Customer Service 866.965.0400

Maintenance Wheel Cleaner?

MattieDSC

Question

So since I've been detailing my car for a year or so now. I've always used a color change wheel cleaner like 1z color tech or Sonax FE every time I wash. The more I read on forums and try different things I believe this is unnecessary. So my question is what do you guys use for a maintenance wheel cleaning like every week or two?

You're wasting a ton of product to use it every wash.  Deep clean them, then seal the wheels with a Quick Sealant or so.  Then maintain with bucket of suds and brushes.

Yeah now you tell me when I've been going broke buying iron dissolving cleaners. I figured this much. My plan is to deep clean then make a maintenance spray with soap and maybe an ounce or 2 of apc in 32 oz spray bottle.

Just car shampoo.

Was hoping for some awesome "secret" mixture you guys had developed  :). Oh well guess I'll give it a shot

Edited by MattieDSC

Was hoping for some awesome "secret" mixture you guys had developed  :). Oh well guess I'll give it a shot

I can mix up some car shampoo in a spray bottle to sell to you  :P

As everyone else has said just regular car shampoo and wheel brushes after the wheels have been deep cleaned and sealed.

If I wash weekly or bi-weekly, I can get away with the same bucket of car shampoo that I wash the rest of the car with. I just use an old MF towel with some of the car wash soap set aside into a small container, usually an old margarine tub. I used to have a 1.5 gallon bucket that I used exclusively for wheels, but it came up missing one day after leaving it outside. Not sure if someone stole it or if my wife threw it away (she is bad about throwing my stuff away if I leave it out everywhere, we get in arguments about this all the time!)

If it gets dirtier than a bucket of soapy water can handle, then I will use a spray bottle with APC mixed 1:1, which is what I ways clean my tires with anyways. I will just spray the entire wheel instead of just the tire. I have actually only used the deep wheel cleaner one time. To me, it's pointless because my wheels never get that dirty. Even as dirty as the wheel get on my wife's Altima between washes, the APC has no problem getting them clean. I have been told that APC will strip sealant, but I don't put any wax or sealant on my wheels. I got a can of quick sealant on my last order, but I have yet to try it.

Does everyone use all 3 brushes from Adam's? I have the brush kit in my cart now. Oh or am I better off buying just 1 or 2 and buying more cleaners (or something else). Adams is gonna get some business from me this weekend just unsure of what. My tires / wheels seem to hold up well with a normal wash every week. Just thinking I definitely getting some all purpose and glass and h2ogg. Interior detail is in there also. Should I go another route? At some point I will end up with all Adams stuff and then it's just "maintenance " by buying what I run out of.

I have the old 3 piece Adams wheel woolie set, a boars hair brush from Braun for the wheel faces, a lug nut brush, and an angled wheel woolie for back of spokes.

I use every brush except the smallest wheel woolie on every maintenance wheel cleaning, with a bucket of suds. The deep wheel cleaner I use every 3 months and re seal.

They just have that one piece now. That is on my list. Is the Braun brush something available through Adams? If you were starting over would you just buy the brush kit and a wheel whoolie (angled)? Video looks cool I watched with Adam and the tire cleaning though I don't think he used every brush. Problem is I watch the video and say GOTTA HAVE IT. Do you have a separate bucket for tires also?