Customer Service 866.965.0400

Black paint...let it swirl...?

PT3

Question

Hey guys....

I don't think I'm going to be 'good' at being so carful during regular washing.

So, what if I just go about my 'normal'...'non-black' procedures and precautions to prevent damage during washing. Then, simply accept that I'll need to do some paint correction from time to time.

Thoughts?

post-12257-0-72943900-1470809250_thumb.jpegpost-12257-0-80249000-1470809290_thumb.jpegpost-12257-0-09115900-1470809368_thumb.jpeg

post-12257-0-92249600-1470809419_thumb.jpeg

Edited by PT3

23 answers to this question

I would agree that a daily is never going to be perfect all the time. With that said I would think that with proper maintenance and a good starting point you can keep it good to very good rather easily. Will there be some small scratches and such sure, but nothing that you cant take out once or twice a year with a solid detail. 

Dirt doesn't scratch....rubbing it does. I don't wash my black car as often as I wash my others. Get bird poop and other crud off as soon as you can but you will go insane trying to keep a black daily driver in "just detailed" condition.

Multiple layers of protection will help in the maintenance and allow your wash pad and towels slide over the surface easier but as others have already stated, less touching is best.

Edited by Odds and Ends

When I had my black Colorado I didn't wash it as often, like Darryl said above. I polished it only once a year. After polishing and correcting the first time it seemed very easy and like it was just light polishing every time after that.

I still use the same routine for my truck now. 2 Bucket Wash, Foam Gun every time, upper and low wash pads.

Edited by Kingsford

Phil everyone is pretty much spot on - If you are constantly obsessing about keeping it dust free and doing wipedowns, those will make the swirls pop up a lot faster.  Do your GDWM washes and full bucket washes when you need, try to not touch it in between those washes, and try to not ever do "spray and wipe" washes on black.

You will most likely need to go over it yearly with at least the white Finishing Polish and your Cyclo - I'd call it the "yearly black vehicle maintenance" regimen -

Keep a good coat of Paint Sealant on there and whatever else you use to boost the protection in between - I'd stay away from traditional waxes on a daily driver as they do tend to attract dust, unlike polymer sealants.

I'd put a good ceramic coating on that mofo ASAP! Will it help keep 100% of swirls away.....nope, but it'll help substantially coupled with proper washing techniques. Sadly adams doesn't offer one yet, but there are quite a few user friendly coatings out there for newbs and the protection is incredible. Just google search. 

Edited by suke

Thanks guys!

I think you missed my initial point.... I CAN'T help but to keep her clean on a very regular basis. So far I've probably wiped her down 10-15 times (not always full wipes) in the past month.

I'm not convinced the ceramic coating is worth the price. So I've been hitting it with G&G. I'll likely start hitting panels with the LPS

To O.P.

What wash method are you using? Perhaps a rinsless wash (GDWM for example) with a lot of towels is the best option. This was your are not introducing dirt back to the paint.

Whenever I wash I use the GDWM with several towels. Unless I hit some rain, then I always power wash rinse, then proceed to GDWM.

And if I really hit serious weather I do a full bucket wash.

Otherwise, I'll do little spray and wipe 'sessions' in between washes to keep her on point

Whenever I wash I use the GDWM with several towels. Unless I hit some rain, then I always power wash rinse, then proceed to GDWM.

And if I really hit serious weather I do a full bucket wash.

Otherwise, I'll do little spray and wipe 'sessions' in between washes to keep her on point

In italics is a perfectly fine regimen - continue doing it.

In non-italics is where you are getting your micromarring - you need to eliminate the wipedowns in between GDWM washes or traditional washes.

Thanks guys!

I think you missed my initial point.... I CAN'T help but to keep her clean on a very regular basis. So far I've probably wiped her down 10-15 times (not always full wipes) in the past month.

I'm not convinced the ceramic coating is worth the price. So I've been hitting it with G&G. I'll likely start hitting panels with the LPS

Hold up there professor. You drive a Porsche yet don't think a ceramic coating is worth the price?  :huh:   A good one costs like what.....$80 for the kit.  Especially if it'll save you from having to polish a black car as often? Def do some research then, it'll save you a world of headache. :)

Hold up there professor. You drive a Porsche yet don't think a ceramic coating is worth the price?  :huh:   A good one costs like what.....$80 for the kit.  Especially if it'll save you from having to polish a black car as often? Def do some research then, it'll save you a world of headache. :)

Lol. Just because I have expensive cars, doesn't mean I don't value every dollar and evaluate the cost/benefit justification.

Less contact is better, I know the urge and feeling you get when you just want to do a touch up, but on black paint you just can't do it.

Less contact is better, I know the urge and feeling you get when you just want to do a touch up, but on black paint you just can't do it.

In italics is a perfectly fine regimen - continue doing it.

In non-italics is where you are getting your micromarring - you need to eliminate the wipedowns in between GDWM washes or traditional washes.

I don't think I'll be able to eliminate my mid-wash wipe-downs. Lol.

Thanks guys!

I know I get your point, my Vette is black and it gets some kind of wash (2 bucket, rinse less or waterless) every time I drive it. I can't imagine trying to take care of a daily like that!

Lol. Just because I have expensive cars, doesn't mean I don't value every dollar and evaluate the cost/benefit justification.

I hear ya. I don't have the time anymore to spend hours out in the garage polishing. If I do it's normally on clients cars, so mine get "neglected". I can't stand them being swirled up and coatings have been my life saver. Make washing a breeze. After a foam cannon spray and rinse down before 2 bucket wash, there isn't really any visible dirt/dust left on them. So a quick foam again and 2 bucket wash makes quick work of clean ups with limited chances to induce swirls/RIDS.

I own a black car, and I love the just-detailed look. With black cars, it's ALL about prep and protection.

Here's what I do to keep it in tip-top shape.

1. Strip it down to the bare paint using best techniques outlined by Dylan and Adam's videos.
  2. Apply two coats of sealant.
  3. Apply two coats of Americana
  4. Quick wash with Rinseless (There is no such thing as a "Wipe Down" on a black car. The sooner you realize this, the less pain you'll endure)
  5. Full wash once or twice a month, follow up with G&G to maintain protection.

This provides about 6 months of excellent protection, 9 months if garaged regularly.

I own a black car, and I love the just-detailed look. With black cars, it's ALL about prep and protection.

Here's what I do to keep it in tip-top shape.

1. Strip it down to the bare paint using best techniques outlined by Dylan and Adam's videos.
  2. Apply two coats of sealant.
  3. Apply two coats of Americana
  4. Quick wash with Rinseless (There is no such thing as a "Wipe Down" on a black car. The sooner you realize this, the less pain you'll endure)
  5. Full wash once or twice a month, follow up with G&G to maintain protection.

This provides about 6 months of excellent protection, 9 months if garaged regularly.

Gotcha. Thanks bud!  Here's what was done:

Clay bar

Bucket wash

G&G

I expect to do a LPS soon.

My wife has a black car on the days it is not raining the dust is an issue, everything here starts with a wash so no interim process, having machine polished a test section with the right combination that is my way forward. As a new customer to Adams products currently using Sonax detailer, winter is coming so as mentioned the less actual touching the better.

Am in the process of looking for another car, would I buy another Black one....possibly.

Some great information here.

Thanks John.