Customer Service 866.965.0400

Dusting & Between Washing Maintenence

So you've spent some of your hard earned moolah on a full assortment of Adams products, then invested a weekend getting your paint perfect... now what? If you're like most people you sit and watch the dust settle on your paint while reminiscing of a short time ago when your car was spotless.

WHAT CAN YOU DO?? :(

Here I intend to help you guys define your between wash process, learn when to give in and wash instead of dusting, and what NOT to do when you are dusting.

The key things to understand:

Like anything else involving touching, cleaning, polishing, washing, waxing your paint dust removal relies on some key elements to make sure you don't do more harm than good. Chief among these elements is maintaining lubricity... providing as much 'slickness' between the paint and your cloth/the contamination.

The supplies to have:

Adams Detail Spray... like any of us here don't already have that stuff in mass quantities in our garage.

Many many many many many premium (Adams) microfiber polishing cloths.

Lets talk about decisions:

The first thing to do before tackling dust removal is deciphering whether or not to just wash. There is no exact science to defining the threshold for washing, but dusting should be limited to very light surface contamination to avoid swirling up the paint. A good rule of thumb is if it looks like it mightbe to dirty to quick detail then it probably is.

If you have areas that have actual DIRT, not just dust contamination then washing is the way you should go. Pollen, common in many areas at certain times of year, can be removed with detail spray and MF, but should be closely examined, b/c if you have excessive pollen you likely have all manner of other LARGER contaminants mixed in.

Another thing to watch for is sap or bug remnants. Sap trapped in an MF cloth will collect dust and make it like a little ball of swril inducing mayhem. Same goes for bug guts... their little exoskeletal remains are hard and if picked up in your MF will probably leave you some good swirls as you move over the paint.

Just make good decisions, and again... if in doubt go the safer route and wash instead.

Lets talk process:

Most people will grab their detail spray, a MF towel, haphazardly spray and wipe in a circular pattern... WHICH IS WRONG. The towel becomes contaminated very quickly, especially on the leading edge and the lubricity of the detail spray is wasted. The circular motion used by many people in this situation is doing nothing more than adding swirls to the finish.

Dusting, like any other detailing process, should be treated in bite size chunks. Take on a panel at a time and work methodically for the best results.

First, define your starting area... lets say for this writeup a front fender. Begin by completely saturating the panel with detail spray. You should be covering every inch of the panel to the point you may even have run off.

Using a clean MF cloth folded into 4ths start at the top of the panel and make a straight swipe downward... again... a straight line. Don't wipe back and forth, don't do circles, start at the top and wipe down. At this point don't worry if you have gotten all of the DS off of the panel, you are only concerned with contaminant removal at this point.

Flip the folded towel over and repeat on the next spot, obviously right next to the first swipe. Continue this pattern using a fresh, clean portion of the towel for each swipe until there are no clean sections left to the towel.

Once the panel is complete grab your detail spray and shoot a light misting onto the entire panel. Using a fresh MF towel wipe the entire panel down to get the residue off.

Repeat this on each section/panel until the entire vehicle is dust free.

This method will ensure a safe dust removal and keep you from introducing new swirls into your finish. The primary and obvious flaw to this method is the requirement of at least 2 towels per panel which can mean a lot of MF just to dust your car.

To stretch your MF supply make sure that no section of an MF towel goes unused. Also, shaking out and closely examining a MF for contamination can lead it to be used again barring you don't find any heavy contaminants or excessive dust in the fibers.

Beyond Dusting:

So now its dust free... you wanna add a little pop, but don't want to bust out your wax? Now is the perfect time to layer on some Brilliant Spray Glaze. BSG doesn't offer any added protection, it won't regrow hair, and it certainly won't help out your love life, but it will make your paint look wet and freshly waxed.

At this point you might find yourself saying "But Dylan, I applied Americana and I was gonna apply another coat next weekend. Won't BSG hamper Americanas ability to adhere to the surface?"

No. Glazes are the antithesis of durable... in many cases they wash off with the very next washing. In warm sunny climates BSG will actually evaporate with just a few days of sitting in the sun. So to answer the concerns, it is ideal to apply Americana to bare paint or another coat of Americana, but by virtue of washing and daily exposure BSG will be long gone by the time you're ready to apply your next coat. :cheers:

Edited by Dylan06SS

Great write up. i thought you use a california duster sometimes.

I do on occasion, and theres nothing wrong with it... but there are situations that only a blast of DS and an MF are fit to handle. Just like anything the cali duster or dusting with DS require the right technique. PROCESS IS FAR MORE IMPORTANT THAN PRODUCT.

BTW -- can you edit your post to not include my ENTIRE writeup quoted in it... seems silly to have the entire thing show up twice in the first 2 posts. Just trying to keep it uncluttered. :2thumbs:

Thanks for the writeup Dylan. I will try this tonight.

I typically go around the car, panel by panel with 2 towels. First I wet the panel, use 1 towel to do a single pass over the panel to remove dust, then go back with the second towel to buff the remaining detail spray. I flip the first towel every panel(or section of panel), and the second towel every other panel. When the first towel has been used on all sides I grab another.

Betweem washings, I have a light cover (not fitted) made from two soft fleece sheets sewn together that I just lay over top. And for any light dust that gets on before I cover it, I simply use detail spray and a couple of micros and wipe it down. Works fine. :2thumbs:

Sorry just a habit. What is the right way to use a California Duster. JUst do swipes with out resting the whole thing on the paint. just have it hover over the paint.

Correct, just letting the ends of the CD to swipe gently over the paint would be the correct way of using it. Any thing more then a super light dusting and i would use Dylan's method.:patriot:

• 4 weeks later...
So to answer the concerns, it is ideal to apply Americana to bare paint or another coat of Americana, .... :cheers:

So, if you plan to use Americana, after machine polish I should skip machine wax and just go to Americana?

• 7 months later...

Ok, I'm going to necrothread. I hope no one minds, but it seems it fits here.

Does Adams sell a California Duster? The Junkman seems to recommend them for removing light dust.

We get a lot of dust in the summer where we live and I don't want to have to wash my car every day. I'd prefer to get products by Adams because I know they are the best. If Adams doesn't sell them, can anyone recommend a good one for me to buy? Thanks!

For dust removal from sitting in the garage for 4 to 5 days:

I go over the entire car lightly with my California duster then I go back over with the Detail spray (Adam's brand) and my microfiber towels.

This is great info!!! Since I'm new to Adams and serious detailing, this is great stuff!!!

:cheers:

I tricked a good friend of mine with Detail Spray today.After I rinsed his Black Trailblazer SS off I sprayed some Detail Spray on it while it was wet then wiped it off.When he came to pick it up I told him to rub the front fender.He was like man you didn't have to wax it.I told him I didn't.That's when I introduced him to the world of Adam's Detail Spray.He was blown completely away when I showed him how great it even worked on his glass.

My Camaro is my DD, and was wondering of what everyone thought of this technique... I usually dust it off with the california duster then use the WCW the way Dylan does with the DS, then I use the DS to go back over to get off the residue? Is this just product over kill? I am just worried about scratching my car especially since it's black. :cheers:

Ok, I'm going to necrothread. I hope no one minds, but it seems it fits here.

Does Adams sell a California Duster? The Junkman seems to recommend them for removing light dust.

We get a lot of dust in the summer where we live and I don't want to have to wash my car every day. I'd prefer to get products by Adams because I know they are the best. If Adams doesn't sell them, can anyone recommend a good one for me to buy? Thanks!

Cali car duster can be bought almost anywhere that sells automotive supplies. Make sure to get the original one w/ the wood handle.

My Camaro is my DD, and was wondering of what everyone thought of this technique... I usually dust it off with the california duster then use the WCW the way Dylan does with the DS, then I use the DS to go back over to get off the residue? Is this just product over kill? I am just worried about scratching my car especially since it's black. :cheers:

Keep in mind this writeup was done prior to the development/release of Waterless Wash, but the general technique still applies.

The process isn't overkill, anything you can do to minimize dust contamination, and add gloss to your preference is good... if its working for you don't change it.