Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wheel cleaner

GPW

Question

11 answers to this question

It can but it's overkill in most cases. Unless you have some brakes that put out some serious brake dust, then once every handful full of washes should be fine. I use wheel cleaner once a month and even that is probably overkill.

:iagree: Depends on the car and the type of brakes. For example, I used to own an Audi that generated lots of brake dust, and WC was needed every couple washes. With my current car, I've only needed to use the WC a few times in the last year and they still look great.

Ultimatley, how much brake dust are you seeing in between washes?

Here is my schedule and my method. I do the calipers and hats on my Tahoe everytime...the flip side, i keep sealant on the face of my wheels, so They clean easily with soap and water, plus I dont want to strip the protection.....in addition my truck is garage kept, so i try to limit my bucket washes. I do waterless, and did my first rinseless a week ago, and it went well, so there maybe more of those in the future.

Can wheel cleaner be used with every 2 bucket wash?

You can, but it's unecessary if you regularly maintain your wheels.  I have an Audi that creates tons of brake dust and I have never used Wheel Cleaner, I only use CWS to clean my wheels during a two bucket wash. 

Also, in between washes I sometimes give them a quick clean with RW/WW which makes it easier to keep them clean.

I use it about every 3 or 4 washes like others have said, when I have significant brake dust build-up, but you could use it every wash provided you follow all of the safety precautions:

- Only clean one wheel at a time

- Only clean wheels if the wheel and brakes are cool to the touch

- Do not let the Wheel Cleaner dry onto the wheel/caliper

- Very thoroughly rinse the wheel and caliper

It's a strong cleaner, so I respect it as such. I've had zero issues with it following the above guidelines  :)

Thanks all! I thought every 2 bucket wash might be overkill. It works great but I want to do no harm.

To maybe clear up some confusion, it won't necessarily harm your wheels. It just may be overkill...and cause you to have to smell it more than necessary! :lol:

Edited by falcaineer

I use it about every 3 or 4 washes like others have said, when I have significant brake dust build-up, but you could use it every wash provided you follow all of the safety precautions:

- Only clean one wheel at a time

- Only clean wheels if the wheel and brakes are cool to the touch

- Do not let the Wheel Cleaner dry onto the wheel/caliper

- Very thoroughly rinse the wheel and caliper

It's a strong cleaner, so I respect it as such. I've had zero issues with it following the above guidelines  :)

Welcome back, Dan! :)