Customer Service 866.965.0400

Polishing window tint?

chops1sc

Question

15 answers to this question

I would be hesitant to attempt polishing it as well.

I have never attempted to polish tint film (none of my vehicles right now to test this out), but if you do want to try, I would first clean it thoroughly with Adam's Glass Cleaner. Then polish a small test spot first with the softest foam applicator that you have (Red Hex is our softest foam) and Paint Finishing Polish by hand with very light pressure. This could end up making it more hazy. We used to offer Adam's Clear Polish for vinyl wraps and clear bra material that would probably be more suitable for this, but it was discontinued a few years back.

I guess the good thing is that if makes it worse from polishing, you can always have the tint removed and have new tint installed. 

Then polish a small test spot first with the softest foam applicator that you have (Red Hex is our softest foam) and Paint Finishing Polish by hand with very light pressure. ...We used to offer Adam's Clear Polish for vinyl wraps and clear bra material that would probably be more suitable for this, but it was discontinued a few years back.

I also would be hesitant to polish.

Maybe Revive polish instead of Paint Finishing polish?

Window film should have a scratch resistant layer on it as well - just thinking out loud but if you have swirling similar to swirling your clear coat you should take into account the type of towels using and products used to clean the glass as well as how much pressure when cleaning the glass.

I would follow-up any tint polishing with a razor blade and a fresh application of new window film! 

I'm not a polishing expert by any means, but in all seriousness I would advise against.  Try polishing the underside of a CD and see what happens.  While they aren't made of the same material, I would anticipate the 'plastic'/polycarbonate material to behave similarly.  

Every window tint is different. Some are more abrasion-resistant than others.

You can try heating the window film with a hair dryer, sometimes, the film will self-heal from minor scratches with heat.

In the future, always clean your interior windows with a microfiber towel of 300 to 350 gsm. If the towel has a hemmed edge, be sure not to let the hem scratch the film.

If you can get rid of the swirls on your film, I have a window tint shop in Columbia, SC that offers excellent window tint twith a high resistance to abrasion.