Customer Service 866.965.0400

First timer polisher here with questions!

MrRaspberryJam

Question

Just received my swirl killer today and super stoked! I've watched all the videos numerous times but I'm still nervous about really polishing my first time. Really the main reason I'm here is to see what advice and/or tips veteran polishers can give me to help me get started! I picked up the basic kit that came with the compound and correcting polish along with the corresponding pads (will be ordering the finishing polish soon).

Anyway, super thankful for whatever my fellow Adam followers give me!

22 answers to this question

Don't rush and make sure that if you are holding the polisher one spot for a long time, make sure you check the heat of the panel so you don't burn through. If you get the blue foam pad skip it, you don't need it. The heavy compound cuts so fast with the microfiber pad use that, leave the polish on and finish with orange pad with correcting polish. Remember, you might only get 90% correction, it doesn't need to be 100%. Remember the least aggressive method first, cord over the shoulder, and do test sections. Use blue tape for before and after pictures. :thumbsup:

And remember make sure you add protection after, because it will be bare clear coat, I would recommend a coating or sealant but wax would work too.

Edited by Nathan

I'm by far not an expert, but I agree with the tried and true "least aggressive method first" mantra. That's followed closely by "don't polish angry."

If you get the blue foam pad skip it, you don't need it. The heavy compound cuts so fast with the microfiber pad use that, leave the polish on and finish with orange pad with correcting polish. Remember, you might only get 90% correction, it doesn't need to be 100%. Remember the least aggressive method first...

Nathan gives some good tips, but while I may be misreading the post above, I'll offer a couple caveats to it: the blue foam pad is less aggressive than the blue and white microfiber, and CP is less aggressive than the HCC. So to follow least aggressive first for what you may currently have: 1) CP with orange foam pad, 2) HCC with blue foam pad, 3) HCC with blue and white microfiber pad. When you get the FP with white foam pad, that will be #1 (i.e. least aggressive).

Overall, have a blast!

Edited by falcaineer

It's easiest to polish on a flat surface so start on your trunk, balance of the machine is crucial so I'd suggest keeping your right hand on the very back of the handle and your left palm directly over the pad without squeezing. This will allow you to have leverage and not overpower the machine, focus on keeping the pad flat( this is where using your palm helps for balance), let the machine do its thing. When you get to curved panels it can be a little frustrating if the machine seems to bog down (stall), this will indicate that the pad isn't flat so play around with tilting your hands slightly until you see the pad rotating again. Also check your work as you go from different angles and light source

Lots of good advice here!  

To add on to the 'keep the pad flat' points, if possible take a video of yourself using the polisher.  That is a great way to determine if you are tilting the machine during use.  A friend was shooting video the first time I used a long throw machine, and it really pointed my 'less than ideal' technique. 

Take a video to check your technique. You are probably angling the pad.

That's exactly what I'm doing. I notice it while I'm polishing. I was polishingon my WS6 yesterday and had that problem. Especially at the top of the hood near the glass. It's shaped weird and the pad was stalling constantly.

Hey guys! Huge thanks for all the great help and advice! I really appreciate it all! Once the weather stays sunny out here in cali I'm gonna start practicing on my white car and my moms horribly scratched black car. I think for hers I'll definitely need heavy correcting compound with the microfiber pad to start with

Drink lots of beer and crank up some AC/DC and get with it. Don't be skeered  :huh:  Just start out slow and pay attention to detail.  Start out light on a small section and inspect ! Then if needed go a little more aggressive on the compound and pad again same small section apply a little more pressure but not enough to stop the motion. mark the back of your backing plate with a black felt marker so you can see if the pad stops rotating.

Everything works out put some shades on and pull it out into the sun and be prepared to be amazed. Try not to make the mistake of going too fast. Nice and slow passes take your time.

I use mainly the white and orange pads and it seems to take care of most issues I have been dealing with

Edited by Camarodude

Hey guys! Huge thanks for all the great help and advice! I really appreciate it all! Once the weather stays sunny out here in cali I'm gonna start practicing on my white car and my moms horribly scratched black car. I think for hers I'll definitely need heavy correcting compound with the microfiber pad to start with

Good luck on the black car  That color is always fun and looks amazing when done properly . Black and red are my two favorites to work on. What happens if you mess up moms car ? My mom would never notice and if she did I would run

Hey guys! I finally got around to using my SK for the first time yesterday and I have to say it came out incredibly awesome! My guinea pig was my moms black car, I always like to start off with the most difficult that way everything else is downhill imo. I tried to listen to what everybody was saying and take my time and keep the pad flat and I think I did a pretty decent job. I looked around the entire car in the sun and with a light and couldn't find any marks or scratches after. Took me a solid 9-10 hours from wash start to wax finish and was well worth it. Too bad I don't have any finishing polish!post-13943-0-84408000-1493227233_thumb.jpgpost-13943-0-48951800-1493227253.jpgpost-13943-0-71887700-1493227285_thumb.jpgpost-13943-0-92807200-1493227310_thumb.jpgpost-13943-0-51580500-1493227342_thumb.jpg

Drink lots of beer and crank up some AC/DC and get with it. Don't be skeered  :huh:  Just start out slow and pay attention to detail.  Start out light on a small section and inspect ! Then if needed go a little more aggressive on the compound and pad again same small section apply a little more pressure but not enough to stop the motion. mark the back of your backing plate with a black felt marker so you can see if the pad stops rotating.

Everything works out put some shades on and pull it out into the sun and be prepared to be amazed. Try not to make the mistake of going too fast. Nice and slow passes take your time.

I use mainly the white and orange pads and it seems to take care of most issues I have been dealing with

The only wax safe to use while drinking is the NEW Buttery wax!

Some folks go to a local salvage yard and pick up a hood to practice on.  The first vehicle that I tried my DA on was my John Deere riding mower

Not in my neighborhood briarpatch! :) Around here, folks practice on their vehicles first, THEN their precious John Deere!