

-Cleans very well

-Doesn’t damage finish

-Works with kwazar and pump sprayers

Cons:

-Smell (necessary since it is the chemical that causes the color change, but not bad)

-Seems to strip protection

Bottom Line:

To me, this is not going to be your go-to wheel cleaner. It is very strong yes, but that is not always necessary unless the wheels are heavily soiled. Since it seems to strip protection I would first try just a solution of shampoo and water and see if that gets the job done. Always start with the least aggressive method first. It is an amazing product and does exactly what it claims to do, but it has its place in your arsenal as the heavy hitter.

18 answers to this question

No, these are even worse. :willy: Hawk pads. They dust like crazy. Next time I am definitely going ceramic!

Hawk ceramic here. I barely even have to use GWC anymore. Shampoo and water in a bottle with a foaming sprayer 90% of the time.

Nice write up.  The wheels came out great.

No, these are even worse. :willy: Hawk pads. They dust like crazy. Next time I am definitely going ceramic!

I know exactly how you feel.  I have hawk pads as well and I agree they dust like crazy.  I will be going ceramics as well. 

Great write up Ian. And I agree that deep wheel cleaner should not be a go to product in every case. I think it's overkill on wheels that are routinely cared for. This is where green wheel cleaner or even car shampoo is enough. However I did hear from a very reliable source that green wheel cleaner won't be around forever and was encouraged to pick some extra up while I still was able.

Deep wheel cleaner is literally how it sounds.  Good for a deep clean every few months or so, I probably use it 3 times a year on my cars.  Then I hit them with a coat of sealant afterwards, as yes, you will need to re-seal the wheels afterwards.

The sealant I use on my wheels gives me about 3-4 months of protection, and by the time its done I'm about ready to give a deep cleaning and a fresh coat on them.  For all the in between maintenance washes of the wheels, all I use is the lug brush, wheel woolies, and boars hair brush with Car Shampoo and water on them, no other spray cleaners.

DWC is also a great paint decon spray if you do it in the shade, spray on, let dwell about 2 mins, agitate with a sponge or mitt and rinse.  Will cut your claying time in half if you use it prior to claying as it will get the heavy stuff out

Hawk Ceramics are like wood!  I had Hawk HPS pads on my G8 GT and loved them.  SO much better than the ceramics I have on my GXP.  

Great results and an honest review.  Well done! 

Oh, and I too only use car shampoo on my wheels.  

Nicely done.  I used the DWC on my dad's newly purchased, used 2000 Corvette, and it worked wonders.  I use the GWC for my regularly-washed cars and sometimes even just the shampoo (my wife's mini-cooper seems happy with that).  Perfect assessment that Deep Wheel Cleaner is not the routine "go to" product.  It fits an excellent niche.

As a minor quibble, I'm not sure I would list it as a "CON" that it strips protection.  I think that is what it *should* do, much like putting APC in your bucket wash to prep for a full correction.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to write this up.

Deep wheel cleaner is literally how it sounds.  Good for a deep clean every few months or so, I probably use it 3 times a year on my cars.  Then I hit them with a coat of sealant afterwards, as yes, you will need to re-seal the wheels afterwards.

The sealant I use on my wheels gives me about 3-4 months of protection, and by the time its done I'm about ready to give a deep cleaning and a fresh coat on them.  For all the in between maintenance washes of the wheels, all I use is the lug brush, wheel woolies, and boars hair brush with Car Shampoo and water on them, no other spray cleaners.

DWC is also a great paint decon spray if you do it in the shade, spray on, let dwell about 2 mins, agitate with a sponge or mitt and rinse.  Will cut your claying time in half if you use it prior to claying as it will get the heavy stuff out

Quick question.  Are you hitting it w/quick sealant?  Wanted to ask since I can't get it up to Alaska because of has-mat shipping issues.  Just been using super vrt after every wash on my matte wheels does wonders for brake dust issue, lol.

I know people mentioned to just use car shampoo and water.  Is it advised to just make a bottle of it mixed in for these cases?  Was thinking of going this route instead of loading up on green wheel cleaner possible.  

Quick question.  Are you hitting it w/quick sealant?  Wanted to ask since I can't get it up to Alaska because of has-mat shipping issues.  Just been using super vrt after every wash on my matte wheels does wonders for brake dust issue, lol.

I know people mentioned to just use car shampoo and water.  Is it advised to just make a bottle of it mixed in for these cases?  Was thinking of going this route instead of loading up on green wheel cleaner possible.

A few ounces of car shampoo in a spray bottle is all you need. A sealed wheel that is cleaned regularly won't need much more.

To answer your 2 questions - Yes after using DWC my wheels (which are silver painted clearcoated) get a coat of a Quick Sealant equivalent product I use from another brand (which is why I recommend QS)

2nd Question - I advise the 3 bucket method for washing - Wash, Rinse, and WHEELS/TIRES/FENDERS - the 3rd bucket for wheels/tires should be a different color and never used for cleaning anything but the wheels/tires, this is a tip I picked up from Larry Kosilla @ Ammo NYC, do not intermingle tools for wheels/tires with anything that touches the paint, and this includes buckets.  I do not mix car shampoo and water in a spray bottle although some like to do so, I just put some Car Shampoo in my wheel/tire bucket with my woolies and brushes and go to town on the wheels.

If you use Adam's buckets, you could always get a different color Grit Guard insert to differentiate your bucket duties, or write on them in Sharpie.