Customer Service 866.965.0400

Need alitle guidance on start to finish process

Chadley

Question

This will be my first time to correct my truck's paint. 2006 Black Dodge Ram, daily driver, lives outside 100% of the time.

I think I've done my homework but would appreciate your feed back and suggestions.

The plan in order:

2 Bucket wash using car shampoo

Clay bar with detail spray

Swirl killer w/Correcting Polish

Swirl killer w/Finishing Polish

Revive Hand polish

Swirl killer w/ Paint sealant

New Ceramic boost

What did I miss, or what would you recommend? Can I use the Correcting polish on my headlight lens?

20 answers to this question

I would use strip wash if you have it. If not add some APC to the car wash solution. I also like to do iron decontamination prior to the strip wash using wheel cleaner. Being black you won't see the color change but 5 minutes should be a good dwell time.

I'd also skip the revive hand polish unless it is only planned for the area that the SK can't reach.

The headlights can be corrected but depending on severity , may not give you the results you desire. Wet sanding would be better if they are in rough shape.

Make sure to take pictures.

Edited by SumBeach35

This will be my first time to correct my truck's paint. 2006 Black Dodge Ram, daily driver, lives outside 100% of the time.

I think I've done my homework but would appreciate your feed back and suggestions.

The plan in order:

2 Bucket wash using car shampoo

Clay bar with detail spray

Swirl killer w/Correcting Polish

Swirl killer w/Finishing Polish

Revive Hand polish

Swirl killer w/ Paint sealant

New Ceramic boost

What did I miss, or what would you recommend? Can I use the Correcting polish on my headlight lens?

If you don't have All Purpose Cleaner to use in the wash bucket, it isn't a deal breaker as you are going to clay after washing, and polishing will remove any "old" product that may have been on the truck.

You will not need the Revive Hand Polish, and the Correcting and Finishing Polishes should get the vehicle corrected and very shiny by themselves, and the Swirl Killer should cover and take care of any of the panels and areas of your Ram.

You can also use Correcting Polish  on the headlights, and also Finishing Polish and then apply the Paint Sealant to them too to keep them shiny and protected.

Just remember that being black, it may take a few passes to get the finish in the condition you want it to be.

Take your time, but the results will be well worthwhile! 

Revive hand polish is completely unnecessary, if you're finish is pad get the heavy compound and microfiber pad, if not then use correcting polish, if you want the finish to shine more use finishing polish, but it probably isn't worth it on daily drivers. No need the wipe off between polishes but after polish wipe before applying ceramic boost, or as I would recommend paint sealant or a ceramic coating.

And YES! After polishing you NEED to apply a wax or sealant or coating, no need and I would not recommend washing. Just buff off the residue.

Edited by Nathan

Several have suggested an alcohol wipe down after the polish, but using the Revive Hand Polish does the same thing.  The 'polishing' part of Revive is done with chemicals, not abrasives, so it is a great paint cleaner.  It is great for non-metallic dark colors.

Wow! thanks, great guidance and suggestions everyone.

If I read everyone correctly the general consensus is:

I should use a strip wash

I do not need Revive or wax between the finishing polish and the paint sealant. Is this where I should do the alcohol rub instead?

Since my head light are in bad shape I should wet sand first? (I'll have to study on this, not sure how)

I will be posting pictures - most likely next weekend, we should be back in the 80s by then.

Several have suggested an alcohol wipe down after the polish, but using the Revive Hand Polish does the same thing.  The 'polishing' part of Revive is done with chemicals, not abrasives, so it is a great paint cleaner.  It is great for non-metallic dark colors.

Revive sure is a great paint cleaner! 

I lean heavily towards using IPA after the last polish...even Revive Polish. It is a rather fast and easy. IPA with a white towel often times will reveal the freshly polished surface has residual polish on it. 

Agreed with iso wipe down between polish and seal. A 50/50 solution with the blue waffle towel works great.

Couple other points...

- Recommend you VRT the trim after the strip wash, before you start polishing. It'll make removing any polish or sealant you get on the trim super easy at the end, then touch up the trim at the very end, too.

- Also, you don't necessarily have to use the boost (or HGG, being my preference) right after you seal. The sealant will look great on its own for a daily. Applying the boost/HGG every 3-4 washes, or even every couple months would be sufficient.

Edited by falcaineer

Okay, revised plan

Strip wash

clay bar

VRT

correcting polish

finishing polish

ISO wipe down

Paint sealant

?__________? I want as much shine as I can get. So what goes here?

after watching Adam's video on layering I'm trying to choose between Brilliant glaze or the New Ceramic Boost.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/GMhuxowbakg"

Edited by Chadley

Quite a few people will suggest brilliant glaze then paint sealant. Sealant will lock in the glaze.

After sealant, there are a lot of options depending on what you have available. Some will say a layer of wax like Patriot or Americana then at next wash apply H2O Gaurd and gloss.

I would say after sealant apply wax like Patriot or Americana then top with ceramic boost.

Not sure how I missed it, but would add not to forget about doing your wheels and tires. TRC and WC are awesome products, but depending on condition or product availability, APC and CS can work in their place, respectively. Like many others, I like to do the wheels and tires at the beginning. Assuming you aren't coating them, you can apply PS to your wheels for added protection when you're on that step for the rest of the car.

Finally got started yesterday. Not enough day light to complete the whole truck on ly the hood and front quarter panels

Strip wash

clay bar with Chocolate mint Detail spray ( smelled great, but I like the original better)

wheels and wheel wells / Vrt & in-out spray

Correcting polish - Microfiber pad

Correcting polish - orange foam pad

Finishing polish - White foam pad

Alcohol wipe down - the shine after this was crazy, really impressed me!

Revive hand polish

LPS

Brillant glaze

Hood%20Before_zpsd4o0mgr1.jpg

Hood%20After_zpscusagqa2.jpg

Thanks everyone for all the advise. I haven't figured out the best way to photograph the paint before and after yet but I still have over half the truck left to do - updates to follow.