Customer Service 866.965.0400

GMC textured plastic wax residue

Laid GP

Question

16 answers to this question

The heat gun has the potential to be a "Just before disaster struck I was thinking I really shouldn't be doing this!". :(:D

I don't disagree with you. It's not the tool I would choose personally. The steamer is my go-to. I'm fortunate enough to have one to use though and know that's not the case for everyone. With a heat gun there is a very fine line of fixing the problem and creating another one. While it may work, it comes with high risk.

I assume most of you fine gentlemen don't use hair dryers. :) Therefore from experience, let me tell you most can get pretty hot. I would think plenty hot to melt wax.

I agree with Joel's comment above. Chad, if you are going with heat to attempt removal, try hair dryer before heat gun. Least aggressive approach first, right?

Edited by 8675309Maro

While I agree with what has already been said and cautioned about, if APC and/or Tire & Rubber cleaner hasn't taken it off, then there is a good possibility it isn't wax. Those two methods almost always work for me and I've seen some pretty bad examples roll through my shop.

The best way to attack something like this is to know what it is in the first place. Many chemicals can affect/destroy ABS plastic, so proceed with caution. A toothbrush or nail brush does wonders when used with the aforementioned cleaners....lots more effective than a towel. I'll use an old wash cloth if I need more "bite" than a microfiber towel provides.

For the record, I agree with all concerns above on the heat gun and was not advocating for it. I was only thinking out loud...which usually gets me in trouble.

Happy to hear the least aggressive method prevailed, yet again.

P.S. Post #300!  :banana:

Edited by falcaineer