Customer Service 866.965.0400

H2O G&G Dry Method

TR6speed

Question

I have used the H2O G&G twice now and love the results, but the only problem I have is getting all the water out of the places that hold it, such as the mirrors, side marker lights, rear tail lights and so on.  I normally wash my car and then pull it into my garage so it is out of the sun and use my blower to get 99% of the water of of the surface and of course those spots I mentioned.  I then used a waffle towel and a little detail spray to remove the remainder of the water.

Here is my question, I have done it using the wet method, but on the dry method, I assume that is on a clean car, not a mildly dirty one.  My Corvette is not a daily driver so it does not get a bath every week, but maybe 2-3 weeks.  So If the car is just dusty should it still be washed prior to doing the dry method?  My other option would be to wash the car dry it as I have normally done and then go back and do the dry method even though there maybe a little water still on the surface.

9 answers to this question

If it's just dusty, I would probably either do a Waterless Wash or Detail Spray wipe down first, depending on how much dust is on the surface.

Also, one application of HGG should probably last you 2-3 months, especially if it's not a daily driver :)

Guest washemup

Yes you want to use HGG on clean paint only. A couple options for dealing with dust.

You can cover the car after it's washed.

Depending on how much dust has accumulated on the surface, you can also use a California duster if needed, before I get flamed for this, if you use one of these correctly, by just letting the tips lightly touch the paint, you can remove most all of the dust, and cause no marring to the clear coat, and then follow up with WW to get the rest.

^ I will let someone else rip you for the Cali duster, but in no way would that dirty mop touch my car no matter how you use it. If your car is just dusty and not dirty, waterless/rinseless wash or use detail spray,either would be perfect, or if you do not want to do that and weather permits, hose it off and dry it with a Master Blaster or a back pack blower.

When I had vettes I would normally wash 3 or 4 times a year, during driving season here in the northeast, and I would wipe it down with detail spray several times a week. And yes I would use a cali duster at times if it was just sitting and gathering garage dust, not road dust. Then every spring it would get a polish in the spring. I drove this one for 8 years and the paint looked better than new when i traded it in.

DSC_1772-L.jpg

DSC_0960-L.jpg

Edited by Bill-V8V

If you have a bit more dust or surface dirt than you are comfortable using a "spray and wipe" wash (Waterless, Detail Spray, diluted rinseless), toss 4-5 microfibers in a gallon of water in a bucket with 1/2 oz of Rinseless and do a GDWM and wash the car that way, its also much easier to incorporate G&G into the routine this way.

-Clean panel with dampened rinseless soaked towel, set towel aside (you have 8 sides so you can use a clean side on the next panel)

-Have damp towel ready and mist 2-3 sprays of G&G on the panel

-Wipe in the G&G with the damp towel (the one you did NOT clean the panel with) until the G&G is almost gone on the surface and only an extremely light amount of haze remains, you want to work it in, no pressure, not just spread it - this is key to avoiding streaks

-Take your waffle weave or plush towel (preferred) and give a final wipedown of the panel to remove any leftover haze and should be a fully glossy and streak free finish - I prefer to finish the glass with a waffle weave and the painted panels with a plush towel

^This is a very effective way to do the wet method of application year round, since you can do it mid winter in the garage, or on a rainy day if you are inside and not going anywhere that day for example.

Guest washemup

^ I will let someone else rip you for the Cali duster, but in no way would that dirty mop touch my car no matter how you use it. If your car is just dusty and not dirty, waterless/rinseless wash or use detail spray,either would be perfect, or if you do not want to do that and weather permits, hose it off and dry it with a Master Blaster or a back pack blower.

Any good product can be a bad product if used incorrectly. It's not a dirty mop unless you don't clean it after use. And if used correctly, is very efficient for garage dust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJxMHDi0C_8

Yes you want to use HGG on clean paint only. A couple options for dealing with dust.

You can cover the car after it's washed.

Depending on how much dust has accumulated on the surface, you can also use a California duster if needed, before I get flamed for this, if you use one of these correctly, by just letting the tips lightly touch the paint, you can remove most all of the dust, and cause no marring to the clear coat, and then follow up with WW to get the rest.

Don't listen to the others. Cali Car Duster is fine if you use proper technique. Very light, barely even touching the paint with the bristles, and it will lift the dust off. Barely anything touching the paint.

If you put it flat on your paint, you are destroying it.

Junkman has a great youtube vid on Cali Car Duster proper technique. Used properly. it's an effective tool.