Customer Service 866.965.0400

Using Diluted Rinseless as a detail spray.. best practices?

butters

Question

When my first 16 ounces of Detail Spray began to dwindle, I started to look around at my options. I knew I needed by-the-gallon, but I'm not at a point in life where I'm very comfortable throwing wads of cash around like that considering how often I'd used it (ideally each wash). I had seen mention of no-rinse chemicals being diluted to serve this purpose and watched all the videos on Adam's Rinseless. The idea of rinseless washing scared me but it could be nice in the winter, and the economics of using it as a detail spray (and other uses) seemed very compelling, so I pulled the trigger on a gallon of the stuff rather than Detail Spray... for now. I have a black daily driver and I work to maintain a show-like finish, and ironically my non-daily is white.

So the Rinseless arrived, I ran out of Detail Spray and double checked the advice on Rinseless dilution. Ricky Bobby had posted in summer '14 that 1:16 works, so I added 1 ounce to my bottle and filled the rest with distilled water. I do like the smell and it's remarkable how strong the color is at such a dilution.. this stuff is concentrated!

That brings me to my main question - is there a possibility that 1:16 is too much for quick detail application? The other day I did a 2-bucket wash and then sheet rinsed, and began drying like always, misting as much as half the car then using my GW towel. I found it to be really frustratingly streaky/hazy, like the product was drying on me. I was in my garage after sundown though, albeit it in pretty humid conditions. Maybe the humidity was a problem? It seemed like misting more product wasn't helping, until the next day (hadn't driven it).

I keep a less concentrated solution in another sprayer and actually used that to clean the windshield of a loaner I have, with great results. It might be on the order of half as concentrated. I suppose there's some experimenting to be done here.

Anyways I was curious what the Adam's hivemind thought. I've done a couple Rinseless washess (GDWM) and despite the dirty laundry I'm now a convert, it's great, so I'm beginning to think I'll eventually break down and get a gallon of Detail Spray anyway.. I miss that smell.

10 answers to this question

I find that Detail Spray leaves a better finish on my car.  I always follow a Rinseless Wash with a Detail Spray wipedown.

I get that a gallon of DS is expensive but it really takes VERY LITTLE to wipe down a whole car.  I've had my gallon for quite some time (sorry - don't know exactly how long) and I still have plenty left.

edit: Just checked.  Ordered my latest gallon of DS December 2014 and have almost 3/4 of it left.  At this rate it might last as much as two years!

Edited by Beemer

i would get the Detail Spray it adds to the shine. But rinseless it great for wipe downs. But it has no shine it is in it's essence a soap it has nothing that adds to your finish. If you like using rinseless i would dilute it more 16:1 is waterless wash strength, I would try 64:1 that is clay lubrication and work my way up from there to the desired outcome 

DS gallon $44.99

DS 16 ounce $12.99

128 ounces in a gallon

8 16 ounce bottles in a gallon = $5.62/16 bottle when purchased by the gallon

Just sayin'

Waterless Wash is just a Cleaner

Detail Spray is a Gloss Enhancer

Rinseless Wash is both a Cleaner and a Gloss Enhancer

As a drying aid, use Detail Spray

If you wish to wipe off dust from the vehicle and not add anything to the paint surface use Waterless Wash

To get the benefits of both mix 1 ounce of Rinseless Wash into 15 ounces of distilled water, as instructed on the back of the bottle. I believe the gloss left behind with this method equals, if not exceeds, a Detail Spray wipe down.

If the Rinseless wash is streaking:

1.) It's mixed at too great a concentration.

2.) It's being sprayed onto too large a surface area and drying before it's being wiped off.

Hope this helped.

I echo Dave's post completely.

The humidity may have aided in streaking, and it may have been TOO MUCH product sprayed on a panel, if you spray too much you will find it is nice as easy to wipe streak free because you are loading the panel up with polymer.

Try 1-2 mists per panel when drying, just like Detail Spray.  And yes, it works great, leaves an awesome shine (there is a wax additive in Rinseless), and like any chemical, only use the amount you need and not too much.

Only time I recommend really saturating is when using as a pre-soak for Rinseless (GDWM) washing.

DS gallon $44.99

DS 16 ounce $12.99

128 ounces in a gallon

8 16 ounce bottles in a gallon = $5.62/16 bottle when purchased by the gallon

Just sayin'

Very true. I think I just need to let a little time go by since my last order and then go for the DS gallon. In the mean time I'll probably play around with some less concentrated rinseless spray to follow regular washes as a drying aid.

Thanks all for the input.

I have posted this before and have a black Silverado for a daily driver and when I ran out of Detail Spray, I used diluted Riseless wash as a drying aid or to remove light dust and have not looked back. To me the Rinseless Wash leaves a much greater pop to my black paint then Detail Spray. When I ran out of Interior Cleaner I also used my deluted Rinseless Wash on the plastic parts and looks great.

I am now using one product instead of two for my exterior and interior and very happy with the results. The water beads great off the vehicle and glass and the exterior trim and chrome look great also.

Guys at work always comment on the truck and think I spent all weekend polishing it. :D