Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Wheel Care

Robbie13

Question

I'm new here guys so be gentle. Feel free to point to the correct thread/post. I have a 2013 Ram MegaCab Dually. I just spent $5400 on American Force 22.5" Independence wheels. Mind you, I'm not bragging about that. That to me, is a boatload of money. These are polished aluminum and brand new. As of yet, I haven't even put them on the truck. I have recently ordered the metal polish 1 and 2 along with the sealant. I am far from being rich so I do not want to screw these wheels up. This truck spends most of its life in my climate controlled shop but occasionally has to be out in the elements. I have a beater I drive back and forth to work when the weather is less suitable. Anyway, thoughts on the first cleaning/sealing for these. I love detailing and making things shiny and clean. Thank you!post-13034-0-01450600-1433547743_thumb.jpg

Edited by Robbie13

If you are 100% sure they are raw aluminum and not clearcoated I would do them with MP2 and then seal them with a couple coats of Quick Sealant for protection.

Raw aluminum wheels are not easy to maintain so be sure to keep up with cleaning. Don't use APC on them either.

Welcome to the family Robbie! That Ram is gonna look killer with those rims! Looking at American a Force's site they don't mention if the rims are clear coated. Metal Polish will scratch clear coat, so please give AF a call to make absolutely certain they are/aren't clear coated. Please post pics of your Ram!!

Thanks for the replies guys! I am going to contact American Force just to confirm they are not clear coated. I feel as though they are not. So don't use the all purpose cleaner? Just regular car wash then when I wash the truck? Once I get the new wheels on I will definitely post pics. Should get it aligned beginning of next week when I'm done wrestling with the front end level kit. And get it cleaned up. Just found out they are indeed polished aluminum and not clear coated.

Edited by Robbie13

If you are 100% sure they are raw aluminum and not clearcoated I would do them with MP2 and then seal them with a couple coats of Quick Sealant for protection.

Raw aluminum wheels are not easy to maintain so be sure to keep up with cleaning. Don't use APC on them either.

They are not clear coated. What do you recommend cleaning them with? will regular car wash be ok?

Thanks for the replies. Alignment tomorrow morning then hopefully tomorrow evening I can put them on the truck. Have to find help. A two man operation! These are 16 ply semi tires on the rims. I can at least polish and seal the front ones on top of the stack. Will definitely post pics of finished product.

Edited by Robbie13

post-13034-0-48886100-1434064173_thumb.jpgpost-13034-0-10660600-1434064308_thumb.jpg

Here you go! This is a 9000lb truck. A lot of real estate to clean and detail. And in BLACK. The added 22.5" wheels polished aluminum takes me a while! I haven't yet cleaned the release agent off the tires. Will do that next wash. I did the #2 polish followed by sealant as was suggested.

Edited by Robbie13

Holy friggin crap man do you take a day to give that thing a wash and wax or what. And with raw aluminum wheels, I'm about to have a heart attack.

I know right? And yes, it takes me a while! Luckily, I have a 1200 sq ft shop behind my house that I park it in so it doesn't stay outside which helps. With the added rims now I may have to consider quitting my day job to maintain it.

Nice truck, and love how it looks/sits!

As Brian stated above, don't use harsh chemicals on them, or you'll be polishing them after washing. The QS will help considerably to protect them.

I own a set of raw, polished, aluminum CCW wheels that are on my garage queen 2006 Pontiac GTO. I bought the wheels used, in need of polishing, and was able to experiment with them. I found that MP #2 was pretty quickly able to bring the shine back when APC or DWC was allowed to get on them.

All this being said, don't try my cleaning method for removal of any tire bloom with an aerosol Bag and Tar remover from your other thread until you check how the aluminum reacts with the chemical in an inconspicuous spot.

After a drive, once cool, I wipe them down with sprayed on RW mixed at 1oz product to 15oz distilled water and use a seperate WW Towel for each wheel. Brake dust really seems to like to attach itself to the raw aluminum and will begin to pit the metal if left there too long.

attachicon.gifIMG_20150610_170213778.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20150611_061141299_HDR.jpg

Here you go! This is a 9000lb truck. A lot of real estate to clean and detail. And in BLACK. The added 22.5" wheels polished aluminum takes me a while! I haven't yet cleaned the release agent off the tires. Will do that next wash. I did the #2 polish followed by sealant as was suggested.

looks awesome.  and thank you not going to blacked out look!  the chrome wheels look sweet

Nice truck, and love how it looks/sits!

As Brian stated above, don't use harsh chemicals on them, or you'll be polishing them after washing. The QS will help considerably to protect them.

I own a set of raw, polished, aluminum CCW wheels that are on my garage queen 2006 Pontiac GTO. I bought the wheels used, in need of polishing, and was able to experiment with them. I found that MP #2 was pretty quickly able to bring the shine back when APC or DWC was allowed to get on them.

All this being said, don't try my cleaning method for removal of any tire bloom with an aerosol Bag and Tar remover from your other thread until you check how the aluminum reacts with the chemical in an inconspicuous spot.

After a drive, once cool, I wipe them down with sprayed on RW mixed at 1oz product to 15oz distilled water and use a seperate WW Towel for each wheel. Brake dust really seems to like to attach itself to the raw aluminum and will begin to pit the metal if left there too long.

Thank you for the info!

NICE!

Only thing I would do is remove the obscenely large "Ram 3500" emblems. Not sure why Dodge decided that an emblem that took up 1/3 of the top of the door was appealing. Haha.

It is large. I think the fact it is a dually already says its a 3500! Have been considering de-badging but the black scares the heck out of me.

Truck looks absolutely AWESOME with those rims! That truck is massive, and that's coming from a guy who had an 03 quad cab cummins Ram.

Thank you! I had an 06 Quad before this and I thought it was a pain to clean. At least it was silver.

one word..................BEAST..!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I surely hope that's not your daily! Lol. I'm no environmentalist...but you'll need your own oil well to keep that MONSTER fed! LOL

LOVE the wheels!

one word..................BEAST..!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I surely hope that's not your daily! Lol. I'm no environmentalist...but you'll need your own oil well to keep that MONSTER fed! LOL

LOVE the wheels!

Thank you! Yes, it is hefty. This thing could pull Jupiter out of orbit. Surprisingly I am getting about 17mpg with it. And luckily, I have a beater 94 Toyota truck I drive back and forth to work most of the time. Any idea how to get the finish back on it? Lol! Don't be hatin' on this jewel!

post-13034-0-81105000-1434309133_thumb.jpg

Edited by Robbie13