Customer Service 866.965.0400

Back from Deployment!

GtiGuy

Question

Hello all,

I posted a thread a few months back in the member check-in thread, and figured i'd post another letting y'all know i'm back from deployment! I did 8.5 months at sea on the USS Carl Vinson. She'll be back from her deployment soon, i'm separating from the Navy after almost 5 years of honorable service.

I've gotten moved into my new apartment and am thrilled to say I have my very own garage with private entry. Time to detail!

My username is irrelevant now, as I will be picking up a 2015 VW Golf GTI in a few weeks. SE trim with a manual trans. Absolutely can't wait!

With a new garage to work in and a new car to detail, plus the Memorial Day sale going on right now, I figure it's a great time to place a massive order. I know almost exactly what I want to purchase aside from towels...

I will be doing rinseless washes exclusively, as my apartment has a strict "no washing in the driveway" policy. Are single softs the preferred towel to use? For drying as well?

Also, do double softs have their place for polish/wax removal, or will single softs suffice?

Thanks in advance for the answers. It's definitely good to be back in the U.S. of A!

23 answers to this question

Welcome back Brandon, and thank you for your service.

The double softs are nice, but the single softs will work fine for removing polishes and wax/sealants.  

If you decide to use the 'bucket of towels' Rinseless wash method, the single softs will work great for that too.  Probably want to pick up a few Waterless Wash towels for the Rinseless wash too.

Thanks guys it's good to be home!

Yes, definitely going the bucket of towels method. I don't like the idea of "rinsing" contaminates out of a towel. Fresh towel for every panel! Would the waterless wash towels be preferred over single softs? I know in Adam's vids they're using double softs for rinseless, but those add up quick when you're buying a pile of them.

Edited by ChevyGuy

Single softs would be better than the waterless wash towels. You want a towel with longer fibers to help pick the dirt up and safely lift it from the surface.

Welcome back and thank you for everything you've done! :patriot:

No, thank you guys! It was the support back home that kept us going on this deployment.

So if money isn't a limiting factor, the preferred towels for rinseless would be double softs > single softs > waterless?

No, thank you guys! It was the support back home that kept us going on this deployment.

So if money isn't a limiting factor, the preferred towels for rinseless would be double softs > single softs > waterless?

Probably the Double softs, as the have a longer nap.

In my previous post was recommending the Waterless wash towels to dry with.  Sorry for the confusion.

Probably the Double softs, as the have a longer nap.

In my previous post was recommending the Waterless wash towels to dry with.  Sorry for the confusion.

Ah, got ya. Basically a smaller version of the GWDT.

Thank you for your service. Good luck with the GTI. Great cars...I test drove one but am just too large for that car.

I fell in love with it the second I sat in it. For a sub $30k car, the quality is unmatched. I'll make a separate thread for the car when I take delivery next month.

Well, $1328 later, I think I got my order figured out! It's going to be like Christmas when all this stuff arrives! Ended up buying double softs for the rinseless wash. Can't put a price on a flawless finish.

Well, $1328 later, I think I got my order figured out! It's going to be like Christmas when all this stuff arrives! Ended up buying double softs for the rinseless wash. Can't put a price on a flawless finish.

LOL can't wait to see the pictures of that order when it arrives!

Welcome Back and Thank You for your Service.  Can you share some pictures and or stories?  Always fascinating to see one of these beasts in person.  Had to the opportunity to see 3 or 4 carriers, some submarines, other ships, and the USS Cole, when I was back in Virginia a couple years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVknv-QPGfQ

Welcome Back and Thank You for your Service.  Can you share some pictures and or stories?  Always fascinating to see one of these beasts in person.  Had to the opportunity to see 3 or 4 carriers, some submarines, other ships, and the USS Cole, when I was back in Virginia a couple years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVknv-QPGfQ

Haha, what do you want to know? My girlfriend's got a ton of pictures from the ship (she's Navy as well) so i'll try to get some up eventually.

They filmed that BBC clip on this deployment, I was on board while they were filming. Cool look into day-to-day operations at sea.

Haha, what do you want to know? My girlfriend's got a ton of pictures from the ship (she's Navy as well) so i'll try to get some up eventually.

They filmed that BBC clip on this deployment, I was on board while they were filming. Cool look into day-to-day operations at sea.

What was your job?  Awesome opportunity that you had being on one.  A young man where my kid is learning to fly was shipped off last fall to fly for the Navy.  His goal was to fly F18's.

Edited by LFairbanks

What was your job?  Awesome opportunity that you had being on one.  A young man where my kid is learning to fly was shipped off last fall to fly for the Navy.  His goal was to fly F18's.

I worked in admin. Not a glorious job by any means, but it was rewarding.