Customer Service 866.965.0400

Product Education--Pad/Polish Selection...Replace M205

galaxy

Question

So I'm not new to Adam's nor new to polishing/paint correction, but I like trying new stuff, so I have a couple questions to pick the right products.  I haven't messed with any of the paint care stuff yet, but it's already become my sole interior products. 

Meguiars 205 has slowly and steadily (and quite dependably) replaced just about every polish product in my cabinet.  It's the last man standing.  This on a Lake Country white (or black; depending on the job), 99.9% of the time leaves the vehicles I work on (mainly mine) completely flawless and LSP ready.  However, as my '02 truck ages, I wonder if even annual M205 jobs are too aggressive to just touch up and perfectly refine the paint/finish. So my questions are... 

How does Adam's Finishing Polish stack up or compare to M205?

I know Adam's has the color coordinated thing going on with the pads, and I'm not trying to outthink the system here, but what's a good way if I want to convert over to Adam's and get where I've been with the M205?  What's the Adam's counterparts to the LC white and black pads?  Does white LC = white Adam's?

Is heaving correcting compound or the correcting polish equivalent to Meguiars 105?

Which pad for nice LSP machine application, red or grey?

Thanks guys.

Edited by galaxy

10 answers to this question

I'll only address what I know: use the grey pad for LPS. However, I understand the red is really close, so I believe you could use the red for LPS, too.

I will ask, though, what white LC do you mean? Adam's LC is orange and many use the red applicator pads to apply it. The white pads are for the Finishing Polish.

His use of "L.C." was auto-filling in for Leather Conditioner, since that is one of our quick acronyms on this forum.

You would want to use our 5.5" White Foam Pad with our White Finishing Polish. As Trevor mentions, it is a diminishing abrasive polish just like our Correcting Polish and Heavy Correcting Compound, but it is not designed to have cutting strength like either of those two products. In other words, it is the last step you would take to get a surface as polished and flawless as possible, but it is not going to remove heavier swirl marks and scratches.

For swirl and scratch correction, our Orange Correcting Polish with a 5.5" Orange Foam Pad will fix and remove the majority of swirl marks on various finishes. It can be used as a one-step machine polish in some instances, finishing down to a near perfect result, but if I'm truly trying to achieve the best shine and results as possible, I will follow it up with our White Finishing Polish and the White Foam Pad.

So I'm not new to Adam's nor new to polishing/paint correction, but I like trying new stuff, so I have a couple questions to pick the right products.  I haven't messed with any of the paint care stuff yet, but it's already become my sole interior products. 

Meguiars 205 has slowly and steadily (and quite dependably) replaced just about every polish product in my cabinet.  It's the last man standing.  This on a Lake Country white (or black; depending on the job), 99.9% of the time leaves the vehicles I work on (mainly mine) completely flawless and LSP ready.  However, as my '02 truck ages, I wonder if even annual M205 jobs are too aggressive to just touch up and perfectly refine the paint/finish. So my questions are... 

How does Adam's Finishing Polish stack up or compare to M205?

I know Adam's has the color coordinated thing going on with the pads, and I'm not trying to outthink the system here, but what's a good way if I want to convert over to Adam's and get where I've been with the M205?  What's the Adam's counterparts to the LC white and black pads?  Does white LC = white Adam's?

Is heaving correcting compound or the correcting polish equivalent to Meguiars 105?

Which pad for nice LSP machine application, red or grey?

Thanks guys.

Adam's finishing polish is less aggressive than M205 not by a lot but it is.  I've tried both.  You mentioned that you're looking for something less aggressive, then give the Adam's Finishing Polish a try.  

I think leather conditioner coming from using lc in capitals for Lake Country...a brand of pad.

I'm not touching the "heaving correcting compound" on a bet.

Oh lord...spell check. Leather conditioner should have been Lake Country.

His use of "L.C." was auto-filling in for Leather Conditioner, since that is one of our quick acronyms on this forum.

That makes a lot more sense, thanks, despite the forum moderator's best efforts! But "heaving correcting compound" is detailing on a whole other level.  :lolsmack:

I take it the heavy correcting compound would be for some serious paint correction or flaw removal??

Thanks Dan. And since the Adam's are diminishing products, they have to be worked a bit and not just a pass or two to see the desired result, correct?

M205 is probably the best all around polish on the market today - I own both and they each have their place but unless you are just looking to be OCD and have all one brand do not replace it, its a great and extremely versatile product

205 is fine for yearly touchups, but I would be doing short section passes as 205 is SMAT as you know and inspecting your work, and using a finishing foam pad like Adams white -

105 cuts more than the Orange polish and faster, the revised formula does not dust if used properly (i.e. don't overuse it) - the Orange polish is a great in between, cuts less than 105 but finishes better than 105 does in most cases - haven't used the Blue yet but assuming its on a similar cutting level but all Adam's polishes are DAT as far as I know so 2 different types of products -

Edited by Ricky Bobby