Customer Service 866.965.0400

First Cars

Osok

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First car I bought was in highschool back in 1995 before I turned 16, so car sat a month or two. We found a clean 1979 Mustang pace car with the 5.0 with around 80k miles on it for $3,000. Previous owner bought it off this lil old lady who owned it since new I believe, and sold it to him. Then he had it and his family wanted him to sell it for vacation money. I would take it to cruise nights and car shows back then. The looks I would get was priceless. Going to see if I have real pics of it, heres some pics not of my actual car. Car was clean in and out other few faded decals, and tiny tiny rust bubble. I went to private high school, and all you saw was kids driving daddy or mommys 40-50k bmw mercades etc. Or they spent 30k on a brand new car for them, and I was always getting harassed for the color and decals on the car. Almost went to fist a cuffs a few times, and got really really annoying. SORRY I HAD A REAL CAR lol. Car only made 140hp stock, and I was always asked how fast it was or the horsepower. Car had an upgraded holley carb, edelbrock intake plenum, performance air cleaner setup, I switched from single exhaust to dual, lil timing bump, and had a small stall in the C4. I would always say they make 140 stock Id be lucky to make around 200 now, and kids with v6s in that power range automatically assumed from their car having higher hp numbers its automatically "faster" even tho its a four door family car. :lol: I had kids in my grade with a brand new 96 impala SS, 96 dodge ram pace car, or a lot of brand new jeep wranglers. I eventually spent 2k on a 92 ranger with almost 100k miles for a DD to keep the pace car clean. Had the car for about 4 years, and in 98 I wanted something manual. So I sold it for a five speed 1994 mustang GT in chome yellow blk interior. I should have kept the pace car if I had another chance. I had people tell me that with 10,000 made it would never be worth anything, but it seems like their want has gone up as well as the price. :burnout:

197920Mustang20Pace.jpg

1979_MustangIndyPaceCar_ForSale1e.jpg

Edited by GGEVOXFTMFW

Man am I jealous at some of the first time cars on here. I got a used 73 Vega with spoilers and I thought I was really cool! Of course less than a year later it started huffing oil like they all did. It was time for an engine transplant and put a 215 V8 from the early 60's in it. A guy in Michigan made a swap kit and used the stock muncie 4 speed and rearend. It was a sleeper after that and I loved running the smogged out Mustangs then. 215 cu in and 200 HP...I thought I died and went to heaven.

Chris I am jealous that your first car was a 72 Chevelle, I couldn't afford to be in that arena.

My first car was a 96 bonneville. I still miss that car sometimes. It was given to me by my father when he bought a 2002 Escalade. Shortly after he bought the Escalade His company asked us to move to England. He went over six months before the rest of the Family did. He did not want the Escalade to sit so I drove it around. I thought I was baller then. I was a sophemore in High School at the time. After we came back from England the Tranny on the Bonneville went and I procured a 2001 Subaru Outback 6 cylinder. That thing was a beast. My brother has it now and it is still running strong. In this time period I also had a 2004 Mustang Mach 1 that was officially my brothers but I got to drive it more. Which leads to the first car I actually purchased. My current car the 09 G8 GT.

I learned how to drive in an 81 buick park ave but....my first car to myself was...

1988 nissan pulsar. She was Gold with Black trim. No pictures of her because it was before digital cameras and I didn't get pics back then...but here is what she looked like...Her name was Goldie!

4073249233_4c6c141a7d_z.jpg

My first car was a 1965 Chevy II SS ,4 speed 283 Burgundy with black interior. This is not actually it but same color. I know i have a few Polaroids of the car I'll have to see if I can find them. My folks paid 500.00 for it and I worked all summer pumping gas to pay for it. Many years later it was rotting away in the backyard covered by an old army tent and I told Dad just to get rid of it. Of course I wish i had it back now.

My first was a '79 CJ7. I bought it when I was 15. It didn't run, the floor boards were rotted out and you could see the road below you. The body was held on by two body mount bolts. It was blue with white interior, white soft top, white wheels and 30" tires. It looked like a mail truck! I have pictures but have to upload them. No digital cameras then. The 258 six was an ok motor, but the 3 speed just killed it on the highway.

I rebuilt it over the years and learned a ton on that thing! I had the doors and top on two days a year!

Last pictures I took before I sold it:

15057926.jpg

15058262.jpg

28069733.jpg

15057911.jpg

Great Thread!:burnout:

My first car was a red 1963 Chevrolet Impala, 2dr, hardtop, 327 4 barrel, with a 3 on the tree.

Worked at the local Conoco, pumping gas, it was a full service station, and premium gas was like 39 cents a gallon.

Of course I have no pictures of it.

Bluezey:pc:

• 2 weeks later...

Starting to show my age here. 1st car was a 1965 chevrolet Covair. Had to save up the $50 bucks to buy her but it did the job untill I bought my 1st Mustang. 1969 Mustang mach 1 428 cobra jet for $800. If I new then what I know now I would still have her and a asset of around $100,000.00

Guest Gone & Forgotten
Thought it'd be cool to see what everyone started off with in the auto world. So post up your first car you owned (and a pic if ya got it).

For me..my first car was a 1970 Impala V8..passed on by my parents. The first car I actually purchased was a 1989 Plymouth Horizon hatchback..ouch!

3460760023_medium.jpg

holy crap.

When I saw the name of the thread, I thought "oh god, my 1980 Dodge Omni" - Then I open the thread and ....

I was 16 in 1987, still not sexually active and that car didn't help matters any. Drove it for a year and saved up. Parents wouldn't let me get another car so I did a neutral drop in the Omni and locked R and Drive gears together- Moved up (lol) to an 88 Shelby Charger - The 80's sucked, the 80's cars sucked even more. I've owned 38 cars since then. I'll be 40 next month.

Hey! I had to wear a helmet when I was younger too! Glad I'm not alone.

Does this count? Thinking of the wearing a helmet comment Mr. KicktoTheJunk. This is my FIRST vehicle. My Father and I built it with plans from the back of Boys Life Magazine and an old Briggs and Stratton Lawn Mower Engine! Should have raked the front forks out a bit, snapped them off.

Although I haven't found an actual picture of my second car yet, I did find one like it except for the wheels as mine had the OEM aluminum turbine wheels. I picked it up in 1981 on my 18th birthday when I was a senior in HS.

Oh what I would give to have it back as I had a lot of fun in it:burnout:

Edited by Pure-Vision

I've put on my 72 MG, and my 79 CJ5 how about my third car? A 1972 Ford Torino with a Big Block 429 Cobra Jet:

1972FordTorino429CobraJet.jpg

Had it around 1982ish, I remember being able to watch the gas gauge move as fast as the minute hand on the clock when floored: 6/8mpg city!