Customer Service 866.965.0400

Claybar on my windshield!!!

ACRCAR

Question

So I spent all day today cleaning and detailing my Viper.  When it came time to clay the car I watched the Adam's video to make sure I do it as recommended.  So when first starting out, I flattened out the clay bar on the windshield as instructed and when doing so, it left a super sticky film even though I had a significant amount of detail spray on there.  Car came out great and the clay bar removed a tone of contamination from the paint, but I can't get the sticky spot off of my windshield! 

Any recommendations on how I can get that sticky clay spot off my windshield?  I am eager to clean and seal the glass with Adam's glass sealer.  I did the other windows and they came out fantastic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

22 answers to this question

You should be claying your glass just as often as you clay your paint.  Glass picks up just as many contaminants as paint, and yes that spot is just clay residue, spray the surface and clay it and it will come up.  I sometimes get clay spots because sometimes I want to put the piece of clay down (but not on the paint) and same thing happens to me.

Yep, sounds like it just left behind a bit of clay.

Next time around, be sure to spray some DS onto the glass before you flatten the clay so it won't stick.

I guess I should elaborate...I did clay my windshield and I did spray a liberal amount of detail spray on the windshield both when I flattened the clay and while claying, but the clay was so tacky that it left a pretty big spot on the wind shield after I flattened it initially.

I tried to use additional detail spray and clay it again with no luck.  I used the glass cleaner as lubricant, and again, no luck.  Any other ideas to get this clay residue off my windshield?

Thanks for the replies.

Edited by ACRCAR

Fingernail or a plastic razor blade would be my next choices.

Consider using a little GC for lube if you do the razor blade, can never be too safe when you have to use a blade on a vehicle. 

APC and a utility towel. If the residue is gone but you can still see an outline of the clay, then put a drop of polish on the towel, rub it in and wipe it off.

And if for whatever crazy reason all of that doesn't work, then 3M Adhesive Cleaner.

Fingernail or a plastic razor blade would be my next choices.

Fingernail...that's pretty funny. I think I'll try the plastic razor blade with glass cleaner for lube and see how that goes.

I used a plastic razor and glass cleaner to lubricate while removing.  Seems to have done the trick.  Been raining outside, so I have yet to pull it out of the garage (lighting is not great in there) to see if it is completely gone.

From now on, the initial flattening of the clay will be done on a plastic bag and not the windshield.  What a pain in the a$$!

You can just do it in your hands as well, which is what I usually do.  It doesn't need to start perfectly flat, that will happen quickly on the surface once you start moving the bar around.

Very good point.  Very exciting to see a product work so well though.  It really pulled up a lot of contamination.  Car feels smooth as glass.