Customer Service 866.965.0400

My Plum Crazy Challenger is at the dealer!

JoeSyko

So what exactly was "The Thing"??

Over 20 years ago I traveled that section of interstate with my Dad and I made him pull in to check it out. As a teenager, those signs drove me nuts with curiosity. We paid a few bucks to go into some secluded part of the building. They were obviously trying for the freakshow affect. I really don't remember what was inside other than it's some kind of museum. My young self was pretty disappointed. All that hype and I never really got to see a "Thing". I think that I will go check it out again sometime if I'm ever that way. Maybe I'll feel differently about it now.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posted Images

Over 20 years ago I traveled that section of interstate with my Dad and I made him pull in to check it out. As a teenager, those signs drove me nuts with curiosity. We paid a few bucks to go into some secluded part of the building. They were obviously trying for the freakshow affect. I really don't remember what was inside other than it's some kind of museum. My young self was pretty disappointed. All that hype and I never really got to see a "Thing". I think that I will go check it out again sometime if I'm ever that way. Maybe I'll feel differently about it now.

Seeing your "Thing" pictures brought back memories. I stopped in there way back in 1992 while driving cross country after college. It was some goofy supposed-to-be-scary thing where you'd pay a few bucks, walk past some questionable curiosity artifacts (one was this old german car that they said might have belonged to Hitler, but "the thing" is they couldn't prove it) and then finally into this last room where there was a mummified "thing" under plexiglass. I guess the story was it was found out there in the desert or something. I think I have a pic of it somewhere... maybe I'll dig it up and scan it. But whatever it was, I got the feeling it wasn't real. :willy:

Seeing your "Thing" pictures brought back memories. I stopped in there way back in 1992 while driving cross country after college. It was some goofy supposed-to-be-scary thing where you'd pay a few bucks, walk past some questionable curiosity artifacts (one was this old german car that they said might have belonged to Hitler, but "the thing" is they couldn't prove it) and then finally into this last room where there was a mummified "thing" under plexiglass. I guess the story was it was found out there in the desert or something. I think I have a pic of it somewhere... maybe I'll dig it up and scan it. But whatever it was, I got the feeling it wasn't real. :willy:

Yeah...that's pretty much what I remember about it too. After seeing those signs for 300 miles or so you arrive with a much higher expectation than what it could ever hope to deliver. :loser:

Joe:

I forgot to mention this to you earlier. You're going to think I'm nuts but go out and buy a bottle of peanut oil. What happens due to environment exposure you get little white dots that appear on your hood stripes. Make sure you get them out in a timely manner or else they don't really go away. Tried SHR and such and the only way to remove these white dots is through peanut oil. But don't get peanut oil on the paint....obviously lol

Joe:

I forgot to mention this to you earlier. You're going to think I'm nuts but go out and buy a bottle of peanut oil. What happens due to environment exposure you get little white dots that appear on your hood stripes. Make sure you get them out in a timely manner or else they don't really go away. Tried SHR and such and the only way to remove these white dots is through peanut oil. But don't get peanut oil on the paint....obviously lol

Cool...I'll do that. Are these white dots something that WILL happen or MAY happen?

Joe:

Great tip! Is this only for whatever material your particular stripes are made of or for all vinyl stripes?

Great tip! Is this only for whatever material your particular stripes are made of or for all vinyl stripes?

Well, the stripes on the srt's are vinyl, but I can't comment on the effect of peanut oil on other vinyl stripes because I have no experience with it. All I know is that it's effective and greatly reduced the white spots!

• 2 weeks later...

Day #5....what? You thought it was over?

Well.....the trip was over but I still had some unfinished business to take care of. I spent half the day Monday Feb. 8th cleaning both cars and got my first shots of the Challenger in the California sun.

P1070460.jpg

P1070461.jpg

P1070462.jpg

P1070463.jpg

P1070464.jpg

She's a beaut. All that painter's tape did wonders to protect the finish. I had only 1 tiny chip and it was no where even close to where I had taped. That little chip was between the rear wheel and the door. Also, there were some scuff marks on the flat area of the nose just in front of the head lights. I'm not sure exactly what caused it but my best guess is where the painter's tape flapped in the wind. I couldn't see it was loose while on the trip since it was behind the bra. No matter, it buffed out.

The hardest part of the cleaning? The wheels. Not so much the outside but the insides were horrible. I couldn't believe how much road grime and brake dust built up after 3000 miles.

I took some shots of both cars in the garage. They look fine together.

P1070474.jpg

P1070475.jpg

The G8's paint has color changing characteristics which is pretty cool. In one light it will seem blue and in another is is purple. This next picture, I have the flash turned on. I was pretty surprised at how close the purples are.

P1070468.jpg

All cleaned up & tucked away in their beds.

Sweet pics - get used to the brake dust. The stock Brembo pads throw a ton of dust. Invest in ceramics - I'm probably switching sometime this summer.

I hear ya. I have been reading all the chat about the brake dust but I still was not prepared for it. The sludge on the inside of the wheels was so thick I was literally scraping it off with my fingers and my hands looked like I was making mud pies. :willy:

As far as ceramics go....My only concern is that some people are claiming the performance of the aftermarket pads are subpar compared to the stock pads.

I hear ya. I have been reading all the chat about the brake dust but I still was not prepared for it. The sludge on the inside of the wheels was so thick I was literally scraping it off with my fingers and my hands looked like I was making mud pies. :willy:

As far as ceramics go....My only concern is that some people are claiming the performance of the aftermarket pads are subpar compared to the stock pads.

I can't speak for the Challenger but I have hawk pads on my Cobalt, had them on a Camaro, and put them on a friends Vette and they have some serious bite. Way better then the stock pads on all those cars.

Archived