Customer Service 866.965.0400

Glaze then Seal or Seal then Glaze

MikeSoFlo

Question

I've seen a few different posts where people are mentioning Brilliant Glaze and Paint Sealant. Some say Brilliant Glaze first and then Paint Sealant it and others say Paint Sealant first and then Brilliant Glaze ... I'm sure there is no right or wrong answer when it comes to this but WHY ... WHY do you do it one way vs the other? Just curious to see what the mindset it. 

My thought is lay down the Brilliant Glaze first to add shine and depth, then use Paint Sealant to seal the Glaze and the paint and then lay down your choice of wax for protection and added shine. 

Edited by MikeSoFlo

15 answers to this question

I apply Paint Sealant first because it is designed to adhere to bare clean paint and will last much longer when used that way.

Brilliant Glaze can be added any time because it won't build up.  Paint Sealant can't.  Makes sense to me to put Brilliant Glaze on top.

Best advise I can give is for you to try it both ways and do whichever works best for you.

Most will recommend lps then glaze and I tend to agree. It just makes sense from the most to least durable standpoint. 

The elephant in the room is the fact that Adam himself has said on multiple occasions that it doesn't make any difference which order they are applied. 

I think it just boils down to personal preference. If Adam says glaze won't affect lps durability who am I to disagree?

Seems to me LPS then glaze will give you the best LPS longevity but the glaze is not going to last long. Even though commonly done glaze first it would have to compromise the sealant slightly.

For me its LPS first and add glaze when needed for car shows.

22 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

My preference is PS then BG. The "why?" is explained in this article:

Thanks for reposting that ... Looks like the recommended process is Sealant, Glaze then Wax. Adam does say in a video, Glaze first then Sealant. 

As I said when I started, I'm sure there is no "right and wrong" with this. Just wanted to see what everyone's doing and why they do it that way. 

4 hours ago, MikeSoFlo said:

I've seen a few different posts where people are mentioning Brilliant Glaze and Paint Sealant. Some say Brilliant Glaze first and then Paint Sealant it and others say Paint Sealant first and then Brilliant Glaze ... I'm sure there is no right or wrong answer when it comes to this but WHY ... WHY do you do it one way vs the other? Just curious to see what the mindset it. 

My thought is lay down the Brilliant Glaze first to add shine and depth, then use Paint Sealant to seal the Glaze and the paint and then lay down your choice of wax for protection and added shine. 

Mike,

That's what I do lay down BG first, I even apply BG  over my polish residue then wipe them off in one shot. The residue wipes off why easier.

1 hour ago, pirahnah3 said:

I would say the answer is Yes. The reason to put down the BG first is that it has light filling properties that can aid in hiding minor imperfections, and the argument against it is that without the direct paint contact you shorten its lifespan. (As the article posted by @falcaineer shows) 

That's probably the best summary I've read about this eternal question, Jim. Lay out pros and cons, then let the user decide. :cheers:

@MikeSoFlo...over to you!

2 hours ago, falcaineer said:

That's probably the best summary I've read about this eternal question, Jim. Lay out pros and cons, then let the user decide. :cheers:

@MikeSoFlo...over to you!

How else do you make a decision, look at both options and make a choice. 

2 minutes ago, pirahnah3 said:

How else do you make a decision, look at both options and make a choice. 

Sometimes it's seeing the forest through the trees, especially for me. For whatever reason, I have it engrained in me it's PS first...but others certainly vouch for the other way around. In the end, it's their car and desired end result.

I looked at this question for a while before I made the big decision to do two of my vehicles by flipping them.  Both are Dark Red which allowed me to get a real comparison on how they looked and my preference for looks is BG then PS.  What I don't have yet, is the longevity since it has not been on the vehicles long enough.  In my opinion, if I get 3 months from either, I'll be more than happy.  Both vehicles have been topped with Buttery Wax and Ceramic Boost, so the only difference is the order of the BG and PS

Edited by RayS

If you’ve polished your paint or done any paint correcting, BG shouldn’t be needed to fill imperfections. Also, if there is a coating on the paint, same thing. The only time it would be helpful is if the paint is bare and you then want to fill. 

I still prefer PS on bottom for longevity reasons and more protection. The BG can be applied easier and more often than PS and so the filling can be done easier. 

4 hours ago, BHarris23 said:

If you’ve polished your paint or done any paint correcting, BG shouldn’t be needed to fill imperfections. Also, if there is a coating on the paint, same thing. The only time it would be helpful is if the paint is bare and you then want to fill. 

I still prefer PS on bottom for longevity reasons and more protection. The BG can be applied easier and more often than PS and so the filling can be done easier. 

Depending on the condition of the vehicle, corrections aren't always 100%. Especially if the vehicle has been neglected for years. If BG has filling capabilities, I could see the value in laying that down first and then sealing it. I guess what it boils down to is let the vehicle tell you what order it needs to be laid down in. For a perfect vehicle, PS then BG then Wax. For a not so perfect vehicle, BG then PS then Wax. 

Edited by MikeSoFlo