Customer Service 866.965.0400

Is this salvageable???

mbzamg32

Question

I just got a cyclo with one of the forum members and im thinking about doing the 2 step correction on this car... But it looks like there is clear coat failure already. Any tips? Do you guys think this is clear coat failure? If it is what's the worst that could happen if i still go ahead and polish it? Besides a BIG waste of my time.post-14690-0-11670800-1470520767_thumb.jpegpost-14690-0-89416800-1470520785_thumb.jpegpost-14690-0-11670800-1470520767_thumb.jpeg

post-14690-0-37013000-1470520819_thumb.jpeg

12 answers to this question

Larry Kosilla had a video where he went after a spot similar to this. "whats the worst I can do?" It came out looking a little better.

^yep. I had this on a 30 year old Oldsmobile recently. It just comes out shinier but still has the same spots lol

Clear coat failure.

If you do attempt this, be diligent about residue management. You'll be pulling a LOT...I mean a LOT ​ of dead clear off, which will saturate your pad and it will stop cutting completely. If you don't manage it, you'll get heat buildup and likely trash your pads.

There are quite a few good videos out there on compound residue management. Educate yourself before attempting this, and have 5-8 compounding pads ready to go. You'll probably need all of them.

Good luck!

So this sounds like a lot of work... So I've decided to practice on my cousin's 2004 C230 thinking it will be easier. Well technically it is easier compared to the pics above but man the clear coat on an MB is tough!!! I used a MF pad about 4-5 passes then 2 passes of the PFP. I've only done a test panel and I've accomplished taking the swirls out completely but there are still some scratches. Any tips on how to take those out? Maybe more passes on the MF or use orange foam after MF? Or add pressure when doing passes? Appreciate all the help guys!!!

Oh btw these car is covered with swirls all through out the car. SMH!!!post-14690-0-61090500-1470649580_thumb.jpegpost-14690-0-30741100-1470649611_thumb.jpeg

Oh and really happy on how the engine bay turned out

post-14690-0-15057300-1470649738_thumb.jpeg

Clear coat failure.

If you do attempt this, be diligent about residue management. You'll be pulling a LOT...I mean a LOT ​ of dead clear off, which will saturate your pad and it will stop cutting completely. If you don't manage it, you'll get heat buildup and likely trash your pads.

There are quite a few good videos out there on compound residue management. Educate yourself before attempting this, and have 5-8 compounding pads ready to go. You'll probably need all of them.

Good luck!

^This - you could alternatively just go with 3000 grit wetsanding first in order to cut down on the amount of dead clear to remove -

But yes, be sure you aren't concerned with trashing a few pads - and they will be trashed working on that lol