Customer Service 866.965.0400

Getting rid of bugs

Cwilliams

Question

So this is my bumper and the plastic under it that are caked in bugs and they are very hard to get off with regular bucket washing. Have tried other brands "bug remover" and they do not work. What from Adams would get this crud off? Thanks for the help.

post-13499-0-56397200-1444584831_thumb.jpeg

18 answers to this question

Pre-soak with WW or diluted RW.  If that is not enough, then claying may be required.

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/28985-bug-removal/?hl=bugs&do=findComment&comment=452875

Once you get them cleaned off, add some protection with LPS or QS so they don't stick so bad next time.

I very rarely have to use a wash pad on bugs, a pre-soak and the pressure washer removes most bugs.

The best way to get them off is to immediately remove them. However, since we all have real world lives and cannot always clean the front of our vehicles after every drive, I found the best way is to pre-soak with WW or even DS and what doesn't come off with pressure washing will come off with a dedicated wash mitt. If I find a few stubborn clingers, I clay them and add more protection.

Another technique - use thin MF towels with Adam's Car Wash Shampoo or Rinseless.  Pre-treat the area with Waterless Wash, and soak thin MF towels in the wash bucket.  Wring them out a little, but still slightly wet, then place them over the 'bug-y' area (in your case place at much of the towel on the vertical panel as possible, then the rest on the bottom of the fascia).  Leave them in place for 5-10 minutes, remove them, and clean the area with you usual wash mitt.Bugcleaning2018.jpg

I have been able to clean our love bugs with this method.  The best part it is leaves your protection in place.

Toyotavan003_zps6bee0267.jpg

Toyotavan005_zpscc0db2a0.jpg

Another technique - use thin MF towels with Adam's Car Wash Shampoo or Rinseless.  Pre-treat the area with Waterless Wash, and soak thin MF towels in the wash bucket.  Wring them out a little, but still slightly wet, then place them over the 'bug-y' area (in your case place at much of the towel on the vertical panel as possible, then the rest on the bottom of the fascia).  Leave them in place for 5-10 minutes, remove them, and clean the area with you usual wash mitt.Bugcleaning2018.jpg

I have been able to clean our love bugs with this method.  The best part it is leaves your protection in place.

Toyotavan003_zps6bee0267.jpg

Toyotavan005_zpscc0db2a0.jpg

This also works on Motorcycle windshields  :D

Guest washemup

For really dried on bugs, I use APC. Spray it on and wait about 5 minutes, do not allow it to dry. Use a pressure washer, if you don't own one, you can go to a pay and spray and use one. If any remain I spray them again with APC, go over them lightly with a bug sponge or clay.

The downside to this is you will remove any wax or sealant that you have on this area, after washing the rest of the car, be sure and apply whichever Adams protection product you have.

The area will be easier to clean the next time, and the above less aggressive methods will be able to easily remove them, provided you don't leave them on too long.

Those love bugs are the worst! The female's are highly acidic and should be removed ASAP!

Guest washemup

Boy, am I glad we don't have those things in my area!

Yeah, but we have those bee's that use the bathroom on our paint and leave those nasty little spots!

It's not an Adam's product, but I put a spray head on a bottle of hydrogen peroxide. Spray the bugs let it set, but not dry and rinse. Has always worked great on my Harley and my other vehicles.

It's not an Adam's product, but I put a spray head on a bottle of hydrogen peroxide. Spray the bugs let it set, but not dry and rinse. Has always worked great on my Harley and my other vehicles.

Is that safe for plastic trim?

Is that safe for plastic trim?

I haven't seen any ill effects from it's use. I've used it on the my Harley's windshield and my helmet face shields along with various metal and plastic painted parts. A Google search shows a bunch of different forums showing it's use.

Try a Bounce dryer sheet.

Thank me later.  :)

Dude, why did I not try this before? I have known about it for a long time but wrote it off because of too many people talking about how it scratches. But thinking about it, how much more will you be scratching the surface with a dedicated "bug sponge" or any other media that will make contact with the bugs/paint? I know the absolute best way is no contact with high pressure water but like I said earlier, it is not always practical to immediately clean your vehicle after every drive.

Now for my little twist. What about spraying the bugs with liquid fabric softener before hitting with water?

Oh, and Thank you!

Is it pinnacle brand? I bought one of theirs to try also and it feels very rough.

I don't think it's that brand, but I looked that up and it's the same type of sponge. I've even tested one on a car for scratching and I had to use it dry with a lot of pressure to make any noticeable light scratches.