Customer Service 866.965.0400

Engine bay detail

BamaDetail

Question

16 answers to this question

You'll need a decent amount of APC if the engine bay hasn't been done in a while.  Sometimes I'll have to break out the Meg's D108 if the grime is really bad as well.

Soak the hell out of the engine bay at full strength and in the shade.  Make sure to have a ton of brushes handy to get into cracks and crevices and spray it down and use brushes to agitate any grime.  If you have access to warm water on your hose, its also very helpful, as the warm water will wash away the grime easier than cold water.

Make sure you cover up your ignition coils and the exposed air filter if you have one.

I use my RedMax backpack blower to blow out the extra water when done doing the rinse, then wipe down any extra water with a few cheapo MF towels.  When dry, I dress the plastics with Super VRT and In & Out Spray.

Don't use a pressure washer on the engine bay obviously.

With newer cars I use Rinseless wash, mixed at the wash dilution, in a 1/2 gallon pump-up sprayer and lots of terry cloth towels.  Soak everything down and soak down one of the towels.  Wipe down with the damp towel, and go over it with a dry towel.  Some take 2 towels, some take many more.  Dress the plastics with some SVRT milk.

This is what I do:

1) I spray All Purpose Cleaner liberally all over the bay and let it sit for few minutes.

2) Agitate by brushing the bay with a fender or wheel brush then let it sit for few more minutes

3) spray All Purpose Cleaner again in all the nooks and crannies and use smaller brushers to agitate these areas

4) I use a steamer to remove any tough grime or stubborn dirt and stains

5) Rinse

6) Apply SVRT & In & Out Spray

Another tip for you is start at the bottom of the bay and work your way to the top. The grimiest stuff is usually towards the bottom/ frame rails. You won't have stuff dripping down on you from washing the underside of the hood first that way either.

I like to use a steam cleaner in spots that aren't easily accessible or have really tough grime.

Lots of different brushes. Wheel woolies, etc etc.

Personally I don't like In and Out Spray. So I dilute VRT and spray it for a dressing.

With newer cars I use Rinseless wash, mixed at the wash dilution, in a 1/2 gallon pump-up sprayer and lots of terry cloth towels.  Soak everything down and soak down one of the towels.  Wipe down with the damp towel, and go over it with a dry towel.  Some take 2 towels, some take many more.  Dress the plastics with some SVRT milk.

Love this idea. My engine bay never really gets dirty and this is an awesome solution.

Engine and headliners are the two things I have always been afraid of cleaning. I do wipe downs in the engine bay often but would love to hit it with APC and a light hose mist. Just air intake and Alternator is all I need to really worry about ?

No pressure washer in the engine bay.

But no harm in spraying down with apc and a regular hose, just be sure it's dry before driving, and as long as you aren't submerging any ignition coils, alternator or exposed air filter, no worries with water intrusion in the bay.