Customer Service 866.965.0400

topper for sealant....

freshlex287

Question

hey guys whats up! im looking to seal my car in the coming month for the winter and was wonder what to top it with? im thinkin of going with buttery wax. what would you guys recommend? also is it ok after intial seal/wax to use the detail spray between  as a maintenance and then every 3-4 weeks use guard and gloss to maintain protection rather than another coat of buttery wax? thanks for the advice guys! appreciate it!

24 answers to this question

2 hours ago, freshlex287 said:

hey guys whats up! im looking to seal my car in the coming month for the winter and was wonder what to top it with? im thinkin of going with buttery wax. what would you guys recommend? also is it ok after intial seal/wax to use the detail spray between  as a maintenance and then every 3-4 weeks use guard and gloss to maintain protection rather than another coat of buttery wax? thanks for the advice guys! appreciate it!

Where are you located? "Seal my car... for winter" implies a colder climate? Assuming that's the case, I'd worry less about shine/gloss and go for something that provides better/longer-lasting protection. With that in mind, I recommend either a ceramic coating maintained with Ceramic Boost, or Paint Sealant maintained with H2O Guard & Gloss. I don't bother with wax or Detail Spray in the winter, since they're less durable than either of the previous options.

3 hours ago, buffalobob920 said:

I use Americana wax on top of paint sealant or I use Adams patriot wax or use something with sio2 in it 

Yup!!  I have my rides Ceramic Coated now,  but that's exactly what I used before.  Lasts a lot longer than the Buttery Wax. 

16 hours ago, Norton said:

Where are you located? "Seal my car... for winter" implies a colder climate? Assuming that's the case, I'd worry less about shine/gloss and go for something that provides better/longer-lasting protection. With that in mind, I recommend either a ceramic coating maintained with Ceramic Boost, or Paint Sealant maintained with H2O Guard & Gloss. I don't bother with wax or Detail Spray in the winter, since they're less durable than either of the previous options.

i am located in NY and the winters can be brutal and it is my daily driver. is it ok to top it with G&G right after i do the sealant? or should i do it after the first wash? thanks for the help and advice.

HI @freshlex287, NY is a pretty big state and the climate is very different according to the region.  I'm originally from the Finger Lakes region, then closer to Buffalo and just those 90 miles made a significant difference in weather.   If you are looking at winterizing to go between Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo, which was my old circuit or are living on Long Island, the recommendations are going to give different from my view.

As @Nickfire20 said above about the sealant with Ceramic Boost is great, for a wax I prefer Ceramic Paste Wax over Patriots wax unless it is a garage queen show car. If it is a white car, then I would suggest the H20 Guard and Gloss and then you can use Ceramic Waterless Wash after stopping the pay & spray to knock of the road trash.    All of these are great options as is the Ceramic Spray Coating since that would even make it through a 8 month Watertown or 7 month Oswego winter.  

19 minutes ago, RayS said:

HI @freshlex287, NY is a pretty big state and the climate is very different according to the region.  I'm originally from the Finger Lakes region, then closer to Buffalo and just those 90 miles made a significant difference in weather.   If you are looking at winterizing to go between Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo, which was my old circuit or are living on Long Island, the recommendations are going to give different from my view.

As @Nickfire20 said above about the sealant with Ceramic Boost is great, for a wax I prefer Ceramic Paste Wax over Patriots wax unless it is a garage queen show car. If it is a white car, then I would suggest the H20 Guard and Gloss and then you can use Ceramic Waterless Wash after stopping the pay & spray to knock of the road trash.    All of these are great options as is the Ceramic Spray Coating since that would even make it through a 8 month Watertown or 7 month Oswego winter.  

i am from rockland county which is about 30 minutes from NYC...i think for now im going to go with sealant and guard and gloss until i pick up patriot wax.  can i use ceramic paste wax w/o having a ceramic coating on my car? im new to the adams game so im taking it all in on the go lol thanks

54 minutes ago, freshlex287 said:

i am from rockland county which is about 30 minutes from NYC...i think for now im going to go with sealant and guard and gloss until i pick up patriot wax.  can i use ceramic paste wax w/o having a ceramic coating on my car? im new to the adams game so im taking it all in on the go lol thanks

PS and HGG are great options with longevity. Yes, you can use Ceramic Paste Wax without it being coated, but make it your base layer since it's the most durable of all Adam's waxes. Then, top with HGG or any of the silica-infused products since it's in the ceramic line.

If I may, what is your goal with Patriot? Why do you want to use that vs. longer-term products if it's a daily? Totally your call, just since you're new we want to make sure you're on the right track...

9 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

PS and HGG are great options with longevity. Yes, you can use Ceramic Paste Wax without it being coated, but make it your base layer since it's the most durable of all Adam's waxes. Then, top with HGG or any of the silica-infused products since it's in the ceramic line.

If I may, what is your goal with Patriot? Why do you want to use that vs. longer-term products if it's a daily? Totally your call, just since you're new we want to make sure you're on the right track...

no specific reason...couple people recommended it in the thread earlier so i thought that was the way to go. havent bought it yet so i can always pivot. i think im gonna start with PS and HGG Since i have both of those already. can i do the PS and the HGG Right away? or should i wait until next wash? also good to know i can use the ceramic paste wax as well. i like to have options! lol

9 minutes ago, freshlex287 said:

no specific reason...couple people recommended it in the thread earlier so i thought that was the way to go. havent bought it yet so i can always pivot. i think im gonna start with PS and HGG Since i have both of those already. can i do the PS and the HGG Right away? or should i wait until next wash? also good to know i can use the ceramic paste wax as well. i like to have options! lol

Yes, you can do the HGG immediately after PS. If you switch to Ceramic Paste Wax, you'll want to strip the PS and HGG first. Check out the article I posted above if you haven't already.

11 minutes ago, freshlex287 said:

Oh, and Patriot is a great wax with a rich, deep shine. It just won't give you the longevity of durability of the PS, HGG or Ceramic Paste Wax.

On 9/16/2019 at 6:23 PM, falcaineer said:

hey @falcaineer i actually picked up some ceramic paste wax on your recommendation and was curious as what you do to maintain after washes? should i use detail spray as my drying agent as usual and then every 3-4 washes use HGG?  do i need to use ceramic boost instead of detail spray ?  and if i use ceramic boost do i just forget about HGG all together? thanks for the help

2 minutes ago, freshlex287 said:

hey @falcaineer i actually picked up some ceramic paste wax on your recommendation and was curious as what you do to maintain after washes? should i use detail spray as my drying agent as usual and then every 3-4 washes use HGG?  do i need to use ceramic boost instead of detail spray ?  and if i use ceramic boost do i just forget about HGG all together? thanks for the help

Hey, you should use ceramic waterless wash as a typical detail spray if you have that. It works great! And use ceramic boost once every 4-6 weeksp

55 minutes ago, freshlex287 said:

I have 4 vehicles that I maintain that have Ceramic Paste Wax and I use Wash + Coat for a full wash,  Ceramic Waterless Wash for the garage queen and about once every 4-6 weeks Ceramic Boost as a drying aid.    Prior to Wash + Coat and Ceramic Waterless being available, I used Ultra Shampoo and regular Waterless Wash and never had a problem, but the Cermaic variants do tend to work better on the CPW.   Ceramic Waterless Wash also makes an excellent drying aid.

You can use Detail Spray on CPW and I did so multiple times until the other products became available. You can also apply Brilliant Glaze on it when you want the extra pop for a weekend.

10 hours ago, RayS said:

I have 4 vehicles that I maintain that have Ceramic Paste Wax and I use Wash + Coat for a full wash,  Ceramic Waterless Wash for the garage queen and about once every 4-6 weeks Ceramic Boost as a drying aid.    Prior to Wash + Coat and Ceramic Waterless being available, I used Ultra Shampoo and regular Waterless Wash and never had a problem, but the Cermaic variants do tend to work better on the CPW.   Ceramic Waterless Wash also makes an excellent drying aid.

You can use Detail Spray on CPW and I did so multiple times until the other products became available. You can also apply Brilliant Glaze on it when you want the extra pop for a weekend.

so would using HGG cause any every 4 weeks or so causing any ill effects on the CPW? im assuming no since they both have SiO2?

15 hours ago, freshlex287 said:

so would using HGG cause any every 4 weeks or so causing any ill effects on the CPW? im assuming no since they both have SiO2?

The "hybrid technology" HGG is fine over your CPW as it contains silica (and other additives like carnauba). The old grape smelling one wouldn't be your best choice, however.

On 9/27/2019 at 9:30 PM, falcaineer said:

The "hybrid technology" HGG is fine over your CPW as it contains silica (and other additives like carnauba). The old grape smelling one wouldn't be your best choice, however.

so basically as long as the product contains SiO2  its fine to put over CPW...or any ceramic product for that matter. thats what im gathering from all my research. thx for ur help

15 hours ago, freshlex287 said:

so basically as long as the product contains SiO2  its fine to put over CPW...or any ceramic product for that matter. thats what im gathering from all my research. thx for ur help

Yes, as @RayS also said. And to help, anything on the silica-infused site is ideal. 

https://adamspolishes.com/collections/sio2-infused