Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cleaning Tires

Thomas

Question

I have a truck with BFGoodrich All-Terrain KO2 tires and have experienced tire blooming that I believe was caused by the reaction with the tire and Deep Wheel Cleaner. The marks look like the runoff of the Deep Wheel Cleaner as it dripped down my tire from the wheel. I have looked on the forum and found out about tire blooming and the ins and outs but I still can't manage to get rid of the marks. I have the Adam's Deep Clean Tire Scrub Brush (the synthetic blue brush) and All Purpose Cleaner and have scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed and after several washes the tire blooming has started to slightly fade. I can't get off the tire blooming and I'm here for some advice. Also, another problem I have is that making tighter turns or parking I have rubbed the tire on the curb and again can not remove the tire rash with the Adam's Deep Clean Tire Brush and All Purpose Cleaner. Scrubbing either doesn't get off the dirt and grime or reacts with the tire more and causes brown streaks from the brush. I know it's not the end of the world because they're only tires that will eventually be replaced but I'm wondering if the tire shine will probably just hide it.

post-13271-0-51732600-1445971125_thumb.jpg

post-13271-0-05676800-1445971134_thumb.jpg

post-13271-0-62473000-1445971139_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thomas

25 answers to this question

Welcome to the forum Thomas!

Adam's Tire Shine may hide it, it's worth a try. Or even the SVRT.

What may have actually happened is the Deep Wheel Cleaner completely cleaned the rubber of anything left on it as it ran off the wheel, which is allowing for the tire bloom. You may need to scrub the tire several times with Adam's APC to completely remove all tire protectants that may have been previously applied.

The curb rash is abrasion to the sidewall of the tire, it won't scrub off. Tire Shine or SVRT may minimize it's appearance though.

Edited by BRZN

They look dry. My tires get like this after winter usually. Continuous scrubbing with APC will just continue to dry out the rubber.

SVRT would clear it up. Probably going to take about 2-4 applications. Let it sit for about 20-30 minutes in between applications to let the tire soak up the SVRT.

If you haven't read this write up yet check it out. Per that write up your tires may still have some stubborn mold release on them and that could contribute to the excessive blooming. In the Tire Shine video Adam mentions using mineral spirits and 0000 steel wool to clean the tires...just be carful of your wheels. Also in that write up it explains that DWC can contribute to tire blooming and why.

Edited by NG13

Hi Thomas, welcome to the forum!

To my knowledge, DWC will not cause blooming or staining on tires, but some of the other guys can chime in.

I run those same tires, and had to scrub them many times to get them cleaned up.  It looks like a combination of blooming and mud stains.  How long have those tires been on?  Have you use any other tire dressings on the tires? 

I would scrub them a few more times with APC, and add some Dawn Dish Soap to give the APC more hang time, then after they are dry, dress them with SVRT to try and cover it up.  Scrub the tires at each wash, and reapply SVRT, and you will eventually get them clean.

If you do your own wrenching, give them a good cleaning when you rotate the tires, as it will be easier to scrub and clean them while they are laying flat.  I rotate mine every 6 months, and scrub them real good while they are off.

20150620_152345.jpg

20150614_174148.jpg

Thank you all for replying to my post and I will try your suggestions.

Hi Thomas, welcome to the forum!

To my knowledge, DWC will not cause blooming or staining on tires, but some of the other guys can chime in.

I run those same tires, and had to scrub them many times to get them cleaned up.  It looks like a combination of blooming and mud stains.  How long have those tires been on?  Have you use any other tire dressings on the tires? 

I would scrub them a few more times with APC, and add some Dawn Dish Soap to give the APC more hang time, then after they are dry, dress them with SVRT to try and cover it up.  Scrub the tires at each wash, and reapply SVRT, and you will eventually get them clean.

If you do your own wrenching, give them a good cleaning when you rotate the tires, as it will be easier to scrub and clean them while they are laying flat.  I rotate mine every 6 months, and scrub them real good while they are off.

attachicon.gif20150620_152345.jpg

attachicon.gif20150614_174148.jpg

I've had the tires for 2 years and haven't applied any other tire dressings or Adam's yet because I wanted to get the tires clean first. I will try adding dawn soap next time and see if I get better results and will also apply VRT. I clean my wheels every wash I do.

I had my tires rotated once but had a shop do them which I regret because they used a impact drill and scratched my lug nuts :mad: ...but I want to take them off soon and thoroughly clean the wheels and tires and like you inside and out. Because of the beadlock rims it's hard to get the barrels and I haven't cleaned those ever  :( but I hope to protect them with some paint sealant and quick sealant.

Get some Stoners Tarminator (or similar) and spray a little on the tire while it is dry. Then wipe it off with a cheap microfiber: you may have to wipe fairly hard: also the microfiber will be junk, so use a cheap one. I believe mineral spirits will also work, but I never used that. I have used tarminator and it easily removed that brown junk that your tires have. In fact, my case was a good bit worse than yours.

You should be able to buy Stoners locally.

Lots of good suggestions, however, from experience, I'm telling you where the Deep wheel Cleaner ran the tire was striped of everything down to bare rubber.

That's what I'd done to this tire with the Stoner's brand Tarminator:

IMG_6873resize_zps2b63ad7a.jpg

Same with this tire:

IMG_7216cleantire_zpscuimmgtz.jpg

These tires were first scrubbed with APC and the Deep Scrub Tire Brush and rinsed, then sprayed with the Tarminator, and again scrubbed with Tarminator using the Deep Scrub Tire Brush, then rinsed well with clear water from my hose. Every brand tire will look a bit different, but they turn pretty brown when there's absolutely nothing on them, which is why I believe you have the brownish streaks Thomas.

Here's these same tires after an experimental Tire Coating was applied:

IMG_6876resize_zps00dac69d.jpg

IMG_7218coatedtire_zpshkf06obl.jpg

Notice how the brown was still visible on the Michelin? It took about three weeks for that to fade away, again there was a coating applied, not a dressing that would soak into the rubber. Every tire reacts a bit differently.

Good luck!

Edited by BRZN

There was no problem with mine, I was Beta Testing a product early last winter that didn't make the cut. I had to thoroughly clean the tire of everything; old dressings, mold release agents, tire bloom, etc before appling the coating. That's what clean, bare rubber looked like on those two brands/models of tires.

Thomas, Welcome Adams Forums.

The tires I run on my daily driver (Toyo Open Country ATII) a great all tire.    I never had tire blooming until the first time that I used Deep Wheel Cleaner.  My tires were solid brown.  I washed it with APC and applied SVRT (twice).  Now my tires are back to solid black.

Both my wife's and my tires still have the brown on them after a good cleaning. I just use a good coat of SVRT and after about an hour I wipe them with an old MF towel to dull down the sheen and help prevent sling. I noticed if I go all week without hitting a lot of dirt or rain I can just wash them with soap and they still look like they have the SVRT on them. I do a lighter coat in that case.

That does look awesome, how much did you use for that and how long did it STAY looking like that?

I spray the TS on the outer tread block, probably 5-6 full trigger pulls, then spread it with the Pro Tire Hex Grip and work it into the blocks. It stays looking like that for weeks, until it gets dirty from rain or road dust.