Customer Service 866.965.0400

Caked on black spots on inner wheel

Kdawg15

Question

Hi all,

I'm working on a 2012 MDX with factory clear coated wheels that weren't properly cleaned over the winter due to "reasons". I ordered a turbo stick and some deep wheel cleaner to attack the inner barrels and thought that would take care of these annoying caked on black "spots" which is the best way I can describe them (images below - didn't realize they were out of focus, but you can see them),

However, that didn't work (didn't expect it to, caked on pretty good). I also tried spraying some bug and tar remover inside them and wiping them down with a microfibre towel but that didn't help either. Then, I brought out some clay and QD to try it on a portion, still no significant progress.

Any suggestions as to how I can get rid of these black specks of gunk?

post-12939-0-34742400-1431650246_thumb.jpg

post-12939-0-47998800-1431650255_thumb.jpg

post-12939-0-76758800-1431650265_thumb.jpg

23 answers to this question

The rims on my jeep are like that, I'm thinking it's the brake dust etched into the clear coat. You could try claying it, but most likely it needs some sanding to get those spots out.

You may need a wheel acid to get those off if solvent, clay, and DWC didn't work at all.

Megs D140 comes to mind, wear a mask, and be sure to wet down the whole wheel so you aren't spraying it on dry surfaces.

Let dwell for about a min, light agitation with a brush, and pressure washer rinse.

You'll need to take the wheels off for this.

Yea I think that might work! I'm on the verge of trying a scotch-brite pad now (non-scratch one). Makes me cringe thinking about it but I'll try in an inconspicuous first using very little pressure and see if it creates any noticeable scratches.

Whenever this all comes off, I'll be sure to apply some liquid sealant and clean regularly, but sometimes you just can't avoid it!

Edited by Kdawg15

Yea I think that might work! I'm on the verge of trying a scotch-brite pad now (non-scratch one). Makes me cringe thinking about it but I'll try in an inconspicuous first using very little pressure and see if it creates any noticeable scratches.

Whenever this all comes off, I'll be sure to apply some liquid sealant and clean regularly, but sometimes you just can't avoid it!

I would try claying more or using a fine polish instead.

I had some dried grime that was chunky enough I had to pick it off using my fingernail. Not preferred, but on the inner barrel it worked fine. I had the wheels off the truck to do it.

Follow the instructions for D140 if you are using it. It can be used straight but I'd wet the wheel down first. Wear nitrile gloves, and don't inhale the fumes lol.

Did you try full strength APC or MFR by chance? Those are strong cleaners too

Try all purpose cleaner first, full strength. On a cool, dry wheel. Give it a minute to dwell and agitate with woollies or brushes. The pH is almost 13 so it should help.

The MFR is a concentrated surfactant and degreaser so you can try it but first I'd do multiple rounds of APC.