Customer Service 866.965.0400

Towels!

Jrosacker

Question

New to detailing, I'm 17 and trying to start a small business, what towels do I absolutely need to start off? Trying not to spend ALL my money lol, but I refuse to use crappy towels on other people's cars.

-detail spray

-h20 guard and gloss

-leather and interior cleaner

-Leather conditioner

-Tire shine

14 answers to this question

Starting out will be tough, There are a few bulk options offered, 

Utility Towels, Single Softs, Double Softs, Great white drying towel

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/accessories/microfiber-towels/adam-s-microfiber-bundle.html

Single, Double, and Triple the Fluffy pack

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/accessories/microfiber-towels/adam-s-best-microfiber-detailing-towels.html

Most of the others ar sold in large quantities when you look at the item. Personally I use a bunch of the borderless towels for my general use stuff. a bit cheaper, still nice and plush and can handle many tasks, I will use singles and doubles when doing final polish and touch up work. 

I know it always seems like you want to start slow and with putting out less funds but if at all possible the Kits that Adams have are a bargain. Not to take away from anything but I started the same way and within a few months I had a bunch of separate orders. I could have save a lot by purchasing the items in kit forms. Just a thought that I figured I would pass along.

As for towels at the least I would get 2 Great White drying Towels, A couple Single Soft and maybe a Double soft. Adams towels are second to none. As you can see the price adds up quick so the Adams Micro Fiber Bundle is a great deal.

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/accessories/microfiber-towels/adam-s-microfiber-bundle.html

Edited by BluedogGMC

Hi Jaden! Very cool to hear that you're ready to start a business at your age.

Especially if starting a business, you can never have enough towels. For Detail Spray and H2O Guard, you could use the Single Soft or Borderless Gray Towels, a 6-pack of each is $39.99 before discounts, and that would be a good start. Both are very soft and will not scratch if cared for properly. We recommend dedicated towels for H2O Guard, specifically the Borderless Gray, since the chemical can stain the white towels somewhat and some people don't like that. For higher-end vehicles or vehicles with a very delicate clear coat, I will use the Double Soft or Triple Soft Towels for Detail Spray wipe-downs.

For Leather & Interior Cleaner, our Edgeless Utility Towels or Cockpit Brush will work best for most scenarios. The tight weave pattern of the Edgeless Utility Towel is soft but helps in scrubbing dirt away more easily on textured interior surfaces. 

For Leather Conditioner, it is best applied with our red foam Premium Interior Dressing Applicators since it is a thick cream. If unwanted levels of shine are still on the surfaces after applying, you can buff them down some with a Single Soft or Borderless Gray Towel.

For Tire Shine, there's no towel really necessary for this product. Applying it with the VRT Block Applicator or Pro Tire Hex Grip Applicator should level it off nice and even.

The Blue Plush Waffle Towels are a great utility towel that can be used for many uses, but they are a bit less soft than our other towels, hence the reduced price. So on delicate finishes there is a slight chance that they could cause light marring, swirls, etc. Always test them in a small spot first to make sure you will not have any issues.

Lastly, you didn't mention it, but the Microfiber Bundle that Dustin and Ron mentioned above also comes with one of our large Great White Drying Towels for drying vehicles. It's a waffle weave towel that is very absorbent that works awesome for drying a vehicle.

Sweet thanks guys! Definitely going to be treacking my progress of detailing on this forum. But I'm a bit confused on a lot of stuff so many questions will be asked!

You in the right place. You can get help just about anytime here on the forum. Also watch the video's over end over. they help a lot.

Also, once you do pick up some towels, only wash them in detergent without perfumes or colors. Also, NO fabric softener! Pick up some Microfiber Revitalizer to help with the cleaning, too. http://adamspolishes.com/shop/accessories/microfiber-towels/adam-s-microfiber-revitalizer-brightener.html

Also pick up some warehouse club MF towels and some cotton terry 'gym size' towels.  The MF towels are good for interiors, engine bays, etc. (but NOT paint!).  The cotton towels are great for cleaning carpets. 

No reason to trash your nice Adam's towels on those jobs.

Just as important as the towels themselves is storage of your towels. My towels live in the most sterile environment possible. They are sealed tightly in a clean, plastic tote. I'm also very particular about moving them from the dryer to the storage bin. I make sure the folding surface is very clean before a towel touches it. The comments above about the washing process are very accurate. Don't let the towels get washed with anything other than other microfiber towels.

Additionally, I classify my towels in 3 basic categories:

Premium- double soft towels, only used for polishing, waxing. Never anything else.

General use- good, clean towels for anything other than polishing perfect paint.

Heavy duty- used for the dirty work. These are old towels that are on their way out, but maybe still good for a select few things, like metal polishing. I also keep a pack or two of the of-the-shelf, cheap towels from the store. These are pretty much a 1-time use thing for heavy duty work. As my towels get older, they tend to downgrade premium >> general use >> heavy duty >> trash can.