Customer Service 866.965.0400

Removing snow from cars

ccommodari

Question

Hello fellow shine freaks. I'm a 15 year old detailer typing to you from Maryland where we are get 4 inches of snow today. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to remove snow safely without having to use a brush or broom as I have to remove the snow from my moms gmc Yukon xl and step dad's Hyundai santa fe . if anyone has any suggestions please don't hesitate to comment!

15 answers to this question

1Z makes a few good products for winter which I use, although I'm not going to direct link them.  One is a spray de-icer, and the other is an Anti-Frost windshield washer fluid, and both don't have any toxic methanol.

I don't use a snow broom or brush for obvious reasons, I usually just brush off the bulk with my hands and make sure to leave a bit of snow on the cars so that I'm not brushing the paint directly.

Keeping a good layer of protection down to prevent ice from sticking as much as possible is a good place to start. Sealant or coating for paint and sealant or coating for glass.

My daily driver is parked outside 24/7 here in CO so it is regularly burried in snow - I start by clearing the windows with a brush and scraper as needed. Once the windows are cleared I focus on knocking down the snow. If its something like 4 inches, I do my best to push off about the top 3" of it as thats the soft stuff thats easy to move by hand (with a glove on of course)

Once I'm down to that last 1" +/- of snow I've actually had excellent success using an air force master blaster to blow the rest off. The force of the air, plus the fact that its heated pushes everything off really easy and starts to thaw the exterior.

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/specials/sub-category-1/adam-s-master-blaster-revolution.html

I have a boars hair snow duster that is perfect for the snowfall we had here in Baltimore today. It's only good when it is a light fluffy snow and I only take off the top layer. Try not to touch the paint.

Keeping a good layer of protection down to prevent ice from sticking as much as possible is a good place to start. Sealant or coating for paint and sealant or coating for glass.

My daily driver is parked outside 24/7 here in CO so it is regularly burried in snow - I start by clearing the windows with a brush and scraper as needed. Once the windows are cleared I focus on knocking down the snow. If its something like 4 inches, I do my best to push off about the top 3" of it as thats the soft stuff thats easy to move by hand (with a glove on of course)

Once I'm down to that last 1" +/- of snow I've actually had excellent success using an air force master blaster to blow the rest off. The force of the air, plus the fact that its heated pushes everything off really easy and starts to thaw the exterior.

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/specials/sub-category-1/adam-s-master-blaster-revolution.html

Love the idea of the master blaster ! I will have to try this !

I'm also in Maryland, and experienced the same snowfall.  Personally, my solution is to leave the snow on my Challenger until it melts.  When the weather is like this, I drive my Jeep Wrangler.  It has enough "battle scars" from off-roading that no one will notice any minor scratches from removing the snow.  :D

I like too use a leaf blower because its easier to work with if the there's heavier snow on the driveway. With a heavy wet snow I take off as much as I can with my arm then just back up or drive forward and hit the brakes hard and most of the snow just slides off,lol. It took me years of begging my wife not to use a brush so I dare not let her see me using one.

Pennsylvania here. Same problem because in PA it's illegal to have snow on your car, even on your roof. So it has to be removed. Agreed about the best defense being having the paint protected beforehand.  But since that's not an option here, listen to Chris05GTO and don't touch the paint.  I wouldn't even try and get it off the  paint when it comes to that last inch. The heat from the motor will melt it off the hood.  Now if it's a light powdery snow and you have a blower, use that. Otherwise,  clean to an inch and quit. And if mom and dad don't like it...............send them here. We'll set them straight.  

Sounds like you're a good kid. Keep it up.   :2thumbs: