Customer Service 866.965.0400

Glass Sealant, I did something wrong!

BrianT

Question

Let me start off by saying I've used GLass Sealant on my 03Ram, 68 Firebird, and 07 Jeep GC with no issue at all and on all the windows! This past fall, Sept/Oct. the Durango got a new factory Mopar windshield to replace a broken one. All the windows on the Durango at the time of the replacement were sealed. All the windows bead up like crazy, except the windshield. The windshield is almost to the point where you can't see where your going in snowy or rainy weather with oncoming traffic! (This is the wife's kid hauler). Nothing beads up and it's blotchy and runny if that makes sense. Ive tried Adam's glass cleaner, W brand, vinegar, and every type of towel to try and fix the issue. I have NOT tried adding another coat of sealant as I'm afraid of making it worse(I'm not saying it's the sealants fault, but I figured getting it back to square one is the direction I should go) Any ideas would be great, thanks!!

15 answers to this question

How did you treat the window prior to application? That could be part of the problem,

also how much have you used the wipers and or the washer fluid?

Have you had to scrape the window a lot? 

I would think all those could lead to or cause problems. 

The windshield was only cleaned with Adam's glass cleaner prior to sealant. The issue according to the wife has been like this since I did it. The Durango only sees about 6,000 miles a year and is garage kept. I've been driving it on the weekends trying to figure this out. I've been using the washer fluid to see if that's helps/makes it worse. It hasn't changed a thing. I can see the vertical wipe marks from applying the sealant, but you can't see the horizontal ones???

Here's what I would do.  I'd use blue Dawn on a wet rag/cloth and wash it down and clay it.  Rinse with clean water. Then I would clean the windshield real well with your product of choice just to make sure you've removed all of the clay and residue. THEN seal it.  You have to remove whatever it is you have on there now before resealing it.  The glass sealant is good stuff.  

Sounds like there was something of a film on it. I had an issue for the longest time with an oily residue on my front glass. Took until I got out the #0000 steel wool until it was gone. Mine would look clean until you came out in the morning you would see condensation where the wipers didnt go, and the rest would look ok. Now clean and sealed, 4 months into this coating and its still going strong. 

My GF's '17 explorer needed new windshield. Had a similar situation, when it came home I sealed it right away. Driving it in the rain was terrible a few weeks ago and she says its been this way since the new glass was installed. So even with the coating of sealant I applied it just didn't take. After a clay and reapplication of sealant it's great. I'll be using BG inside and out before the next application though.

Thanks guys! Question about clay, does it need to be a certain temperature outside or will you get good results in the 30-40 degree range?

Bring it inside before you start to get it to room temp, and then knead it with your hands to soften it up.  Keep kneading it while you're working with it to keep it from getting stiff. It is most effective when it's soft and pliable.

UPDATE

I cleaned the windshield today! 51 degrees outside

Cleaned windshield with brand "W" (why waste Adam's) it was pretty dirty

Clayed twice cleaning in between

0000 steal wool vertical and horizontal directions.

Clean it again. I thought it would be best to do the clay first as not to contaminate the clay with steel wool particles.

Windshield was perfect, couldn't see anything on the outside, but could see the inside was a bit foggy. Now here is where things get interesting... As soon as I put the towel on the glass and wiped, I could see exactly what I see during a rain storm. I wiped the windshield again and then ran my thumb nail over it to see what would happen. Well to my surprise, my nail took what ever was on the shield off. I tried to use GC to get the stuff off and it wouldn't touch it, so I clayed and clayed the inside of the windshield until I couldn't see anything left. If you think cleaning the inside of the windshield is tough, try claying it without getting the dash wet!!

So the windshield is completely clean (I hope) inside and out! It's going to rain this week, so the wife is going to report back!

Okay, now how come the only time I could see these wipe marks for a lack of a better term only when using the windshield wipers???