Customer Service 866.965.0400

Washing in between polishing stage

westajg

Question

So my garage where I started polishing my car(not my DD) gets very dusty after a few days. So far I've washed and clayed the car. I've been 2 step polishing with the PC during my spare time and sections at a time... I have a few sections of the car that are next to be polished that have a coat of polish dust and regular dust on top. It's kind of excessive, is it ok to wash the car and finish polishing? Or just wipe down as best as possible?

Edited by westajg

18 answers to this question

I respectfully disagree. I think it is important to work with a clean surface prior to polishing. If we are talking about dirt type of dust (as opposed to polish dust), there is no way I want that on my polishing pads as you risk grinding it into the paint which will work against you during correction.

I respectfully disagree. I think it is important to work with a clean surface prior to polishing. If we are talking about dirt type of dust (as opposed to polish dust), there is no way I want that on my polishing pads as you risk grinding it into the paint which will work against you during correction.

If it's dirt, I agree but all he said was dust

WW is your best friend for times as such!

Advanced emulsifiers and special lubricants make our Adam's Waterless Car Wash a safe and effective way to remove light surface dust and dirt without harming your clear coat. It's the perfect choice when your access to water is limited or you just want to conserve H20.

Your car doesn’t always need a full bath with soap and water. Light surface dust, finger prints, or other minor surface contamination can be easily and safely removed using Adam's Waterless Car Wash.  It saves water and it's quicker than a traditional wash as well! It also prolongs your wax or sealant life by using a less invasive method to clean, it can also be used in direct sunlight.

Spray Adam's Waterless Car Wash on moderately dirty finish, wipe clean with Adam's Waterless Wash Waffle Towels. Special lubricants and wetting agents encapsulate dirt, making it easy to clean the paint without damage and without water.

If it's dirt, I agree but all he said was dust

Wouldn't matter to me if it was magic fairy dust. I still think it should be a clean surface (whether you use a waterless wash method, full 2 bucket etc) prior to polishing. Simply wiping it with a dry microfiber as you suggest isn't the way I would approach it, but we all have our ways of approaching detailing :-)

I would use rinseless or waterless wash. If its just sitting in your garage and doesn't get alot of grime and larger dust particles, waterless or rinseless should do the trick. 

Thank you all... I've been using waterless wash as I get to each section. It's been working great.. but as I come to the last sections of the car, which have not been wiped in about 5 days the built up dust is a little more then light. Since you guys let me know it's not harmful but maybe a little overkill for a full wash, I am ok with the little extra work for peace of mind... so im going wash it and finish up maybe today or tomorrow... thank you all for the help... there's been a lot to learn with this being my first time detailing.

Edited by westajg

For light dust, Adam's Waterless Wash is perfect. If you want a slightly cheaper alternative, you can dilute Rinseless Wash 1:1 with water. Some have suggested 1:2 with water, but that's a bit thin for my taste. I feel you lose too much lubricity at 1:2 ratio.

Anyways, some sort of lubricant on the paint surface and always taking care to use each panel of your Waterless Wash microfiber only once will ensure no scratches come your way. And you'll always have a clean surface on which to correct.

Wow, that's some concentrated juice! To make "waterless" I've been diluting Rinseless Wash product 16:1 with distilled water. Seems to work great. (16 parts water with 1 part Rinsless Wash.)

For light dust, Adam's Waterless Wash is perfect. If you want a slightly cheaper alternative, you can dilute Rinseless Wash 1:1 with water. Some have suggested 1:2 with water, but that's a bit thin for my taste. I feel you lose too much lubricity at 1:2 ratio.

Anyways, some sort of lubricant on the paint surface and always taking care to use each panel of your Waterless Wash microfiber only once will ensure no scratches come your way. And you'll always have a clean surface on which to correct.

I apologize. I mean to say you can dilute Waterless Wash to 1:1 with water. 1:2 is too thin. 1:1 Rinsless Wash dilution would be VERY slippery indeed.