Customer Service 866.965.0400

Deep Wheel Cleaner let down.

I just ordered and used the new Deep Wheel Cleaner and have to say, I am disappointed. I have done four cars/trucks now with different types of wheels and use. The DWC worked ok, but no better, in my opinion, than anything I could have picked up at retail store. What happened to the Green Wheel Cleaner? That stuff worked awesomely on stubborn dirt, and grime with very little or no brushing or wiping. Deep six the Deep Wheel and bring back the Green!

While I loved GWC over DWC because of its product type (I didn't really have a need for it), I wasn't ever disappointed in it. Did you follow the directions to a T?

Seeing as DWC is a lot stronger and a different concept than GWC there should be no reason it didn't work. 

What was your method or steps you used to use it? Did you wash the car first or did you do wheels first? The more detailed you are the better we can help.

Edited by Kingsford

DWC outperforms anything I have ever used. And I have used at least half a dozen other "Iron Dissolving" products.

Can you elaborate on what your cleaning process consisted of?

I own a Focus ST with the factory, organic brake pads. The pads perform nicely, but generate a TON of brake dust. I can literally turn my freshly washed wheels a dark grey in a matter of hours in stop-and-go traffic. I tell you this to underline the fact that I wash my wheels...a LOT. And I have tried just about every product on the market to make things easier.

Adam's DWC is, by a large margin, the best wheel decontaminate I have ever used. It outperforms the competition in every way, from the application, the smell, the required elbow grease, to the final result - literally every category.

We would love to help you achieve the best possible results, but we need details. Photos help, too!

Here is a photo of the barrel of the one of my wheels after cleaning with DWC. Spray on, let soak for 10 minutes, agitate, rinse:

post-11360-0-18504200-1428888436_thumb.jpg

Edited by PHOKUS

What are you getting over the counter to dissolve iron thats paint safe?

DWC is currently the best value and smelling iron decon product on the market hands down.

There are actually 2 iron dissolving wheel cleaners available at most stores such as Auto Zone.

Agreed, getting a little far field here.

Im still wondering what the OPs specific issue is. Does he not like how dwc performs as a generic wheel cleaner for dirt/grime or is he saying that its not dissolving metal.

It seems maybe he doesnt have much metal in his pads and sees better performance with a normal wheel cleaner?

I noticed my wheels have to be noticeably dirty in order for the deep wheel cleaner to work better than green wheel cleaner. If the rims are anywhere near clean, i stick with green wheel cleaner.

I don't think DWC is meant to be an every wash product. It's far too strong for a light cleaning. I typically use DWC after winter. Then soap the rest of the year unless there is a reason to use DWC again.

All I can say is not everybody is going to like every product all the time.  John (Coach66), thanks for your post and letting us know that you aren't happy with it. 

The cars I did were: Chevy Suburban, Ford F150, Ford Fusion, all with factory wheels and our 68 Mustang with the Chrome styled steel wheels.

Starting with wheels, tires and wheel wells before car. After wetting the wheel/tires, I used Adams all purpose cleaner entries and wheel wells and Deep Wheel Cleaner on wheels, the only exception to this was I used Black Magic Bleche-White on the Mustangs tires because I like the way the raised white lettering comes out better with Bleche-white. I used a long bristle, medium brush on all areas and a lug brush on lugs. I don't know if it's brake dust, grime, or what, but I ended up going over the wheels a second time with a microfiber and more DWC and some elbow grease because of a "shadow" or "film" of dirt or grime left behind. They came clean, but I NEVER had to go back over the wheels with Green Wheel Cleaner and didn't have to put much energy into the brushing. The DWC seemed to do better with the chromed wheels over the factory coated wheels. But when I used GWC, it worked on every wheel I had. If that many people like DWC, offer both. Ill be the guy buying GWC.

The cars I did were: Chevy Suburban, Ford F150, Ford Fusion, all with factory wheels and our 68 Mustang with the Chrome styled steel wheels.

Starting with wheels, tires and wheel wells before car. After wetting the wheel/tires, I used Adams all purpose cleaner entries and wheel wells and Deep Wheel Cleaner on wheels, the only exception to this was I used Black Magic Bleche-White on the Mustangs tires because I like the way the raised white lettering comes out better with Bleche-white. I used a long bristle, medium brush on all areas and a lug brush on lugs. I don't know if it's brake dust, grime, or what, but I ended up going over the wheels a second time with a microfiber and more DWC and some elbow grease because of a "shadow" or "film" of dirt or grime left behind. They came clean, but I NEVER had to go back over the wheels with Green Wheel Cleaner and didn't have to put much energy into the brushing. The DWC seemed to do better with the chromed wheels over the factory coated wheels. But when I used GWC, it worked on every wheel I had. If that many people like DWC, offer both. Ill be the guy buying GWC.

DWC should be used on a dry wheel and it shouldn't be leaving a film.  Were the wheels warm or hot?  

:iagree:  

Bingo dry wheels will make a difference. If they are wet it allows the product to run off and not clean the way it's supposed to. If the wheels were warm or hot the film could have been left from DWC. 

Best way to use a iron remover on wheels is Dry and Cool. Two keywords that should always be remembered.

Jim, I'll be honest, you shouldn't have any problems cleaning your wheels with DWC.  It has much more cleaning power than the now discontinued GWC, which was discontinued for a reason.

As a control test, take a bucket of suds and put about 1-2 oz of APC in them, that will simulate Green Wheel Cleaner.

If your wheels are cool, dry, and not in the sunlight, and you give the DWC the allowed 3 min or so dwell time BEFORE agitatiing with brushes, you shouldn't have a single issue getting those wheels sparkly clean.

If you are getting film and having to go over the wheels twice, there is an issue with your process here.  Are you using dry brushes or do you have them soaking in a bucket of suds?  Etc

Explain your wheel/tire regimen a bit better for us to help you, I understand not everyone likes every product all the time but the DWC is def a product that works as advertised and is superior to the discontinued product in every way.  But you do have to use it properly.

I use deep cleaner once a year, in the spring.  THAT'S IT! I have NO need for it any other time of the year. 

I commonly use Adams Car Shampoo diluted in a spray bottle, but will use APC if I have a greasy or oily wheel.  

IMO, DWC is MUCH too expensive to use every time I wash and it's not needed in my instance.  

This is definitely a new one for me... I haven't heard anyone ever say they had better cleaning from GWC than they did DWC. If you are no enjoying it I highly encourage you to contact us and take advantage of the 110% guarantee.

After reading thru the comments here it seems that its more about the type of contamination you're dealing with - none of the cars listed are going to have wheels heavy in metallic contamination to begin with so the usefulness of DWC for that purpose is going to almost non-existent for you. Also, as others have pointed out, DWC isn't your 'maintenance' wheel cleaner - its meant for times when you have a serious amount of brake dust to contend with.

For your situation I'd recommend what I do for most people - your day-to-day type cleanings should be done with just soap and water. Light contamination won't have a good bond with the wheel so just car wash shampoo and water will be more than enough and this will also help keep your sealant intact for longer.

If you are low on brake dust, but have more carbon based brake dust and road grime then using a 1:1 mixture of All Purpose Cleaner is going to be the most effective way for you to go - at least if DWC isn't giving you the results you want.

OK. The wheels were all cool when cleaned. I will try on a dry wheel, but I could swear that the video I saw (Adams) showed wetting it all down first. I am not new to this or to Adams products. I am a big supporter of Adams Polishes. I always had good luck with Green Wheel Cleaner and wish it was still available, but maybe a dry wheel makes that big of a difference. I'll try again, dry this time.

^John be sure to give it some dwell time too.

DWC is meant to be sprayed on and given time to break things down before agitating.

This. I usually leave my DWC alone on the wheel for 10 minutes prior to agitating.