Customer Service 866.965.0400

Sweating while drying...

PT3

I may sweat more than the average beast... But for those that know what I'm talking about...

When it's so hot and humid with high dew points that you literally drip on your car when you're drying it... What the heck do you do?!? LOL

I know it's kind of funny... But man...I was getting a bit frustrated yesterday with the crazy heat. I would dry a spot and as I'm drying I'm dripping on previously dried areas! It took me double the time since I basically had to dry my car twice! Doh!

I was wearing Adidas Dri-fit shorts and t-shirt, sandles and an under armor visor. But after a short period of time I was soaked from head to toe and so my saturated clothes couldn't retain any more liquid and began dripping on the car as well!! Double wammy!

I know this may be a bit off color... But I'm sure others deal with this as well... So I'm wondering if anyone came up with a creative way to combat this.

lets think about it...the area you are probably going to drip on is the hood, top, and deck lid b/c you are bending over and reaching to dry the area.  All side panels should be ok as you are drying next to it, not over it.

With it being f'n a hot here in TX, I dry those areas first and just carry a small towel/microfiber in my pocket and before I dry those top areas, I wipe my self off first and then dry.  I wipe myself off before each top portion (hood, top, deck lid).  By the time you are done with these areas you have worked up a sweat but now you are drying the side panels.

Oh, and buy a truck b/c you only then have 2 tops sections to dry, ha!!!!

With it being f'n a hot here in TX, I dry those areas first and just carry a small towel/microfiber in my pocket and before I dry those top areas, I wipe my self off first and then dry.

Sweat while detailing is common lol...and as this guy said, here in texas its hot and humid right now. 

i tend to cool myself off with the hose prior to drying...it helps 

I feel your pain. I sweat. My friends say I sweat just looking at tools (nice friends). I dry with a master blaster with a towel wrapped around my neck.I work from the center of the roof, hood, and deck lid to the outside so if I do drip it is on a still wet area. I have more of an issue when I am buffing, waxing, and LSP. I try to do my detailing on cooler mornings?

I have the same predicament and more heat than you! (well duration-wise, not necessarily higher temps)  I do not usually have an issue when drying the car, but often "drip" when polishing and doing interiors.  I do have shade most the day in the summer (except for about 1:30-4:00), so that helps.  For interiors I try to keep a terry cloth towel handy.  For my own cars I primarily do Rinseless washes, in the garage if needed, which is a little faster that a regular wash.  I have 2 fans in the garage (one at each end) to help move the air a little. 

This is why I always do interiors first in the summer - I actually knocked out an express detail on the Honda and our Equniox yesterday when I got to work (testing and someone is coming to buy the Honda). Even at 8am here in CO it was already tickling the 80 degree mark so I pulled both inside the warehouse (shade, but no air con) and did the interirors so I wouldn't sweat all over them later.

I pulled both inside the warehouse (shade, but no air con) and did the interirors so I wouldn't sweat all over them later.

yuup. truck gets pulled into the garage where the fans are blowing when it's time to do the interior...only so i won't sweat every where.  i refuse to detail in the morning when it's the coolest tho. i typically detail when it is at the day's HOTTEST so i WILL sweat. great way to burn a few extra calories :D

Oh yeah.... ALWAYS do interior first! I can't explain how much I sweat my friends. I don't perspire... I SWEAT! And I don't start sweating toward the end of my session. I swear just prepping my stuff. Lol.

Either way... I like the idea of drying with a blower. Maybe I DO need to get a Master Blaster!!!

Hey Phil, maybe add some AC to your garage remodel.

I will eventually be putting a mini-split heat pump into the garage.  I hate working in the heat, and sweating to the point of being soaked through.  The heat pump will also be more efficient than the electric heater I use during the winter.

Hey Phil, maybe add some AC to your garage remodel.

I will eventually be putting a mini-split heat pump into the garage.  I hate working in the heat, and sweating to the point of being soaked through.  The heat pump will also be more efficient than the electric heater I use during the winter.

Those are suppose to work good.   You can get them where you can have more that one inside unit on one outside unit. 

Wolf-

I'm only redoing the garage for the GT3 since I'm not ready to move yet. But I won't be here more than 2-3 years. I can't still be in a town home when I turn 40!! I'll need a REAL garage by that point as I plan to get into club racing quite heavily.

So, I don't want to invest any more into this garage. As it is I'm at about 5k with the remodel!! Granted, I can take about 1200 worth of storage with me when I move... But still...you get the point.

I think the only answers to my sweat issue are:

1- Visor suited for sweat absorption

2- Keep a towel around my neck (I was just periodicaly using a paper towel to dry myself. Doh!!)

3- Wrist bands worn up around elbow (douche alert!)

4- suck it up...or shut up!

Edited by PT3

I basically drip, Phil.  All the time.  When I played soccer in high school I used to wring out my uniform, socks, etc and get a good 16 ounces or more of sweat out of it.  I usually can lose fluids faster than I take them in.  I quit worrying about women noticing how much of a sweaty guy I was years ago (and I'm not fat either)

Yesterday I wiped the bike off after a night cruise and I was dripping at the brow in 2 mins.

-Always wear undershirts (absorbs some sweat before it gets to the main shirt

-Do interiors first

-Dry off roof, windshield, hood first after the wash

-Have plenty of QD around to spray and wipe any rogue drops on the paint LOL

Also, see if you can go to Target/Dicks etc and get some of those moisture wicking type material shirts to detail in, whether its Under Armour or a generic brand.  Much better than regular cotton, does keep me cooler and doesnt weigh me down when full of sweat.

Oh and last tip, have plenty of cold beer around when detailing, since its 90% water anyway LOL

Also, see if you can go to Target/Dicks etc and get some of those moisture wicking type material shirts to detail in, whether its Under Armour or a generic brand.  Much better than regular cotton, does keep me cooler and doesnt weigh me down when full of sweat.

I did not even think of this one, as those shirts are all I wear when detailing or exercising.  I found some thin UnderArmour with a large "UA" logo on sale and bought several.  They are my detailing 'uniform' when I am mobile (medium blue shirt, khaki shorts).  Any 'wicking' shirt is good, but the ones that are more 'woven' will easily pull on backing plate velcro.

I basically drip, Phil.  All the time.  When I played soccer in high school I used to wring out my uniform, socks, etc and get a good 16 ounces or more of sweat out of it.  I usually can lose fluids faster than I take them in.  I quit worrying about women noticing how much of a sweaty guy I was years ago (and I'm not fat either)

Yesterday I wiped the bike off after a night cruise and I was dripping at the brow in 2 mins.

-Always wear undershirts (absorbs some sweat before it gets to the main shirt

-Do interiors first

-Dry off roof, windshield, hood first after the wash

-Have plenty of QD around to spray and wipe any rogue drops on the paint LOL

Oh and last tip, have plenty of cold beer around when detailing, since its 90% water anyway LOL

Hey bud! I feel ya. I sweat in the shower! I just run hot. And while I'm not thin, I'm not fat either. Years playing ball and powerlifting has me at 6' 260 but with a 50 jacket and 38 waist.

I sweated through 3 complete outfits this past weekend... And that WAS with under armor wicking under and outer wear! And I was able to wring them out quite a bit!

As for fluids... I consume between 1 and 2 gallons per day regardless of my activities. Yes...gallons. I used to consume 10,000 calories per day when I was training.

Thanks for the input.

Buy a master blaster. I've been fighting back troubles and would be really soar after a good wash and dry now I foam the car a few times wash it off and blast it off no sweating very little bending involved best tool I have.

Edited by efroeh

Hey bud! I feel ya. I sweat in the shower! I just run hot. And while I'm not thin, I'm not fat either. Years playing ball and powerlifting has me at 6' 260 but with a 50 jacket and 38 waist.

I sweated through 3 complete outfits this past weekend... And that WAS with under armor wicking under and outer wear! And I was able to wring them out quite a bit!

As for fluids... I consume between 1 and 2 gallons per day regardless of my activities. Yes...gallons. I used to consume 10,000 calories per day when I was training.

Thanks for the input.

6' 260 you are a beast.  I'm 5'7" 190-195, 44(athletic, you know it!) on the jacket and 34 waist ideally I should get down to 180 and rock solid and down to a 32 again, gotta hit the weights more and stop cleaning cars lol!

6' 260 you are a beast.  I'm 5'7" 190-195, 44(athletic, you know it!) on the jacket and 34 waist ideally I should get down to 180 and rock solid and down to a 32 again, gotta hit the weights more and stop cleaning cars lol!

Lol... I'd love to be back down to fighting weight (225/30). But I'm more concerned with sculpting my financial portfolio than my abs these days! I still get in my striking and weight training a few times a week. But not the 7 days a week as I used to.

Speaking about weight, I have recently gone from 389 to 315sh (6ft tall) in the last year and a half. I, too, sweat more than the average human. I always carry a "sweat rag" in my pocket whether I'm cutting grass or detailing the cars. I absolutely HATE summertime, LOL! But, making myself go out and do yard work or working in the shop along with detailing helps me stay active and has helped keep the weight off. Having a pair of bad knees and 2 deteriorating discs doesn't help my cause, but I find If I sit around on the weekends I can;t hardly move come Monday. I have a long way to go to get to my goal of 250, but as long as I stay active I am happy.

Speaking about weight, I have recently gone from 389 to 315sh (6ft tall) in the last year and a half. I, too, sweat more than the average human. I always carry a "sweat rag" in my pocket whether I'm cutting grass or detailing the cars. I absolutely HATE summertime, LOL! But, making myself go out and do yard work or working in the shop along with detailing helps me stay active and has helped keep the weight off. Having a pair of bad knees and 2 deteriorating discs doesn't help my cause, but I find If I sit around on the weekends I can;t hardly move come Monday. I have a long way to go to get to my goal of 250, but as long as I stay active I am happy.

Nice work! Keep it up! I too have a bad knee (bone on bone) and herniated discs. I know how you feel!

I'm a big proponent of portion control first. Then food quality second. The less active and less amount of lean muscle mass you have, the less calories you need. Anything more turns to fat.

And regular exercise is KEY. It's basic physics: a body in motion, stays in motion...a body at rest, stays at rest.

Keep it up Chris you can surely do it!

Fitness is a daily regimen, the people that say 2-3x a week are the people who are just maintaining a good metabolism and genetics.  If you are like me and Phil, you have to make it basically daily to get any results.  Just doing SOMETHING daily is better than nothing.  Example, if you weren't hitting weight training because its an off day, at least get 20-30 mins of solid cardio in, rather than completely omit exercise.

Once you make exercise daily a routine, its hard to go back to not doing so.  Eat healthy, lean protein, low on carbs, omit all the sugar you possibly can (more addictive than nicotine!), and go easy on dairy, and drink plenty of water.  You WILL see a large difference and definitely get down to your goal weight.

Agreed with Phil, food is fuel, as we get older we need less of it.  I'm only 28 but there is a HUGE difference in what I'm able to eat nowadays, and the amount I'm able to put down, without "packing the pounds on", compared to just 8 years ago in college!

And also, rest is key, a body not rested does not properly metabolize, try to get a solid 8 hours a night if you can!

Edited by Ricky Bobby