Customer Service 866.965.0400

Deep Wheel Cleaner Haze?

2500HHP

Hello all! I recently did a truck for a friend of a friend...They had a major complaint about the Matte Black wheels on the truck when they finally saw it, and in turn bashed me publicly on a truck group I was a part of...

What It looked like in the pictures to me was hazing. Has anyone else experienced this before with matte black wheels? I took pictures of the truck and wheels before I left, and what they had found 2 days later. I must admit, this is my first time doing matte finished wheels using the deep wheel cleaner.

First picture is the roadside rear wheel when I left the truck. The second picture is the roadside rear wheel almost 3 days after? When they complained about the wheels, I saw which one I had a picture of and specifically asked for a picture of the same one.

IMG_39251_zpsboqyv1yd.png

IMG_40251_zpsfcyl2dew.png

Yeah, I'm sure you could remove it. I'm just curious if it has the tendency to do so? I have had ZERO issues with it on gloss and or chrome finishes. This is the first time I've had my butt chewed over it :rolleyes:

Edited by Dan@Adams

I wish I still had my TBSS with the matte black winter wheel setup to test out for you. I would recommend against using Metal Polish on a matte black painted wheel to remove hazing, mentioned earlier in this thread. Instead, I would try washing them again with Car Shampoo or Waterless Wash, or a clay bar if neither of those work.

I would be hesitant to use any type of polish or glaze on a matte black wheel to remove the haziness without first talking to the customer or testing it in an inconspicuous area such as the inside of a spoke, as polish or glaze might give the matte wheel surface an unwanted amount of shine while removing the haze.

Edited by Dan@Adams

Unfortunately Dan, they made their displeasure quite clear and I doubt I'll be doing anymore work for them lol. Was able to get some really great interior before and afters however on this vehicle haha.

I think next time, I'll stick with some nice suds on matte wheels. However I know the deep wheel cleaner works great on polished/ gloss painted wheels.  I just find it strange because they looked great when I left the vehicle!!

I have matte black wheels and have used DWC with no problems. I also have hazing but it is not due to DWC. The hazing I have is with the front wheels only and only on the barrels. I have pulled all 4 wheels and used polish on the barrels to remove the haze. The haze returns after I have driven several times. I have a Challenger Hellcat and the front brakes throw A LOT of brake dust and probably heat which I think contributes to the hazing. Just out of curiosity what did the interior look like?

I've experienced hazing on raw aluminum wheels, but it was noticed right away and easily removed with Adam's MP #2.

As Dan stated don't try to remove the haze on matte finished wheels with any type of polish, as it will turn the matte to gloss.

Could the DWC have dried on the wheel surface? That'll leave hazing

Perhaps not all the product was rinsed off the wheel? Tough to tell from the pic.

Again, as you'd stated above, just wash them with a strong Car Shampoo solution first to see if that cleans them up before moving on to more aggressive means.

That really sucks, I used DWC on several sets of matte Corvette wheels at the Mid America Motor works show last weekend. I did a final wipe down on the face of one set, after they were cleaned and dried, with waterless wash and they came out great. That's strange that it was a couple days later.

I went for a "satin" black painted finish on my winter wheels last year and found that although it does hide brake dust to an extent, the non-gloss finish seems to really hold onto that dust and dirt.

In the winter my washes often take place after sundown, and my usual routine would leave the wheels looking dirty the next day such that I'd need to follow up with another wipedown. I don't use any wheel cleaner product, I just use an old wash mitt with car shampoo and elbow grease (I do it often so that it takes minimal effort). It certainly takes more effort with a non-gloss finish, so I would recommend an additional inspection at the very end of your routine to be sure. I didn't have any real problem with persistent hazing, so perhaps shampoo is the way to go.

Edited by butters

How do you know that they are not just dirty? Thats what it looks like to me

They do look dirty. Which is bizzare. The only thing I could tell them is that there must be hazing. Both pictures are the same wheel, 3 days apart. They were out of town, so to my knowledge the truck was not driven....

I have matte black wheels and have used DWC with no problems. I also have hazing but it is not due to DWC. The hazing I have is with the front wheels only and only on the barrels. I have pulled all 4 wheels and used polish on the barrels to remove the haze. The haze returns after I have driven several times. I have a Challenger Hellcat and the front brakes throw A LOT of brake dust and probably heat which I think contributes to the hazing. Just out of curiosity what did the interior look like?

Thor, Here are a couple before and afters to give you a general idea of how neglected this truck was haha.

IMG_38861_zpsuqsin0ch.jpg

IMG_39001_zpsiza1vlp8.jpg

IMG_39021_zpswkkdn2lr.jpg

IMG_39101_zpsovyv0drk.jpg

Also, Here is another picture of the finished truck. Clean wheels, Mostly corrected paint, dressed and waxed.

IMG_39161_zpswb47xu4h.jpg

Edited by 2500HHP

Were the wheels dry and cool when you applied the DWC? Revive polish would take care of the haze but be careful it may shine them a bit too.

Yes Chris, they were. I sprayed them with DWC, let it sit for as long as it took me to mix shampoo in my foam cannon, then scrubbed them and rinsed.

What a joke, right? When I spoke to him on the phone prior and we agreed on everything, I was told "Interior is decent, just a couple spots."

Pop on the ceiling isn't decent.  And not seeing a vacuum anytime recently, and the center console being stained like it was isn't decent.  If it were me I would have pushed back and asked the same question I did about the wheels and his issue there when he can't even seem to maintain the inside.  Personally it almost sounds like it is his issue and not yours and he is making it easy to blame you.  

If you look at the first picture carefully it almost looks like the issue is there, but the bulk of it is cleaned up.  In comparison to the second picture.  My guess would be that the wheel looked like the second picture when you started and he is blaming you for that.  If you look carefully at the edges where the red meets the black there is that buildup still there in both the first and last picture.  If that makes sense.  If it doesn't, let me know and I will try to better explain.  I'm guessing when you did the tire dressing on the tire you wiped the wheel itself with SuperVRT.  It washed off over the course of a couple days and the wheel went back to it's original state and he is now blaming you.

I think that the wheels looked like they do in the second picture to begin with and is trying to make it sounds as though it was something you did.  As mentioned others haven't had the issue you had and used the same product on matte wheels.   The wheels probably have never been cleaned and have deteriorated.  

Edited by LFairbanks

Thanks for your reply Chris. I didn't know the wheels had a bunch of bolt on stuff over the faces, and I wasn't anticipating having to take them apart to clean them, I did what I could and what I could get to.

Trust me, we had quite a colorful conversation afterwards about how his view on what's acceptable is seriously distorted compared to the average being; myself included. I apologized they weren't 100% happy with what they were looking at and sent them the pictures of how the vehicle looked before I left that day. I have not heard back from them since. And like you mentioned, with the condition the truck was in, who knows if there was etching, permanent damage to wheels etc from lack of maint. Nothing stood out to me while I was with the vehicle all day, but you never know I guess.

In this thread, I was asking if there was a possibility of there being a haze after they are dry and clean, the consensus I'm getting is......NO. Also like I said previously, this the first "issue" I've had with DWC. I've always had great results, even days after.  I'm beginning to think the truck was joy ridden because that's the only picture I got. Their driveway is dusty gravel.

Edited by 2500HHP