Customer Service 866.965.0400

Are my microfiber towels worn out?

BRZN

Question

How can you tell when your microfiber towels are worn out?

I've started to have an issue and not sure why, could my towels be the problem, or could it be something else?

The car's in the garage: clean and cool to the touch, lightly dust her off with a California Duster to remove any surface dust. Next, I spray a fine mist of DS on the roof and go to wipe it with the towel and it smears pulling lint out of the towels glueing it to the finish. WW does the same thing. I've tried spraying the towels rather than the panel, and it's the same thing. Both my DS and WCW are only four months old and they do the same thing with the G companies towels that are slightly older than my Adams ones. I end up having to buff off the mess with a WCW towel. I hate putting that much pressure onto the finish unless I'm removing wax.

I wash my towels seperatly from any other laundry with a small amount of Woolite on the delicate cycle. Hang them to air dry then put them in the dryer on air fluff for 12 minute without any types of fabric softener. I do place 1/4 cup of distilled White vinegar in the rinse cycle, but add another rinse after that to remove any residule vinegar.

She has two coats of Americana on her, there are also two coats of another companies carnauba wax under the Americana that was applied prior to the Americana's purchase in late April. The other two coats were applied back in November after a complete paint correction: then she was covered for the winter. The smearing, sticky lint mess is happening on the Clear Bra too, it only has Adams Clear Polish on it with no other waxes. I've thought the Americana was melting, except it's not on the Clear Bra.

I'm throughly confused, wiping my car down shouldn't be this much an issue, any ideas?

21 answers to this question

Yea Ray me too, wiping my car down shouldn't be this difficult! Give you a tip though: Don't get started with boiling your towels in a large pot on the stove just prior to someone planning on cooking dinner! ;)

I may have to do it before my roommates cook dinner. It may be a good way to stop them from "borrowing" my stuff.

I boiled mine. I got a nice big three gallon pot of water to a full rolling boil on the stove top and added the towels (only did four at a time) turned the heat down to a slow boil with the lid on and boiled them for ten minutes. I stirred and mixed them up several times during the boil so none of them ended up sitting against the bottom or side of the pot while the heat was on. The first four I did for five minutes, I waited to see how they turned out before I did any more and found one of them still smeared the DS a bit, so if the five minumtes I boiled that first group for didn't completely clean them I'm hopeing the additional five did.

OK, I have the same problem with some of my older microfiber towels. Just to be crystal clear....am I actually boiling them in the pot of water on the stove for 5-10 minutes or am I letting them soak in water that has been boiled for 5-10 minutes? I would also imagine that the idea is to keep them moving in the pot as well, right?

Yea Ray me too, wiping my car down shouldn't be this difficult! Give you a tip though: Don't get started with boiling your towels in a large pot on the stove just prior to someone planning on cooking dinner! ;)

Looks like I might boil some of my towels this week too as I'm starting to have the same issue as Dave on a few of my towels.

My old man won 2nd by the sheer fact that he was the only IBM GTO there that day. I think he spent a total of 2 hours washing it...SOB.

Hey Dave, Glad that worked out for you!:thumbsup:

You going to Corvette's this weekend?

Not planning on it, but you going to be there all weekend? Perhaps Sunday. Plans are SkiPopeye (Charlie) and I are to "play" with his father's car all day Saturday ;) His Dad's car took second place in its class at the SVGTO club's All Pontiac show last Saturday.

Figured the simplest and easiest of the suggestions was to boil a few of the towels for five minutes yesterday evening. Hung them to dry and gave them a try once I got home from work. With both WCW and DS.

Now, it's cooler here than it's been for the last several months and the humidity is pretty high so don't know if that's played into it..

But it seems like it's worked! What in the world does boiling the microfiber towels do to them?

Hey Dave, Glad that worked out for you!:thumbsup:

You going to Corvette's this weekend?

Figured the simplest and easiest of the suggestions was to boil a few of the towels for five minutes yesterday evening. Hung them to dry and gave them a try once I got home from work. With both WCW and DS.

Now, it's cooler here than it's been for the last several months and the humidity is pretty high so don't know if that's played into it..

But it seems like it's worked! What in the world does boiling the microfiber towels do to them?

Washing alone can only clean them up so much... the fibers hold on to little bits of polish and wax residue, detail spray, etc. Also, unless you have a separate machine for drying just your MF, there is some trace amounts of fabric softener in the barrel of your dryer as well. All that builds up, the fibers get matted, tangled, and the towel just gets generally tired.

Boiling helps them release all the stuff thats trapped in the fibers and refreshes the fibers.

On a microscopic level microfiber has a structure to it (illustrated below versus a cotton fiber) Over time those grooves get caked up, or stuck together, they don't clean well, maybe drag a little, and don't perform as they should. Boiling just restores the fiber back to its original shape and gets it as clean as possible.

Its not something you want to do often as the heat can help, but also hurt the towel if you were to melt the fibers.

513px-Microfiber-vs-Cotton.png

I've thought of actually stripping her: doing the Dawn dish soap wash then claying to remove all the wax and starting over. I really don't want/have the time to do that right now unless that seems to be the consensus from the board as to my problem.

It sounds as though you have too much wax on it, but I'll let the experts chime in.

Don't know about claying: doing the "baggie test" she's as smooth as a babies behind.

I've thought of actually stripping her: doing the Dawn dish soap wash then claying to remove all the wax and starting over. I really don't want/have the time to do that right now unless that seems to be the consensus from the board as to my problem.

never heard nor used vinegar when washing the towels. my towels are several months old and i use them every weekend with no problems.

i treat them just like you do but without vinegar and no air fluff in the dryer, i just shake them on all four sides to fluff them out.

maybe try soaking them in boiling water for 5 minutes and see if that helps!

Archived