Customer Service 866.965.0400

How Do I Restore an Etched Windshield?

Z71_Denali

Question

I remember seeing a how to on the show "Trucks" awhile back where they restored a 1950s chevy pickup windshield.

i can't find on their website what products they used, but i remember the difference was night and day when they finished it. :confused:

does anyone know how to restore an etched windshield like i saw on that show? :help:

my wife's 5 year old caddy is so annoying to drive in the morning when the sun is coming up, and the specks and swirls appear like a detailing horror film! :explode:

before you smarties say it, i would prefer to attempt to repair the glass i got, rather than taking the easy and expensive way out by replacing it. :pc:

18 answers to this question

i think i will start parking it behind the right field fence at the ballpark so i have something to aim for when i'm playing softball :lolsmack:

Or you could save yourself a lot of time by throwing the ball at it yourself....Just saying....:grouphug:

I would worry about the optics being changed when you remove enough windshield glass to correct a scratch - it is better to have an optically good windshield to determine distance correctly, rather than a distorted windshield.

I had this distortion problem in a new truck (weird optical aberration right in field of view, terrible for judging distance) and had the dealership replace the windshield immediately, which they did.

Not only does it distort the optical value of the glass, it also compromises the integrity of the glass in the event of an impact. That can be a problem in court with a very litigious lawyer.

I would worry about the optics being changed when you remove enough windshield glass to correct a scratch - it is better to have an optically good windshield to determine distance correctly, rather than a distorted windshield.

I had this distortion problem in a new truck (weird optical aberration right in field of view, terrible for judging distance) and had the dealership replace the windshield immediately, which they did.

I thought I'd chime in here, albeit late.

Typically taking an etching out of glass, like a windshield wiper that wiped without a wiper blade in it and grooved the glass, or a theft etch code that you're trying to get off the glass requires a jeweler's rouge compound and a small drill with a felt tipped head on it to grind the affected area. And yes, as stated above, you can remove the etching, but you also distort the glass by removing and rutting the glass where you work on it.

Just FYI, this very morning I had a chip repaired on my VW windshield. The rep at the place – Winners Window Tint in Rockville (which was excellent, btw) – said that 99% of insurance companies will cover chip repair, with no deductible, in Maryland. I'm sure the policies vary by state. :cheers:

i think its only covered if the windshield is actually "damaged"

my damaged and their damaged are very different.

i know they fix windwhield cracks for free, but i have none, just tiny specks and swirls.

i think i will start parking it behind the right field fence at the ballpark so i have something to aim for when i'm playing softball :lolsmack:

lol they only fix it if its cracked? HAHA I literally laughed at that. Seems like a no brainer to me but my idea is technically illegal soooo..

Well anyways in Florida(I know you dont live in Florida) they consider chips and scratches damaged enough to replace it for free. Its obstructing your view isnt it? ISNT IT!!! Tell them the glare is bad and it can cause an accident. My mom did it to her old suburban a while back, and didnt even charge the deductible.

I think I saw that show. I didnt pay much attention to it because I had a scratch in my old jeeps window and I researched how to remove it. Everything I saw told me to just live with it. The process is basically sanding the scratch out which is ok but if you sand to much youll make it worse because youll be able to see a distortion in the glass.

Call your insurance company, in Florida insurance covers free windshield replacements. Texas might have the same deal.

i think its only covered if the windshield is actually "damaged"

my damaged and their damaged are very different.

i know they fix windwhield cracks for free, but i have none, just tiny specks and swirls.

They likely used the glass polishing kit from Eastwood... its a very CrAzY level of abrasives to literally CUT the glass. A friend of mine attempted this on a truck he was restoring - he got the damage out of the glass, but it distorted the optics badly... from the drivers seat it was like looking thru a funhouse mirror so he ended up wasting his time b/c the windshield was replaced anyways.

I think I saw that show. I didnt pay much attention to it because I had a scratch in my old jeeps window and I researched how to remove it. Everything I saw told me to just live with it. The process is basically sanding the scratch out which is ok but if you sand to much youll make it worse because youll be able to see a distortion in the glass.

Call your insurance company, in Florida insurance covers free windshield replacements. Texas might have the same deal.

i've tried just clay then SHR & RP by hand, even BSG didn't help... no PC and no 4" spot pads in my inventory yet!

i was guessing i would need something to put on my cordless drill to get them out, but i can't conceive the machine polishes made for paint to work on the glass.

What have you tried?

I like clay with Adams glass cleaner, and then SHR or FMP (depending on the severity) with the orange or yellow pad and a rotary tool. The 4 inch pads on a 110vac drill work well in a pinch.

Otherwise google it for more "commercial" tools.

Chris

Archived