Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Car - Wash/Clay/Sealant?

ralphsmithiii

Question

Hey eveyone, before I posted I did a quick search for New Car and it returned no responses but I wanted to ask what I think is a general question.  I picked up a new car a few weeks ago from the dealer and it needs to be clayed and sealed.  From what I can tell it doesn't need to be corrected at all as its brand new (Pearl White) and I can't see any correction that needs to be done.

Instead of waxing it after washing and claying, I was thinking of applying Adams Paint Sealant (I have the machine super sealant from a while ago) and then maybe throwing a coat of wax on top.  The sealants I've used before seem to have more than enough gloss/shine for me and it's a brand new car.

Thoughts?  Do I need to prep the new paint before I seal it other than claying it?

9 answers to this question

My new car prep usually consists of at least a 1 step polish to get rid of any "dealer installed damage" from auto washing, poor prep, etc.

Being that your car is Pearl White you are in luck, pearl white is one of the hardest colors to see defects on.  I would start with a wash and clay, if you don't see any visible defects needing correcting then use the old sealant (I love sealants on white), and wax on top as needed.

Awesome, thanks for the response!

Question, I bought the new Paint Sealant although I do still have some older machine SS.  Is there a specific reason to use the machine SS vs the Paint sealant other than not wasting the old product?

I intend to apply either with my Flex.

Did the dealer apply any kind of sealant on the car?

Not that I can tell although they probably should of considering what I paid for it, hah!

I believe they did try and upsell me on paint protectant, interior protect, etc..but I happily declined.

Not that I can tell although they probably should of considering what I paid for it, hah!

I believe they did try and upsell me on paint protectant, interior protect, etc..but I happily declined.

In that case your plan sounds good. 

If you use the old sealant you'll need to let it cure for at least 12 hours before topping with wax.  The new sealant only needs to cure for an hour or so.  Both work great but the new sealant is a bit easier to remove.