Customer Service 866.965.0400

washing

daddy goku

Question

7 answers to this question

Best practice is to wash the wheels and tires first (and always when cool to the touch). This reduces the time water is on the paint and the chance for water spots, and also keeps overspray from the dirty wheels from getting on an already clean surface. 

Almost always wheels and tires first with one caveat; coated wheels that haven't seen many miles since the last wash. I have a Mustang that is parked outside but not driven much. The wheels are coated. They usually aren't too bad, so they typically get washed last using car soap (Wash & Coat in my case). I do use a separate microfiber for each wheel...never the wash mitt that is used for the paint.

Edited by DonJuan692006

For a regular 2 bucket wash or anytime I am 'resetting' the wheels and tires I wash them first. 

If I am doing a Rinseless wash, I will use the leftover wash water with a Grit Guard Washboard and some older wheel brushes to clean the wheels, and sometimes a stiffer wheel brush to clean the tires.

I also wash wheels first with a different bucket and mitt. I do spray them down with the rest of the car using my Adam's foam cannon although the spray nozzle is broke so the last was with just rinse and wash. From there I move on to a two bucket method with a different mitt. 

I have my two 5 gallon buckets for the vehicle and a separate 3.5 gallon just for the wheels and exhaust tips with grit guards in all three.  I found that was the best way for me to make sure that I never mixed the nasty stuff with the vehicles stuff.   My detail cart is also set up so the bottom shelf is dedicated to the tires, wheels and exhaust tips. 

The wheels and wheel wells are always first and I usually do the exhaust tips after the wheels to get the major grime off.  If the exhaust tips need polish with stainless steel cleaner or metal polish, then I do that after the vehicle has been washed.