Customer Service 866.965.0400

Proper order for perfect paint

Ekim716

Question

Hey guys, still new to Adams's products but I have been doing a lot of research on the vast amount of products and watching a ton of videos on how to use them. Ordered some stuff now but I am planning to start using everything after the snow flies in the spring to get the exterior looking great again. I have a new jeep, black paint and wheels. I was wondering if you guys can help me on figuring out the order to apply different products to properly layer them for maximum protection and gloss. The following are the products I believe I will end up using.

Wash with Car Shampoo/Wash & Wax

Clay

Liquid paint seal 

Hand Polish

(Optional) Glaze

Wax (Buttery or Americana)

Does this seem right to you guys? Would you change or add anything else? Also, this is a DD but I am very particular over it, love making the black paint look like you can swim in it.

Thanks!

9 answers to this question

Couple things. If you're applying Paint Sealant, you'll want to either use Strip Wash or Car Shampoo with APC for your initial wash. Then clay. Then polish. Then apply Paint Sealant.

There's variations but the general gist should be something like this.

Strip Wash

Clay

Polish

Strip Wash or wash again to remove polishing oils

(Some people apply brilliant glaze here because it has fillers)

Liquid Paint Sealant

HGG or Wax or Both 

I am with Dustin, but feel there is no need to wash a 2nd time when using Adam's Revive Hand Polish.  It works as a paint cleaner, and you should be ready to go to BG, then PS.  

To me adding a 2nd layer of protection immediately is a little bit of over kill.  Give it a few washes before you 'rub on the paint' again.  :D

So the paint sealant is basically last to apply? I only ask this because I've heard other people apply it before anything else because its the most durable of all the products being applied.

I am with Chris with the recommendation of doing trim before doing any polishing or sealing. I tried the dry method application on the trim using H2O on a buddies truck and it worked just as well as the VRT