Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cleaning hand polish applicators

xlr8rvette

Question

17 answers to this question

Microfiber detergent (revitalizer) diluted 1:3 works the best - the APC doesnt touch polishing pads, VRT blocks, or hand applicators in my experience

Really? No APC on those applicators for you? That's what I always use. Is that not good?

Really? No APC on those applicators for you? That's what I always use. Is that not good?

Its fine but its not as strong as what I referenced, doesn't get as much of the gunk and grime out, and uses more product that is already expensive at $30 a gallon -

With the diluted 3:1 MFR mix I can literally get all the black tire ooze out of my VRT applicators and besides being discolored they are like new -

The ultimate test I did recently was that my toothbrush I use to clean the slides and barrels of my firearms was black from carbon and normal APC didn't really do that much, bristles were still black - a couple squirts of that 3:1 MFR mixture and it was white bristles again -

Try it on your fender brush, with the white bristles you'll be amazed at what comes off that brush that the APC wouldn't get -

Its fine but its not as strong as what I referenced, doesn't get as much of the gunk and grime out, and uses more product that is already expensive at $30 a gallon -

With the diluted 3:1 MFR mix I can literally get all the black tire ooze out of my VRT applicators and besides being discolored they are like new -

The ultimate test I did recently was that my toothbrush I use to clean the slides and barrels of my firearms was black from carbon and normal APC didn't really do that much, bristles were still black - a couple squirts of that 3:1 MFR mixture and it was white bristles again -

Try it on your fender brush, with the white bristles you'll be amazed at what comes off that brush that the APC wouldn't get -

Wow. Good feedback. Thanks for the explanation. 

How often should I be cleaning my applicators, or personal preference? And how should I be storing them when they have product on them, been using a labled plastic bag. Thanks

I clean my after every use, just to be safe. Doesn't take too much time, and as others have suggested, we all spend a lot of money on products and applicators - only makes sense to make sure they're taken care of. I keep mine in labeled plastic bags, as well. Just make sure the applicators is completely dry. You don't want to get mold on your applicators. Same with towels. 

Would you use MFR or APC for the wax hex applicators too? I've been rinsing these out under hot water and working the excessive wax out and then hitting the hex applicator pad with APC for a final cleaning.

Edited by jeverton