Customer Service 866.965.0400

Sticky Dash...What to use?

gunnybadger

Question

So, I was out of town for work this week and took my truck to a "detailer" to be cleaned. Really I wanted the exterior and wheels cleaned and the inside vacuumed; however, they also wiped down my dash and other interior plastic/leather with something...no clue what it was.

At first I thought it was me; I work in the petroleum/oil/lubricant world and was working with oil all day that day. I cleaned my hands and arms well before getting in my getting my truck, but lets be realistic oil will seep into your skin a bit and due to the heat I thought it was making me stick to my console top/door interior. Then I went to grab my sensor for the FASTRAK/HOV lane off the dash and as soon as my hand touched my dash I realized it was super sticky, like an adhesive was covering my dash...I was p!$$ed, but already left town. 

Question - Do you think the Interior Detailer has a strong enough detergent in it to remove this sticky mess and protect my dash or is there something else I should use to clean up the mess and then go over it with the Interior Detailer?  

I really wish I could say what they wiped my interior down with to help make an informed decision, but I don't have a clue. Lesson learned though...

Thank you. 

~Shane

15 answers to this question

I would try APC diluted 4 parts distilled water to 1 part APC.  That is a pretty mild cleaner, but is safe for interiors, and has some degreasers in it.  Spray it on a MF utility towel and wipe the dash.

Awesome, thank you. I must have overlooked the APC while browsing all the products. I will give that a shot!

I agree on the APC. I actually have used it on my inner door panels at full strength to remove old built up crap. Sometimes the old coating will actually dry and turn a white haze after a long time of sun. But as mc2 said, start with a diluted version and see how it goes. 

Test in a small, inconspicuous place regardless of what you try.

If the 'detailer' used something with a heavy solvent in it there is a chance it isn't a product that is making it sticky, but the actual laminate layer of the dash itself thats sticky - softened by the chemical they used. An aggressive cleaner will only make matters worse if thats the case.

Test in a small, inconspicuous place regardless of what you try.

If the 'detailer' used something with a heavy solvent in it there is a chance it isn't a product that is making it sticky, but the actual laminate layer of the dash itself thats sticky - softened by the chemical they used. An aggressive cleaner will only make matters worse if thats the case.

I was thinking the same thing DVK! I'd be very careful trying to scrub anything on your dash until you know exactly what is going on there.

A small update here, for anyone that cares; the stickiness is still there and I was mistaken when I blamed the detailer I took it to. However, I did not go back and get irate with them or anything. 

Anyways, from what I've come across it is actually the plastic "gassing out" and is purging something that was used in the manufacturing process. Now I am not a plastics expert, nor do I know anything about plastic gassing out, but I guess it's feasible. None the less, it hasn't gone away, but it has subsided.

I have a sneaky suspicion that sometime in the future I will be getting a recall notice for them to fix the dash.  

Out-gassing (aka off-gassing) of various materials is actually somewhat common. Enough that in many cases it is an indoor air quality issue. 

Some of the often times difficult to remove "film" on interior glass is the result of out-gassing.

"New car smell" anyone?   :D

This process of plastics off gassing is actually what creates that new car smell in new cars.

Don't know what you have but do a quick google search for Lexus dash melting. A known, historical problem with some early 2000's Lexus, the dash coating would start to get very tacky and would progress in severity from there to the point you couldn't slide a rag across it. It was a flipping mess.