Customer Service 866.965.0400

Paint correction/polishing

Quickstep

Question

Hi everyone,

Attached are pictures of my 2005 Nissan Titan. This truck was displaced from my garage last year in favor of a 2018 corvette. While I have tried to keep it looking good the paint is definitely showing signs of stress under the hot Texas sun. The worst area is on the roof of the cab. Any guidance on what products and procedures to help restore the finish would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2102F61F-E716-4FC0-AB6E-544868A8479E.jpeg

EB6DE0C7-3F31-48F4-987A-3AA1D8F28A52.jpeg

10 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Quickstep said:

Hi everyone,

Attached are pictures of my 2005 Nissan Titan. This truck was displaced from my garage last year in favor of a 2018 corvette. While I have tried to keep it looking good the paint is definitely showing signs of stress under the hot Texas sun. The worst area is on the roof of the cab. Any guidance on what products and procedures to help restore the finish would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2102F61F-E716-4FC0-AB6E-544868A8479E.jpeg

EB6DE0C7-3F31-48F4-987A-3AA1D8F28A52.jpeg

Unfortunately, that roof looks very familiar to a Mustang that I working on.  There are some great advise from several members on how to find out if it is the clear coat failing or if you can restore it.  I hope your truck is luckier than the Mustang and it is early enough for a correction.

I’d say that it’s early enough to save that paint.

Has it ever been decontaminated?

Has it ever been polished?

Has it ever had protection?

Just a guess, but that will probably need a compounds with an aggressive pad (a few pads to do the job right). From there finish it down with polishes, correcting and finishing before rebuilding the protection layers to your preference. 

As always, a test spot will tell a tale. Listen to it. 

Thanks Shane. No, it has never been polished before. Just washed and waxed. Seems like the damage became noticeable just recently so I’m assuming it’s due to exposure to the elements. I’ll follow your advice on a test spot. 

It appears to clearcoate failure to me too, but hopefully not!  In very bad cases when you wash it the rinse bucket will turn the color of the paint, but if you keep protection on it  (Paint Sealant will last the longest), it should last longer.  

Since it is the roof you could try covering it up with Plasti-Dip or another of the removalable paint systems. 

21 minutes ago, Quickstep said:

Thanks Shane. No, it has never been polished before. Just washed and waxed. Seems like the damage became noticeable just recently so I’m assuming it’s due to exposure to the elements. I’ll follow your advice on a test spot. 

The test spots can tell you a lot and if you are unsure with the first test spot do a second one.  In the case of the Mustang, I spent a half hour doing the two test spots and I stopped since I knew I had a major paint issue and it required expertise.  After contacting the painter, I was given some simple instructions of what not to do, such as Wax, Coat, etc., as it just results in more work for them to prepare the car for painting.