Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ceramic coatings on glasses?

crowvet

Question

The title pretty much asks the question. Kind of a silly question but ,has anyone tried ceramic sprays on their glasses? just curious, because of the results on chrome ect. I was thinking Hmmm. Don't want to do it if it would never come off or cause a problem?

6 answers to this question

3 hours ago, crowvet said:

The title pretty much asks the question. Kind of a silly question but ,has anyone tried ceramic sprays on their glasses? just curious, because of the results on chrome ect. I was thinking Hmmm. Don't want to do it if it would never come off or cause a problem?

1 hour ago, TGHaworth said:

Been wondering this myself

There is a previous thread about glasses and I know that I wouldn't use anything on mine since I have a prism in one, plus bifocals and even with insurance they were not cheap.

Do so at your own risk. Mineral glass lenses ( made out of glass) should be fine if they do not have an anti-reflective coating on them. Polycarbonate lenses do NOT like any type of solvent and can crack or craze from exposure, sometimes instantly. Plastic, Trivex and high index lenses are more chemically stable and maybe fine. Again do so at your own risk. Anti reflective coatings may not play well with these coatings and the damage done may not appear right away.

Tomorrow at the office I’ll grab some scrap lenses and see what happens. What I said above though is important to remember. Just because they look fine now doesn’t mean you may have significantly shortened their product lifetime.

I’m speaking from 37 years in the optical business, board certified optician & two plus decades moonlighting for ophthalmologists.