Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wedge -vs- Pad

Eschlichte

Question

All,

I am curious if anyone out there can share some experiences with the Wash Pad -vs- The Wedge?  Which do you like better?  Does it matter?  I have the pad and like it except to really get some bugs out.. But again this was before using Adam's products so this car had some pretty bad bug guts stuck on.  I will be getting a micro fiber pad to help with that as well but I was curious if the wedge allowed more pressure for scrubbing.

Thoughts?

13 answers to this question

I was not sure I would like the wedge.  I've been using a Merino Wool Wash Mitt for years and have always loved it.  I use a standard wash pad for the lower portion and rocker panels.

I have to tell you - I really like the wedge. It's great to be able to rub it with my hand in the rinse bucket to clear it out and it's very easy to see and remove debris mid-wash. I was afraid it wouldn't hold as much suds as the mitt but it holds suds great,

And you can definitely scrub down hard if you need to - but I rarely need to.  I still use a standard wash pad for the lower part of the car.

Hard to say which I like better - the Wedge or the Wool Mitt - but it's DEFINATELY better than a standard wash pad.

Edited by Beemer

I have the wedge and a diff wash sponge currently. I am planning on replacing that soon with pads thou. 

I really love the wedge, that thing can hold soap like no tomorrow. Check out the Shine Docs vid on using it and it really does work like that. I have seen it suck up dirt and leave it deep in the wedge to keep it out of the paint. It does take some good washing of the wedge to get the deep stuff out if you do not prerinse the vehicle. But otherwise I really love the wedge. The handle is also great on it for being able to really reach across the roof and hood of my truck. 

I was Wedge skeptical at first and I have to admit, I totally love it.

Holds soap like a champ and is far easier to clean than a pad.

Like others, I tend to use the wedge above the belt-line and the pad below.

I don't like the wedge, way too thick IMO, doesn't give me too good of a tactile feel in regards to pressure.  This is just my personal opinion, I know some people love it.

The wash pads have not let me down (and I also use a Merino Wool mitt) and I replace them about once a year, they take a lot less pressure to properly lift grime off the paint than the wedge in my opinion.  Personally I'll stick with them.

I find the wedge easier to hold so have been using it more lately. Also my husband has had some issues with his skin reacting to soaps and chemicals so he likes that he can hold the wedge and keep his hand out of the soap for the most part.

I've only had mine since June so jury is still out on durability.

Annette

I find the wedge easier to hold so have been using it more lately. Also my husband has had some issues with his skin reacting to soaps and chemicals so he likes that he can hold the wedge and keep his hand out of the soap for the most part.

I've only had mine since June so jury is still out on durability.

Annette

Annette after a few years of this my hands are sensitive, I don't even wash the car anymore without putting on a pair of nitrile gloves, your husband should start the same regimen and protect your skin from absorbing chemicals.  The soaps are fairly gentle but anything in high exposure should be eliminated.

I don't like the wedge, way too thick IMO, doesn't give me too good of a tactile feel in regards to pressure.  This is just my personal opinion, I know some people love it.

The wash pads have not let me down (and I also use a Merino Wool mitt) and I replace them about once a year, they take a lot less pressure to properly lift grime off the paint than the wedge in my opinion.  Personally I'll stick with them.

^^ This! I have more control with the pads, with the wedge it feels like my hand is too far of the paint.

I personally never was a fan of the wash pads myself always preferred  a sponge.  But I love the wedge as that is my go to wash media at this time. As far as gloves . I always wear a pair of those long chemical resistant ones. Due just using so many types of chemicals does build up overtime.

I love the pad, but I never used it on the bottom foot of the car because of how stuck debris can get. I used an older mitt for that.

I picked up the wedge because of how easy it appears to clean and get all the grit out/off. After using it, I can sympathize with those who feel too disconnected. The pad really holds suds better too... maybe not in actuality but I don't like having to apply pressure with the wedge to get suds out, feels risky.

So now, I'm the opposite of marquez. I use the pad down to the middle of the doors, and the wedge for the lower sections and front bumper. This way I preserve the cleanliness of the pad, and I like how it feels on the sensitive areas (hood, trunk, roof) - I can really let the weight of the wet pad do the work vs. how light the wedge is. 

While I do like the wedge for the lowers, I'm also wary of the grip delaminating and hopefully it holds up (no pun intended).

I think the answer is that both compliment each other well for a complete solution. If I had to choose 1, I would choose the pad.

Edited by butters