Customer Service 866.965.0400

Seeking advice for gallon pump leak prevention

butters

Question

I finally used up my 16oz car shampoo so I installed the pump in my gallon replacement, and put it to use. I really love the simplicity and speed of the pump, for filling my foam cannon as well as the bucket.

However, as I tidied up after a carwash I noticed that there was shampoo running down the gallon container, which had clearly dripped from the output end of the pump. I pulled up on the neck of the pump and found it was still compressed a little, so maybe that caused some of the leaking? This morning when I left my garage, I saw that there was more that had dripped though not as much as initially. Bummer.

Am I doing anything wrong, should I check the assembly of the pump, could there be pressure built up inside the gallon container?

13 answers to this question

I use the pump on the shampoo and might get a drop or two out of the spout after using it, but not much. I have much more leakage with the thinner RW. Maybe try tightening the small collar at the bottom of the stem.

To keep from getting leaks, and to prevent the product left in the spout from drying out, use some 3/8" vinyl caps as shown in this post:

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/27009-adamized-the-raptor/?p=428531

There will be product left in the spout. It's shape is horizontal to the ground with an angle down at the very end. Product will sit in this area. With the thinner products, simply tilt the gallon jug forward to drain the tip. Car Shampoo, by it's design, is thick and you can't drain the tip this way, it sits in the spout and will come out over time. After I pump the product out I sit the jug on a bench top in the garage with a paper towel positioned directly under the spout while I wash the car. When I clean up and put everything away I wipe the tip off and put the jug away on the shelf. Donegallon_pump_1_zps8trchlhn.png

Edited by BRZN

My pump on my car shampoo gallon leaks badly too. Made a huge mess the first time it happened, but now I just put a towel under the spout and it just drips onto that. I never put much thought into it til I saw this thread, but I like the cap idea.

There is a dispenser cap that I have for gallon containers which works well as a pour spot and closes when not in use for pouring - is the size of a standard cap too, so it doesn't take up more height on my shelf.

I think it was $1.50 - works much better than the pump IMO -

It looks similar to this, but not exact - mine has a bit more funneled shape on the pouring spout -

SH-FlipTop.jpg

I remeber Adam himself putting a apology post up pertaining to the new pump designs some time ago. I would give the team a call and see what they say maybe they fixed the issue or as usual will be more than willing to accommodate us addicts with our leaky pumpers.

I just got a few in the mail, both pumps I installed, one on a gallon of AP spray and one on a gallon of soap both leak. What I did was figured on the last pump to screw it down so it wouldn't return to the pump stroke and tilted it forward a few seconds. That seemed to work well, but with that being said you'd think they shouldn't leak at all.