Customer Service 866.965.0400

New To The Art... Wanting Advice

BradWallace

Question

I own:

2004 Tundra Double Cab (Black), Love it...

2007 Pathfinder (Black) Like it...

2012 Accord Coupe (Black) Very Cool Car...

At this point...

I have machine polished the Tundra, 1st time ever polishing.

I went to my local NAPA store, asked a trusted parts guy if He stocked a DA polisher.

He said they were, for the most part... junk.

That said, I departed with a $190 Dewalt buffing machine & Foam Pad & $30 bottle of Norton Liquid Ice.

I used the Dewalt @ 1000 RPM and did an impressive job. Then the only wax I had around was a $7 can of Meguier Cleaner wax.

Next up, I will do the Black Pathfinder, then the Black Accord Coupe...

I am considering perhaps using other products but have NO CLUE what to try.

I have researched special waxes for black paint, I am wondering if thats just "marketing"...

So, I ask: What polish and wax should I be using? 

Adams Patriot Wax looks tempting... For $100 bucks what difference will I notice?

Thanks In Advance.

Brad Wallace

Edwardsville, ILL.

12 answers to this question

Welcome Brad!  Great questions!

The DeWalt machine that you got, I'm assuming it is a rotary buffer if it's running at that speed? If so, you will want to be very careful with that if you are new to polishing, as the heat it can generate can go straight through the clear down to the base coat of paint. Not all DA machines are "junk" as he said. The Cyclo Polisher offered here is an excellent dual head oscillating polisher that gives outstanding results. The Flex also offered here is another great option with slightly more correcting power than the Cyclo, but not as much versatility and more vibration. I personally own and use both. The Cyclo is perfectly balanced and does not fatigue my fingers or forearms like other DA polishers. There are a few other less costly options out there that can give results almost as good as these too.

As for polish, Adam's offers a very simple and effective two stage polish system. Orange Paint Correcting Polish with orange microfiber or orange foam pads will serve as the swirl and scratch remover. Then the white Paint Finishing Polish with white microfiber or white foam pads serves as the final stage polish to make the finish perfect and remove any tiny micro marring that the orange Paint Correcting Polish may leave on some clear coats with certain machines/pads. On some vehicles, you may not even need to go to the second step with the white PFP, or alternatively, if the finish isn't badly damaged in the first place, the white PFP may be enough to make it perfect and not need to use the more powerful Paint Correcting Polish. I hope that all makes sense.

Special waxes for black paint are mainly gimmicky marketing. Polishing with the correct type of polish and pad is what is going to remove scratches, swirl marks, and oxidation, and help bring back the deep, dark, black color of the paint, since you are smoothing out imperfections in the clear coat to bring back the true color.  

The wax part of the equation will offer protection and more depth to the finish after it has been polished...polishing does not offer any type of protection to the paint. Synthetic sealants and waxes like Adam's Liquid Paint Sealant and Buttery Wax can also be used in place of your typical carnuba-based wax, like the Americana and Patriot Wax offered by Adam's. Patriot Wax is more for your 'show car' finish on something that is garaged and maybe not driven every day.  It still lasts a while, but it won't have the longevity of something like Americana or Liquid Paint Sealant. LPS is going to offer the longest and most durable amount of protection that Adam's offers right now. Some people are seeing upwards of 6 months of water beading with it depending on the conditions you drive in. For the $100 vs. $70 between Patriot and Americana, the main difference is that the Patriot Wax is the finest wax Adam's has ever offered.  It's a concourse level wax, that goes on and off incredibly easy, even more so than Americana. It smells amazing, and offers incredible color and depth to the paint finish in my personal opinion. There's also a flash sale going on right now where the Patriot is only $74.99 plus another 15% off of that with the "15YEARS" discount coupon, but there's only 11 left on this deal as I'm typing this!

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/specials/flash-sale.html

Myself and many others on here like to do a full paint correction with this general process: Wash the vehicle with a good ph-neutral car shampoo and two-bucket wash method with grit guards in the buckets (all also offered here) to help prevent swirls while washing. The vehicle will most likely need claying with a clay bar and detail spray as a lubricant for the clay if it has not been properly polished in a while.  I believe Adam says the rule of thumb is to clay the vehicle twice a year. This will pull the layer of wax off, along with all of the little imperfections like tar, rail dust, bug guts, bird droppings, etc out of the clear coat, to have a perfectly clean, smooth surface to begin the polishing process. Some people like to wipe the vehicle down with isopropyl alcohol after claying, but it's not 100% necessary.

Then you would begin the polishing process, starting in a small test area with the white Paint Finishing Polish. If it gives the desired results you are looking for, then you can continue doing the rest of the vehicle in 2'x2' sections. If it does not give the desired results, then you re-do the area with the stronger orange Paint Correcting Polish, and then again with the white PFP. Since all 3 of your vehicles are black, and it's very difficult to keep black vehicles swirl-free, you might find that you need to go straight to the orange PCP. After the paint is corrected, that is when you want to put on the protective coat. Some will just throw on a coat of Liquid Paint Sealant and be done. Others that want the ultimate shine will do a layer of Liquid Paint Sealant, followed by a layer of Brilliant Glaze (the glaze just helps to slightly fill in any imperfections that may not come out with the machine polishing and is only a temporary product), and then finally a layer of Americana or Patriot Wax to help seal in the Brilliant Glaze and give the finish that eye-scorching POP!

I know I typed a lot, and it is a lot to take in, but hopefully that helps answer some or all of your questions.  If I've made anything too confusing, just let me know, but I'm sure Dylan and others will chime in with expert advice too!

Edit: Adam also offers a full series of videos covering nearly every aspect of detailing a vehicle.  Very informative and thorough video series!  http://adamspolishes.com/video

Edited by psu goat

Brad,

It really depends on the condition of the paint on your vehicles and what your goals are with the paint etc. My advice would be to look at getting one of the Adams detail kits along with a clay bar and start there. You can make a huge difference in how the paint will look and feel without bringing a machine into the equation. Brilliant Glaze and any of Adams waxes or sealants will give your paint some noticeable pop after you wash and clay the paint to prep it. I dont think black wax is really going to do all that much in reality, but I havent used it so difficult for me to really say one way or another. Patriot wax gets very high praise although I have not used it. I have experience with every other Adams LSP and I can tell you they are all top notch.

Now moving into the DA polisher conversation, I have them and use them mostly polishing customers cars. Owning black cars, you are certainly familiar with swirls. The polishers job is to level the paint and get it as close to perfect as possible- aka swirl removal. I should have taken pictures of it, but what I was able to accomplish with the 2 step polish and Cyclo on some neglected 14 year old paint was truly amazing. Search some of the Adams videos on youtube there was one with a Corvette and you will see what the polisher kits on this site can accomplish.

I am not familiar with anything from Dewalt other than my cordless drill. Is what you have a buffer or is it a random orbital?

I have no experience with that product and compound, but the Adam's Paint Correcting Polish is what they offer for swirl and scratch removal by machine.

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/polishing/adam-s-paint-correcting-polish.html

And just an FYI, your posts might get edited for linking to outside competitor products.  It is prohibited on the forum.  You can mention products for comparison purposes, but I do not believe you can link to them, and the moderators have the right to edit posts.

Here's the user registration agreement, just updated earlier today as a matter of fact:

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/104-please-read-user-registration-agreement/?do=findComment&comment=439513

Got it with the external links... However If I am "missing the boat" I want to know... I want to disclose what I'm using so others can give me advise... I will stop posting external links and perhaps go to another form where I can get open, unbiased opinion...

Thanks for the heads up...

Sorry Brad, I wasn't trying to push you away or show a biased opinion. I've used many detailing products in the past before trying out Adam's. I simply could not get the results I achieve with half as much effort that I get with Adam's Polishes. Most of the big name brand polishes that I used prior to Adam's, one has a 3 in the name and the other has an M and rhymes with pliers just to name two, were difficult to use, difficult to remove the residue of the polish, and created lots of dusting. I tried Adam's and switched over every detailing product i have back in 2006. I've detailed close to 50 vehicles as a side job and hobby - for friends, family, neighbors, and other customers - and every single one of them have been 100% satisfied at the results.

I apologize if I dissuaded you from using this forum or made you want to go to other detailing enthusiast forums. I see that you made a separate thread about swirl marks that has some great inputs and recommendations, so hopefully you stick around to see that we have a truly great community here :)

Respectfully,

Dan Tyger

Edited by psu goat

^^^ Dan is right.

Brad we can talk applying that Patriot with you all day but to be fair and respectful to the company and its employees who own/operate this forum if you want rotary advice or what best combo of non Adams Polishes to use with said rotary buffer including the Megs cleaner wax I would say you'd gave better luck on Autopia forums.

Hey guys, I am new to the art... I'd like to share an example...

On the side... I Coach a High School Trap Team. "Anytime" you go to the Gun Range and ask for opinions of: 

1) Which gun to buy

2) Which Choke To Use

3) What Ammo to use

You get over 100 opinions...

#1 - I asked...

#2 - Everyone who offered opinion "were only trying to help"

So one must do what He thinks is best... If it does not work... try, try, again...

it's only money...

bw